Has anyone used a regular bandsaw (like a portable dewalt or something) to cut coral?

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red goniopora that has gotten out of control. its completely encrusted the entire rock its on (which is a little bigger than a baseball) and since ive recently strategically increased nutrients in the tank, the tentacles have gone crazy, extending as much as 6 inches.

i need to frag this thing bad, and i think i need a coral bandsaw with a diamond blade. I really dont want to shell out $300 bucks just to frag one coral. I have a regular dewalt portable bandsaw and also a hilti bandsaw, i was wondering if anyones used or found the diamond tipped style blades that will fit these saws so that I can make this one cut or if anyone else has any other recommendations, id be open to that as well

shblink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chisel and hammer if you want to keep it cheap. should be able to break off a few chunks of rock with the encrusted goni that way

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an inland just send it to me...i will send you a small piece back

Seriously i would use a dremel(with a lot of water dripping on ot) before a traditional bandsaw

OP
OP
GregOyeah

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I have a dremel but I think that’s going to be too small, I’ve used it to frag Duncan’s before

I have an angle grinder and a diamond tipped 4” blade that I’ve used for cutting paver bricks up. Probably shouldn’t use that already used blade, I’ll buy a new one and maybe I’ll have my wife drizzle water on it while I’m cutting with an empty Gatorade bottle or something

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut up several of the large, cone shaped frag plugs using a Dremel tool and cheap diamond cutting wheels that I got off Amazon. The blade wasn't big enough to cut all the way through so I cut both sides and then just snapped the plug in half. The blades are very thin and worked great. PS: I suggest you wear a mask when cutting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back