Has passive aggressive, can be interpreted as insulting comments always been the norm on R2R?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen this personally but sometimes people get a little passive aggressive when people ignore advice about a fish that could be perceived as animal abuse for e.g. a dog in the equilivant situation
Are you suggesting that dogs and fish are equivalent?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really never really worry about things like that. Problem is talking on the internet versus in person you don’t have any idea of the persons tone or facial expressions when people post. There is also a thing called sarcasm and that can really be missed if you don’t know the person or are reading comments on the net. I wouldn’t really worry about it to much unless it involves serious personal attacks with foul language included. If some thread and comments rub you the wrong way just go on to another one.
Context is everything!

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am not that is why I mentioned it
So are you suggesting that one is better than the other? I thought we were over these objectifying discriminatory practices. (And yes, I am just trolling as its 12:36 ETS and I have about 20 min to kill as I finish mixing salt).

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite frankly, people are getting way too sensitive these days. If I say something you deem offensive and you tell me it’s offensive - I’ll think about it, perhaps apologize but I also reserve the right not to.

There’s no way for me or anyone else to know what another person may find offensive beyond some very common life issues, in reefing there aren’t that many (any) rules. If I poInt out to someone who’s saying that he’s waiting for his fish to die so he can “restart” his tank that he’s better off quitting the hobby - I’m not being disrespectful but honest. Should that person get offended my response would be that I found his disregard for the lives of his fish offensive. It’s an extreme example, one I’ve seen too many times, but I can see how someone would get offended...whether we should care about it is a completely different debate.

Just because I disagree with whatever someone may have said doesn’t mean I’m being passive aggressive or disrespectful. If one can’t deal with it then someone needs to explain why it’s my issue.

In sum, not to sound like too much of a jerk but thicken your skin - there are far worse things in life than perceived passive aggressive comments on a hobby forum...

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you suggesting that one is better than the other? I thought we were over these objectifying discriminatory practices. (And yes, I am just trolling as its 12:36 ETS and I have about 20 min to kill as I finish mixing salt).
well dogs display more intelligence than fish so in theory yes and ill play along

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read through all the comments so sorry if I repeat something someone else already said. But I did learn something on R2R in the last couple days if it’s bad! Report it, if it’s good report it. A staff member of the site is looking either way so go for it.
I have also gotten caught up from time to time in something I feel passionate about and may have “typed” the wrong thing, I don’t think it has happened here? But it has happened. If someone is being disrespectful then let the bosses know. It’s not tolerated on this site. And if someone is being awesome also let them know.
CONGRATS ON THE BABY GIRL!!
Now you get to earn your parenting stripes. Osh Kosh overalls. They are clothing and a handlebar at the same time.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read through all the comments so sorry if I repeat something someone else already said. But I did learn something on R2R in the last couple days if it’s bad! Report it, if it’s good report it. A staff member of the site is looking either way so go for it.
I have also gotten caught up from time to time in something I feel passionate about and may have “typed” the wrong thing, I don’t think it has happened here? But it has happened. If someone is being disrespectful then let the bosses know. It’s not tolerated on this site. And if someone is being awesome also let them know.
CONGRATS ON THE BABY GIRL!!
Now you get to earn your parenting stripes. Osh Kosh overalls. They are clothing and a handlebar at the same time.
wait your saying report something good??? isn't that counter intuitive

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what would I saw in the report reason
“Good” I don’t know. I just read a thread on here supporting that the “report” button is not just to report bad things it’s also to report good things. There are a bit a badges handed out for certain things so if you see someone who you believe has earned a certain badge report it. I’m pretty sure that’s how I got my hospitality badge with my silly picture my son took of me “watching my tank all the time” I just added a welcome banner.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Good” I don’t know. I just read a thread on here supporting that the “report” button is not just to report bad things it’s also to report good things. There are a bit a badges handed out for certain things so if you see someone who you believe has earned a certain badge report it. I’m pretty sure that’s how I got my hospitality badge with my silly picture my son took of me “watching my tank all the time” I just added a welcome banner.
sick. Any admins able to verify that you want us to report good things too?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a thread about it, I forget the name. But yes definitely if you feel someone has gone above and beyond report that, it brings the attention to them, and helps to earn badges. I’ll see if I can dig it up, since my dog thought I needed to wake up, so she could have the center of my spot :/

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with a lot that was said but this is social media and everyone is entitled to make comments on anything posted. People need to grow up and take their feelings off their shoulders. As long as no say anything racist or personal, which they wouldn’t cause they don’t know me, I don’t care. If your that sensitive don’t post and if your wife was at the hospital having a baby you should have been attending to her and not get your feelings wrapped up in a post. You put your business out there, so that’s how people use it against you.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I haven’t really had many issues on here, and (I don’t know what other forums are really like), but this one is much more polite than our standard instant message we do at work. It’s always I need you here or there etc.

If a post or a response does seem out of line, I just don’t respond. Simply because I can’t see there body language, facial expression, vocal tone etc. As some have said culture norms vary quiet a bit around the states not alone the world.

But I do find society in general now is very easy to take offense as compared to when I was younger. I mean its
Not like I’m super old lol but still, times have changed.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep! If you see someone being extraordinarily awesome, we love to see that, and we even give out awards for hospitality and excellence, so feel free to nominate folks you think deserve it. :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a safe place I can make a case about two words that are in the badword filter?

I'm on my best behavior 'round here but the struggle is real.

look-i-cant-speak-without-swearing-meirl-36140584.png
Sure! Feel free to message me about it. I can't promise they'll be changed, but we're always open to suggestions. :)

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! If you see someone being extraordinarily awesome, we love to see that, and we even give out awards for hospitality and excellence, so feel free to nominate folks you think deserve it. :)
Ok cool and reporting is also a form of nominating or is that another thing?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez I can’t beleive this thread already went 5 pages, this forum is very benign compared to others or from some of the past. If your a little to sensitive or offended by some thread on here then just don’t read it. I’m the kinda person that really doesn’t care what others think or say about me or on any thread. Man up and conquer your dilemma. There are a lot of users on here and not everyone is gonna come off like you think they should.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back