Has anyone tried cutting rock?

Jeremy Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone attempted to cut live rock down to make them easier to stack? I was thinking about renting a stone cutter and cutting some of my rocks down to make them more "shelf" like. I don't want to buy new rock if its not needed.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone attempted to cut live rock down to make them easier to stack? I was thinking about renting a stone cutter and cutting some of my rocks down to make them more "shelf" like. I don't want to buy new rock if its not needed.

One of the perks of Pukani is how easy it is to cut, a simple hacksaw cuts Pukani easily.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I cut some rock (read: my husband cut rock for my tank) and was surprised at how easy it was. I’ve also just knocked off a chunk with a chisel when it was making the rock not fit where I wanted.

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a hand chisel and hammer for taking chips off. Or you can pick up a cheap air chisel that comes with bits for under $15. Works great if you need to break apart a large chunk into smaller ones or in half.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I shape rock with a hammer and wood chisel. I use the cheap wood chisels from harbor freight.

Venator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chisels work, saws work, dremels work (there was another thing like a dremel that works great but I forgot what it’s called, sorry), hacksaws, handsaws, bandsaws, etc. Good luck!

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to wear safty equipment safety glasses, gloves the rock can be sharp and chips can fly ! good luck !

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve cut a lot of large rock. Pukani is so soft I’ve used a large-tooth wood saw and moved through it pretty quickly. Keyhole saws were also helpful. Hacksaws aren’t my favorite for cutting large rock because the frame can get in the way. Smaller pieces of Pukani are a bit delicate and a hacksaw would be better. I like to wet the rock a bit before cutting to keep the dust down some.

What kind of rock are you using?

I agree with the comment about safety.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to try cutting some with a skillsaw and a hardi board diamond blade i have laying around. i want the bottoms of the base to be flat on the tank bottom so i can silicone

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back