Has anyone used a HOB overflow box to turn your Waterbox ATO into a refugium?

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to convert the ATO in my Waterbox sump into a refugium. I have seen some threads where people just let it overflow the top of the glass, but that's a little too close too the top of the sump for my comfort.

I was thinking of using the Marine Depot nano HOB overflow box to pull the water from the ATO back into the main sump area. The thing I am not sure of is how low I can turn down the flow with a HOB overflow.

Has anyone done something like this before? If so please share.

Thanks.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flow on hob is usually dictated by the return pump flow. I used one before (a cpr overflow), it works with a siphon so there is a bit of noise

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i worry about a siphon break with other brands of overflow, idk what marinedepots looks like as there site isnt loading for me today

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea they do work, but i would always personally worry about a siphon break because it doesnt have a port on the u tube to take out built up air, its also one 3/4 inch drain so it will siphon and most likely make a lot of noise. BTW how big is the tank, is the extra sump space needed ?

OP
OP
bluerider098

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a Waterbox Frag 55.2. the in tank volume is like 40 gallons.

I don't like the idea of it being noisy.

The main area in my sump is not big enough to fit a refugium after I put my protein skimmer in there.

I have a separate ATO so I wanted a plan to use that area for a refugium. I am in the process of setting up the tank now so if I have to modify the sump I would prefer to do it now. I had thought about drilling it to overflow but the overflow box seemed like a clean option.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people i have seen havent had much issues with a siphon break but i wanted to put it out there that it is a possibility with the external overflow box. Using an overflow box with dual overflows can help, just run it herbie style. one siphons the other is an emergency, this will help with noise. I suggest looking into drilling the tank. idk if it is tempered glass though

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish Waterbox offered some sump options here - the top-off reservoir is too small to be that useful, and that precious space could really be better utilized.

OP
OP
bluerider098

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish Waterbox offered some sump options here - the top-off reservoir is too small to be that useful, and that precious space could really be better utilized.
I asked when I purchased the tank, but they don't do any custom sumps. I think this is because I don't think they do any manufacturing in house. I believe everything is made in China.

I am sourcing everything I need to drill a hole for a 3/4" bulkhead to drain back into the skimmer section. It's kinda tight for a drill so I plan to borrow a 90°drill from work.

Back