Has anyone used bottled bacteria and add corals in 24hrs?

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welll, i know it’s prudent to wait to add corals especially sps. But certain situations call for a drastic action. That said, has anyone tried adding sps in a day?

Reef_in_Denver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green slimer live in a fresh tank 2 weeks after bottled bacteria, not same day though.

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake from reefbuilders setup a reeftank with corals in one day. I dont quite remember if he seeded the tank but it's still running and healthy after a couple months.

I dont see why it couldn't be done other than it would be challenging to keep parameters stable.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anything else in the tank? Putting corals in an empty tank is actually pretty common and can be done day one with relative safety for most corals. However, the presence of other organisms in the tank would change my answer.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so here’s what really went down. A few days ago i started a brand new 25 g tank with 1/2 inch of sand and 50% water and the rest is new water from an existing tank. I figured this would cycle almost instantly but i tested my water last night and the nitrite is pretty high. I immediately did 80% wc using the water from my old tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrite doesnt matter at all, only ammonia. here's a full reef one day start with $300 anemone and fish and inverts.

its not to flagrantly break cycling rules, its just 2020 and what bottle bac can do.

I think your tank needs more surface area if you dont have any rocks, if you have some rocks they'll pick up bac very fast, Ike's thread shows.

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so here’s what really went down. A few days ago i started a brand new 25 g tank with 1/2 inch of sand and 50% water and the rest is new water from an existing tank. I figured this would cycle almost instantly but i tested my water last night and the nitrite is pretty high. I immediately did 80% wc using the water from my old tank.
If I'm not mistaking nitrafying bacteria doesn't usually sit in the water column, you basically added nutrients and other living things that do exist in the water into the new tank. If you can take a handful of sand from your old tank and lightly spread it out around the new tank. That will help seed your sand.

Is anything else in the tank? Putting corals in an empty tank is actually pretty common and can be done day one with relative safety for most corals. However, the presence of other organisms in the tank would change my answer.

As andrewey stated, as long as you're not adding any organisms (fish, larger CuC) you should be fine with coral imo, but continue to monitor parameters.

Edit: I should also state that adding sand for seeding may start the cycling process. I personally have never seeded a reef tank but have done this process with freshwater tanks by using a combination of substrate and biological media seeding.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DrewBrees713, it sounds like you started a mini cycle. I think you did good with your water change, but I would move over some live rock, sand, or filter media so your bacteria have some surface area. In this case, you can continue to monitor ammonia levels or nitrite- they're both telling the same story. While it's true that ammonia toxicity is a larger concern in marine organisms, I think it's a bit too hyperbolic to label nitrite as never mattering.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is, not mattering. Twenty nitrite starts

the reason disregarding nitrite in stuck cycle threads matters is because only ammonia control counts, we can barely test accurately for either param...especially when trying to work quick and get ready for bioload it’s handy not to have false stall readings in place causing hesitation

surely this new tank has rocks? I haven’t seen anyone set up a rockless reef lately, post pics

items that adulterate nitrite tests are numerous, additional reason we kick it out.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini cycles don’t occur per the thread. *we didn’t partake on that venture just to flout rules

it’s because we want to know the solid truth on when a reef tank can be started, there’s so many conflicting measures in place, we had to cull some.

so, we culled nitrite and nitrate out of all reef tank cycles, for starters lol. We think working in real reef tanks / accountable work threads makes it ok to buck the system and make new rules. by the year 2021 that thread will have at least fifty stalled cycles, unstalled= prediction.

however MACNA attendees avoid cycling reefs for 20 years, we demand to be let in on the secret. Drew wants in for practical reasons

drew post pic of your tank

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon429, I'm not really quite sure what you're arguing for and if I'm being honest, I'm a bit confused about the "rules" you're arguing against. I'm also a bit uncomfortable when you talk about "truth" or "buck[ing] the system". Nevertheless, I was simply stating the fact that excessive nitrites in the pH range of our tanks have been shown to be lethal and further study is needed to determine non-mortality endpoints. Thankfully, the levels associated with lethality are higher than we normally encounter while cycling and the associated ammonia toxicity would be for more deleterious for the organisms. Therefore, practically speaking, nitrites are less of a concern, but I don't know that I would say "doesn't matter at all".

I think we might be approaching this from two different viewpoints or maybe we're arguing two very different points :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all I aim for is seeing if there's enough typical surface area in the tank (post pics Drew pls) and then try and discern which portions of the substrate are active, if any based on either visual cues (coralline, attached sponges or fanworms or corals) or description statements that would confirm pre-cycling, such as items coming from an established tank.

if it turns out he has lots of surface area but its mainly new/not from a cured system then he can choose nearly any strain of bottle bac and pull of what he needs. I linked one of the quickest starts in reefing Ive ever seen above for handy context, we're starting with much less bioload.

we tracked in Ike's quickstart full reef how nitrite doesn't factor, only ammonia. Im naming which param I think the op needs to control to effect his quicktank. the common rules for forum cycling are: do not begin until ammonia is zero, down from specific 2 ppm, nitrite is zero, per api, and nitrate has some measure we can detect. those are the common rules my links above rework into something we can rely on/that's the claim anyway.

so if Drew posts pics we can make his tank meet this quick need, even if he uses no testers. we know what to add to make this happen, testless instant skip cycling. Ike used biospira, I myself would go fritz and biospira as a wingman lol

we have another thread that studies the rate at which living water can seed all new rocks and sand, thats about 20 days with no other boosters. I wouldnt trust water only/active to handle new corals, they'll need feeding and its the feed degrading that spikes waste, not the actual corals.

