Has anyone warranty-replaced a Nero?

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve got two Nero’s in my tank. One about 8 months old, one about 2-3 months old. Tonight I was feeding the fish and saw that the left side one wasn’t running. I tried to reboot it and noticed the blade tried to spin but a screeching sound came from the motor and then it stopped. I pulled it out to clean it thinking something was obstructing it, but nothing. Put it back and same thing. Finally on the third reboot, it spun, screeched and stopped and then started spinning normally. It’s odd because the Nero is near the top of the tank and I have pretty large particle substrate that doesn’t really move—I doubt anything got caught in it unless it’s from when my snail got sucked into it weeks back. But even then, his shell didn’t go into it, just the actual snail part (he was too big to fit)

I just emailed AI about it, but I’m wondering how their customer service is. I think something is wrong because the pump isn’t that old and I don’t really have any coralline in my tank to cause it to be malfunctioning so soon.

Has anyone dealt with their warranty?

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there's something wrong with that Nero as well - so I'd definitely get it replaced under warranty.
Yeah it was odd. The red light wasn’t even blinking like some report when it’s jammed. It just wouldn’t start turning.
I've replaced one of my Nero power heads under warranty. Wasn't bad, they had me run a couple of tests and take a picture of it disassembled after cleaning with citric acid.
Nice. Shouldn’t be an issue. It’s literally been in the tank just over a month and zero coralline on it. I definitely think it’s defective unless I’m missing something.

Did you have to send it in first or do they send you one and then send it back. I’m sure my tank could spare the flow for a few days, but I hate to lose half my flow waiting for a replacement.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've replaced my 2 Nero 3s multiple times this past year one failed 2x the second failure was within weeks of getting a replacement from them qnd my other pump has failed once and been exchanged. I really don't like the unrefundable deposit they take to get you credit card on file. If they receive the parts and don't find any issues you can be charged the full cost of any replacement parts. I took videos of my issues so I had proof to back my claim but that whole part of the return process feels super sketchy/scammy being done this way.

I'm moving away from Neros one my current ones die.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I had one mess up the same way and after days of back and forth, they made me jump thru so many hoops, I finally said forget it, I have 5 of them one is a paper weight now but I also stepped on the controller and broke it, its very convenient that the motor is attached to the irreplaceable controller. I still use and love the nero3s but I don't hold my breath for their customer service..

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I had one mess up the same way and after days of back and forth, they made me jump thru so many hoops, I finally said forget it, I have 5 of them one is a paper weight now but I also stepped on the controller and broke it, its very convenient that the motor is attached to the irreplaceable controller. I still use and love the nero3s but I don't hold my breath for their customer service..
The controller is replaceable ive replaced mine myself on my second failed Nero 3. All the pump hooks to in the controller is a small 3 pin socket.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is replaceable ive replaced mine myself on my second failed Nero 3. All the pump hooks to in the controller is a small 3 pin socket.
My 3rd repair was for identical issues so AI (ecotech) sent me a controller to do the swap myself and I just sent back the faulty one.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back