Has Kessil spoken of plans to make the a360x Apex compatible?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Manca Kessil reps told me that it is in the works but if it were to happen they would use their WiFi dongle in conjunction with the Apex IOTA to control the lights. Since the Kessil WIFI dongle also isn't out yet it will be a while.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't hold my breath. lol. Kessil makes amazing hardware, but they really need to figure something out on their software end... Case in point, the AP700 and the awesome app they have running it. I finally got rid of it, and got 360X's, with the spectral controller. Honestly, I'm waiting for the new LED's from Red Sea to come out. From what I can see, their software is legit. If the lights themselves are up to snuff, I'll probably switch over to them.

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm waiting for the new LED's from Red Sea to come out. From what I can see, their software is legit. If the lights themselves are up to snuff, I'll probably switch over to them.

What new lights did they announce? i just did a quick google... all I'm finding is Red Sea MAX E-series. I hadn't even heard of anything upcoming until now.

EDIT: ah, ReefLED. Well this just made my upgrade decision even harder lol

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
I wouldn't hold my breath. lol. Kessil makes amazing hardware, but they really need to figure something out on their software end... Case in point, the AP700 and the awesome app they have running it. I finally got rid of it, and got 360X's, with the spectral controller. Honestly, I'm waiting for the new LED's from Red Sea to come out. From what I can see, their software is legit. If the lights themselves are up to snuff, I'll probably switch over to them.

To be fair (if it matters any) this isn't just a Kessil problem, this is a problem industry wide. There are maybe one or two exceptions such as GHL (hardware is beautiful) and Neptune (software is good both manual and wizard) but other than that the various manufactures seem to do decent enough hardware, or in some cases exceptional, but blow it on the integration layers.

Same song and dance - rush out hardware, create your own crappy application for web or mobile device, add a dongle for wi-fi, while ignoring the bigger picture on how to properly, and seamlessly, integrate with the primary controllers by GHL and Neptune. Let us face it, those are the main two that most are using. If you want to go a step further and overachieve then support open source such as the Pi and Arduino's...

I get wanting to play in your own sandbox but someone needs to take the lead and say look at how much money I can save you by reducing wi-fi and independent controller hardware and software by taking lead to integrate. This isn't freaking rocket science here. Save the money on RnD, Hardware, and support while selling more products because you play nice.

What a concept...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I long ago gave up the quest for one controller to rule them all. Seems like these companies are moving away from interoperability. I guess they all want to be the ‘platform’.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I long ago gave up the quest for one controller to rule them all. Seems like these companies are moving away from interoperability. I guess they all want to be the ‘platform’.

The Hydros that's coming from Coralvue seems super promising, at least as far as pumps and wavemakers go.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think it is a horrible idea to have one controller to rule them all. There is one piece to fail and cause destruction . I have started to connect fewer things to my apex because I don’t want all my eggs in one basket.

U

User1

View Badges
I honestly think it is a horrible idea to have one controller to rule them all. There is one piece to fail and cause destruction . I have started to connect fewer things to my apex because I don’t want all my eggs in one basket.

It isn't so much as rule but interoperability and control. Think of non Apple personal computers (laptop or desktop) and peripherals. Want to add a printer, sure. One cable works across all. Want to connect a video card? Sure, PCIE and yo are set. Again, same cable (actually cables evolved but you get the idea). Hard drive? Sure - in it goes.

Similar concept here. Peripheral and a standard. Would make all of our lives easier and clean up a lot of clutter while making the area safer.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed, which in part is why I abandoned the effort years ago. It’s also about being sensible about what you ask apex to do. I use mine mostly for monitoring and alerting, rather than trying to actively control too many things. If my apex died it’d be inconvenient but not catastrophic.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about money in the end.

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did kessil ever allow the X to be controlled via apex? Between the spectral controller and the wifi dongle something should be able to pair!

inurmind

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd bump this up since I myself haven't heard much and the dongle has been out for a while now...you guys know of any news that I've missed?

In regards to the points above, I agree with both sides on things although I think saf1 makes the closest sentiments to my opinion... I think the top three lighting companies have all had various shortcomings over the years in one shape or another. Moreover, I was pretty disappointed to learn that kessil was putting out their new lights and then going to be adding a dongle just like AI did with their Sol's in one of their first controller iterations YEARS and YEARS ago!!!

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would they their app is solid and they have manual, wired, and wifi control all 3. Even if it was apex compatable I can't think of any reason to hook it to the apex.
Season Tables... an under utilized APEX function - temperature, sun, moon, tides, reverse refugium lighting - all controlled by the season tables. I have an non-APEX controlled A360X Tuna Sun over a freshwater tank and would have long ago converted both the reef and refugium to A360X’s if they maintained APEX controllability.

I hope Kessil is more forthcoming with that functionality than EcoTech Marine was when they originally announced the Vectra pumps would “eventually” be APEX controllable.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season Tables... an under utilized APEX function - temperature, sun, moon, tides, reverse refugium lighting - all controlled by the season tables. I have an non-APEX controlled A360X Tuna Sun over a freshwater tank and would have long ago converted both the reef and refugium to A360X’s if they maintained APEX controllability.

I hope Kessil is more forthcoming with that functionality than EcoTech Marine was when they originally announced the Vectra pumps would “eventually” be APEX controllable.
NS is hardly a poor victim in that relationship. Takes two to tango, no matter what marketing says. Both companies are rather poor operators in this hobby IMO.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when IBM licensed out the PC the whole industry took off...
Something is amiss if the entire industry can’t see peripheral integration as groundbreaking and sales beneficial

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back