Last edited:

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welll, i know it’s prudent to wait to add corals especially sps. But certain situations call for a drastic action. That said, has anyone tried adding sps in a day?

Why, though? Even if you could pull it off, the rush is indicative of a trait that will likely result in one or more tank crashes at some point. No offense (at all!)

With live rock, yes, it's possible, but why take a chance? Even in that event, we're talking about non-sensitive coral and it still may not go well at all.

What situation are you faced with that calls for such drastic action? I may have missed that.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why, though? Even if you could pull it off, the rush is indicative of a trait that will likely result in one or more tank crashes at some point. No offense (at all!)

With live rock, yes, it's possible, but why take a chance? Even in that event, we're talking about non-sensitive coral and it still may not go well at all.

What situation are you faced with that calls for such drastic action? I may have missed that.
I think you're assuming this was planned. I assume by "certain situations call for drastic action", they are referring to the myriad of reasons one would need to quickly set up temporary housing for coral.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're assuming this was planned. I assume by "certain situations call for drastic action", they are referring to the myriad of reasons one would need to quickly set up temporary housing for coral.

I appreciate the clarification, but why would you assume that?

How many inexperienced aquarists have you encountered posting threads like this? I've seen many. Why should I assume this is different?

It's incumbent on the community to ensure that the OP isn't making a mistake based on
his lack of patience. It's similarly incumbent on the community to make sure that others reading this thread don't think they can stock a tank within 24 hours.

What am I missing?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your larger point, you're absolutely right. I agree 100%

Edit: After reading the post below mine, I owe you an apology. The irony.

Last edited:

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ive done bacteria in bottles from fritz.. capled fritzyme 9.. and then added fish and corals the next day... but i overdoses on it.

For example in my 60g hex i used 1 entire gallon of it.. 1 gallon is for like 200 gallons of water. When i used the gallon my ammonia went from 6ppm to 0 ppm in 24hrs and i have no nitrite and had nitrates.. so i just put fish and corals right in.

The recomended dosage on the bottles... tbh they arent right... itll still take week or two at those doses... thats why i just tripple it. But only fritzyme9 has worked for me.. the other brands are all junk that i tried.

Also to chime in your little arguments. Tbh time on a forum means nothjng as far as experience. I rarely post on forums because tbh there are a lot of little sh!theads on these reef forums.

I will tell you one thing. Assuming someone wants to rush and thinking bacteria ina bottle to rush a cycle will suddenly mean your tank will crash later is just stupid. Ive used fritszyme 9 for years in over 6 tanks ive setup as reefs... guess what theyre still running just fine and i still have the corals i tossed in 1 day after dosing.

The only people who are bitter over bacteria in bittles are people who havent actually done it themselvs. Or used crap brands. Or didnt use enough of it.

As i said dont assume a 40 gallon 500ml bottle will instant cycle a 40 gallon tank in 1 day.. That wont happen. You shoule be using 3 of those bottles if you truely want a instant cy le.

And im curious as to how you think addung bacteria will crash a tank vs waiting 6 weeks for bacteria to grow. All youre doing is speeding up the process. It wont cause a crash.

But thats just my 2 cents... I wont post on this thread again i gave my opinion. And i know ill get a non believer replying to me about how bacteria ina bottle doesnt work.. They will try to convince me that skmehow my 135 30 60 and 92 and 75g reefs are an anomoly lol

Last edited:

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes you can do it. Might depend on the type of SPS, how long you need to run it, how many water changes you are willing to do. Years ago I set up a 30g for a buddy's week long business event. There was no rock or sand in the tank, just a bunch of birdsnest frags glued together to form his company name and 1 yellow tang. Everything was alive at the end of the event. I can't remember the name of the bottled bac or if that was the reason for success but there were no issues. I think I got it at Petco or maybe even Walmart. I did re dose twice and do a couple 20g or 66% water changes during the 6 day event just to be safe so that could be considered cheating I guess...

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the feedbacks,good or bad. My bro try Dr Tim and it took a wk to cycle his 800g tank. The stuff is expensive. I ordered a small bottle of ATM colony and should be here tmrw. Prolly gonna dose a bit more than the direction calls for. Has anyone tried their product ?

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive only use fritszyme but id double dose it if you want it to cycle faster. Its just bacteria not gonna do anything but cloud the tank a bit.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back