Has aquaculture made coral pests way worse?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby from 2006-2012, starting as an 8th grader that bought coral with lawn mowing money. Safe to say, I did a lot of dumb things and took bigger risks than I would think about today. I had never heard of dipping corals, and never quarantined. I also never once had a pest issue (that I knew of at least), and great results. In fact, only one coral ever died in my original 75 gallon tank. All of the corals were from an LFS, most certainly not aquaculture.

I just started up again this past Nov, and it seems like it is now incredibly unlikely to get lucky. I get coral exclusively from the most popular farm on this website, and I can’t even describe the number of unspeakables I have had to deal with in QT: zoanthid nudis, monti nudis, acro red bugs. Even coral barnacles.

I have a theory that the coral farms are far more likely to provide us with a pest than a wild caught LFS specimen. They have their mother colonies growing in a tank indefinitely, giving pests an infinite amount of time to colonize and a limited diversity of predators for those pests compared to the ocean. I’m not sure how long wild coral typically bounces between distributors on the way to us, but my guess is that there is a limited amount of time for something bad to take hold.

I feel like this is why I have observed so many pests with my new corals. Wasn’t sure if any other hobbyists who were in it prior to the farming boom the past decade or so had similar experiences, please let me know.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby from 2006-2012, starting as an 8th grader that bought coral with lawn mowing money. Safe to say, I did a lot of dumb things and took bigger risks than I would think about today. I had never heard of dipping corals, and never quarantined. I also never once had a pest issue (that I knew of at least), and great results. In fact, only one coral ever died in my original 75 gallon tank. All of the corals were from an LFS, most certainly not aquaculture.

I just started up again this past Nov, and it seems like it is now incredibly unlikely to get lucky. I get coral exclusively from the most popular farm on this website, and I can’t even describe the number of unspeakables I have had to deal with in QT: zoanthid nudis, monti nudis, acro red bugs. Even coral barnacles.

I have a theory that the coral farms are far more likely to provide us with a pest than a wild caught LFS specimen. They have their mother colonies growing in a tank indefinitely, giving pests an infinite amount of time to colonize and a limited diversity of predators for those pests compared to the ocean. I’m not sure how long wild coral typically bounces between distributors on the way to us, but my guess is that there is a limited amount of time for something bad to take hold.

I feel like this is why I have observed so many pests with my new corals. Wasn’t sure if any other hobbyists who were in it prior to the farming boom the past decade or so had similar experiences, please let me know.
This is my 2nd tank... 15 year interval... I failed the first time. I seem to be doing better this time. To be honest, (I swear this is not bragging) I amdoing way better this time.... partially because I can afford better equipment.

I have never bought livestock online... scared to death of it.. right or wrong... I just am.
the Guys that own stores live and die by their reputations. They do all the hard work for you... the good ones at least. They quarantine... the prevent disease... the good ones stand behind their product and provide both expertise and help at 2:00am when you need it! ...if... you find the right LFS.

I hope I didn’t just tick off a lot of online sellers...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting question. I don't think aquaculture is responsible for more pests. The pests are brought in via shipments from the ocean. I'd say increase in pests has most to do with inadequate quarantine procedures at various points in the supply chain. That said, there are lots of reputable vendors who take care to provide healthy, thriving livestock. IMO pests can (mostly) be avoided by shopping with reputable companies.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my pest encounters come from vendors who depend heavily on imported coral sales and less on aquacultured coral sales.

Some places call themselves aquacultures but may be doing 50% or more of their sales from imported specimens.

Some folks get lucky and never have to deal with pests with out ever having to quarantine but some folks aren't that lucky.

Personally, most of my pests come from wild coral and maricultured corals. Places that tend to flip over big batches of imported corals weekly are pretty big hot spots for pests.

I like to purchase from heavy aquaculture vendors especially ones I know who run a quarantine. I do have to pay premium price but it'll cost me just as much to quarantine it myself.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get pests from any corals you get. That is just the facts. It can come from the ocean or another hobbyist selling you a frag. These "pests" can show up in your tank months later.
Your only recourse is to QT all corals for a very long time before placing them in your display tank. You still may get them in your display. larval organisms are very small and they can take months before you actually"see" them in your tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in 1998 nobody cared about coolia. cooliaschmulia.

jlieber516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know how a whole hobby can be dino free right up until about 2002

advent of dry rock starts/moving away from live rock?

The increased prevalence of dinos in the hobby seems to be heavily related to the effectiveness of filtration in modern reef tanks, where filters are stripping the water of many nutrients. These low nutrient levels seem to provide an environment in which dinos can develop a stronghold hold and likely one in which there are few other microorganisms that can compete. In general, I think dry rock drastically decreases the biodiversity in a reef tank (especially at a microscopic level), so it makes it easier for many photosynthetic pests to overtake an aquarium due to lack of competition. I guess that’s the trade off for avoiding pests that can come on live rock.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back