Has passive aggressive, can be interpreted as insulting comments always been the norm on R2R?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok cool and reporting is also a form of nominating or is that another thing?
Yep. That's the easiest way to nominate someone. Just think of reporting as a way to post something for the mod team to review. Most reports are for problems around the forum which is understandable. We like seeing good stuff too, though. It makes us smile. :)

So as for what to put in the report, just put whatever made you think to report it.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That's the easiest way to nominate someone. Just think of reporting as a way to post something for the mod team to review. Most reports are for problems around the forum which is understandable. We like seeing good stuff too, though. It makes us smile. :)

So as for what to put in the report, just put whatever made you think to report it.
Ok cool, and what's the criteria for
1. Valuable member
2. Hospitality award
3. Excellence award
They all seem to reward the same behaviour is there like a progression?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok cool, and what's the criteria for
1. Valuable member
2. Hospitality award
3. Excellence award
They all seem to reward the same behaviour is there like a progression?
Sort of. I think valuable member is automatic within the software (like at a certain number of posts).

Hospitality is for someone who is generally friendly and welcoming to others. Usually, these are people who are greeting new people, but sometimes it's given based on other hospitable behaviors.

Excellence is for those who exhibit both excellence in the hobby and demonstrate the values of Reef2Reef as helpful members of the community. So an excellent member should be someone who demonstrates solid knowledge as a hobbyist and also who is a kind and helpful member.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of. I think valuable member is automatic within the software (like at a certain number of posts).

Hospitality is for someone who is generally friendly and welcoming to others. Usually, these are people who are greeting new people, but sometimes it's given based on other hospitable behaviors.

Excellence is for those who exhibit both excellence in the hobby and demonstrate the values of Reef2Reef as helpful members of the community. So an excellent member should be someone who demonstrates solid knowledge as a hobbyist and also who is a kind and helpful member.
Ok cool thank you. Any idea how many posts makes someone a valuable member?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok cool thank you. Any idea how many posts makes someone a valuable member?
I'm really not sure. I've noticed it too, but never really paid attention to when it appears.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious now though. Looks like you're at 975, so let's see if it changes at 1,000. I notice that HB AL has it already and he's got 1791 posts, so it seems like it's between those 2 numbers.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious now though. Looks like you're at 975, so let's see if it changes at 1,000. I notice that HB AL has it already and he's got 1791 posts, so it seems like it's between those 2 numbers.
I’m at just over 1,000 and have it so I do believe the magic number is 1,000. I kinda remember a notification the other day about it.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not sure. I've noticed it too, but never really paid attention to when it appears.
I’m pretty sure it’s when your trophy points go over 100.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure it’s when your trophy points go over 100.
Ya, probably 1000, when you that reach point your label changes and also make sure you keep an eye on your pm’s as you will receive a prize, I ended up with a bag of frags.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, First, congrats on the baby. I made a post not to long ago somewhat similar in tone to yours. I saw very quickly the same people I always see prodding, poking and trying to get a rise. There are certain individuals that I can count on 1 hand that are always out front and need to get the last word. Unfortunately every forum I have ever been on has those people on it. I'm sorry you have felt negatively after walking away from the computer and being on this forum. I also had those same feelings.. Frustration, irritation at some user on here. No amount of "reporting" will fix it in my opinion. Besides who wants to be a tattle tail? So you make a generalized post like this and hope that the Mods or someone hears you and takes up the gauntlet.

The only thing we can do is not to feed the trolls. If these same people keep coming in, making posts you don't like. Just don't hit the like button, don't respond to them in anyway. Once they see they get no place here they will likely go away.

GL with the new family member!

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez I can’t beleive this thread already went 5 pages, this forum is very benign compared to others or from some of the past. If your a little to sensitive or offended by some thread on here then just don’t read it. I’m the kinda person that really doesn’t care what others think or say about me or on any thread. Man up and conquer your dilemma. There are a lot of users on here and not everyone is gonna come off like you think they should.

Not too sensitive or offended by anyone. I simply cannot believe the way certain people speak to others. It’s like I’m trying to figure out how to read your post. Are you telling me to man up or is that just a general statement to how you feel anyone should deal with not liking what they read. If I interpret your post to be in direct response to my original post, then telling me to man up would be simply rude.

But anyway, my issue, in a couple of forums is how some people have responded to what I have figured out to be respected members of this community.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite frankly, people are getting way too sensitive these days. If I say something you deem offensive and you tell me it’s offensive - I’ll think about it, perhaps apologize but I also reserve the right not to.

