Has social media made the world worse?

PirateDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be that guy. Isn’t R2R a form of social media? You can get great advice sometimes. Other times not so much.Ive seen some great advice but I’ve seen some people get down write nasty. Just keeping it real. For the record I love R2R!!!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Social media is bad. Only social media I use is R2R. I don’t even have a Facebook account because I don’t want to see people cry about their lost hamsters or post selfies that look nothing like what they look like in person.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Social media is bad. Only social media I use is R2R. I don’t even have a Facebook account because I don’t want to see people cry about their lost hamsters or post selfies that look nothing like what they look like in person.

I really, really wish facebook never veered away from what it was originally. But then they had to start making money... and with that came unscrupulous dedication to exploiting user data.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be that guy. Isn’t R2R a form of social media? You can get great advice sometimes. Other times not so much.Ive seen some great advice but I’ve seen some people get down write nasty. Just keeping it real. For the record I love R2R!!!

yeah but the only thing we are "fed" information-wise is the sponsor posts, everything else is chronological, so we aren't being actively manipulated

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah but the only thing we are "fed" information-wise is the sponsor posts, everything else is chronological, so we aren't being actively manipulated
“aren't being actively manipulated” OR ARE WE? :oops: Since, joining this platform, I have bought a lot of things.

Nah but you’re right. R2R is built on a much different platform. They need to make money too but not at the expense of the users here.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, your grandchildren will now know exactly where you stood on various divisive issues.
A lot of people are going to be dismayed when they find themselves on the wrong side of history, for all to see.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only on social media to see what my friends are doing. A lot of my friends are scattered across the country. I’m also in contact with many high school friends from 1984. As we get older time gets shorter

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate social media and social aspects of most all websites. Just give us the info and ability to interact . Forums should not be like crap-book And if you pay for a membership you should not have to be blasted with adds and Content from sponsored members .

All of this is going to come back and haunt society in the near future..

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of good points. That's why I choose forums over fb etc.

I think we are being data mined and exploited. The spread of hate and division over nonsense is alarming. Anyone read or watch snowden?

JoeD_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New technology always brings out the WORST in people who are unwilling to adapt or change to newer environment I will never be that way and always look for the positives

JoeD_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of good points. That's why I choose forums over fb etc.

I think we are being data mined and exploited. The spread of hate and division over nonsense is alarming. Anyone read or watch snowden?

Data mining has ALWAYS been a thing. Do you believe that gas cards, credit cards, supermarket cards, retail store cards, etc weren't selling and logging your info? Data mining is just easier to do and much more comprehensive.. And why do people think anyone is itnerested in their life? They're not. It's just for advertising. not sure why anyone freaks out about this.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Data mining has ALWAYS been a thing. Do you believe that gas cards, credit cards, supermarket cards, retail store cards, etc weren't selling and logging your info? Data mining is just easier to do and much more comprehensive.. And why do people think anyone is itnerested in their life? They're not. It's just for advertising. not sure why anyone freaks out about this.

No offense but this is a very naive take IMO. Just being "optimistic" that things will "work out for the best" is never going to end well. Safeguards have to be in place, checks and balances.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back