There’s no way for me or anyone else to know what another person may find offensive beyond some very common life issues, in reefing there aren’t that many (any) rules. If I poInt out to someone who’s saying that he’s waiting for his fish to die so he can “restart” his tank that he’s better off quitting the hobby - I’m not being disrespectful but honest. Should that person get offended my response would be that I found his disregard for the lives of his fish offensive. It’s an extreme example, one I’ve seen too many times, but I can see how someone would get offended...whether we should care about it is a completely different debate.

Just because I disagree with whatever someone may have said doesn’t mean I’m being passive aggressive or disrespectful. If one can’t deal with it then someone needs to explain why it’s my issue.

In sum, not to sound like too much of a jerk but thicken your skin - there are far worse things in life than perceived passive aggressive comments on a hobby forum...

I respect your opinion and I thank you for contributing. As a matter of fact, after reading your post I agree with what you are saying. But to finish your post with the line, “not to sound like too much of a jerk...” you want to give your opinion on something I asked the forum, that is wonderful, that is what I asked for, but to finish your post with a suggestion of how I need to change, that is a problem. I gave my observation of a problem and your response is I need to thicken my skin. You made a very valid point in that “There’s no way for me or anyone else to know what another person may find offensive beyond some very common life issues, in reefing there aren’t that many (any) rules.” I asked for your opinion on the issue I noticed, I didn’t ask you for your opinion of how I need to change, and yes it can make you sound like a jerk. I don’t think you are, I guess it’s kind of funny that you illustrated the type of discourse I have been trying to explain I’ve noticed.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
qexStvV.jpg

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many have said this before in this thread, but I’ll second the fact that it’s sometimes hard to decipher someone’s tone when it’s written as opposed to a face to face encounter. Some people just write what’s in there head, exactly as they are thinking it, and to them it makes completes sense and may not even enter their mind that when written down it sounds offensive to some.

I used to do it all the time, and sometimes still do, although I am better at actually thinking about what I write these days.

There are folks from all over the world here, from different cultures, different up bringings, and while you should probably consider your audience may not be like you when writing on a forum, it’s difficult for some for the reasons mentioned above.

There are of course folks who are looking for a fight and these days, especially as I get older I tend to kill them with kindness rather than react, and that generally tends to work :)

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sensitive or offended by anyone. I simply cannot believe the way certain people speak to others. It’s like I’m trying to figure out how to read your post. Are you telling me to man up or is that just a general statement to how you feel anyone should deal with not liking what they read. If I interpret your post to be in direct response to my original post, then telling me to man up would be simply rude.

But anyway, my issue, in a couple of forums is how some people have responded to what I have figured out to be respected members of this community.
It’s was just a general statement don’t take it personally. Its a public forum and there are thousands of different personalities on here and senses of humor and sarcasm. Unless it’s a very foul mouthed personal attack on yourself why even worry about it, just dont read it if what’s said rubs you wrong. It’s really impossible to accurately interpret what a person types on a message board. I see guys going at each other but after a few exchanges you realize they know each other and are just ribbing each other, for someone who doesn’t know them or pick up on their relationship it can easily be construed as rude and harsh. That’s why I always take things said on any message board with a grain of salt, don’t let it bug you. Of all the various types of message boards out there this one (reef 2 reef) is actually very mellow with lots of very skilled reefers with a wealth of knowledge, willing to help out at a moments notice with very good info, that’s why as far as reef message boards go it’s the only one I visit and even though I’ve encountered the bad and the good through out the years when it comes to saltwater aquariums( I’m still learning new things). There’s always gonna be a sour apple in the bunch when your dealing with a large group of people from all over the world so if some thread and the responses rub ya wrong just ignore them. I admit I’m a very sarcastic person and although I really don’t post on here in that manner unles it’s warranted, if you knew me personally you would get a better picture of me and come away with a nice encounter. I come on here quite a bit mostly to read people’s issues that arise and how more experienced people advise them on a solution to learn of something I might encounter from this quickly evolving hobby. Even though I’ve been keeping aquariums for 35 years I still take in the wealth of knowledge the true pros offer up on this wonderful site, some just do it in there own way that might come off rather strong but I don’t ever take it in a way that’s gonna bum me out or something along those lines. Just sit back post some questions you may have, read threads that interest you and are helpful and enjoy the show.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back