Has the hobby gotten too expensive and how does it compare to the past?

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is I will try cheap equipment to see how it holds up. Been running my Jebao return pump with feed control and adjustable flow rate for a whuile now with no problems. It was 104 CDN bought online and works great, I also have a wavemaker from them for over a year now, no problems. Cheap doesn't always mean it doesn't do its job and big brand names don't always mean quality.

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a teenager in France, I had my first 80 gallon tank in the mid 80’s. Fish only because back then corals were not really available. Since it was such a luxury in France back then, I paid as much for fish that I do now in the US

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is I will try cheap equipment to see how it holds up. Been running my Jebao return pump with feed control and adjustable flow rate for a whuile now with no problems. It was 104 CDN bought online and works great, I also have a wavemaker from them for over a year now, no problems. Cheap doesn't always mean it doesn't do its job and big brand names don't always mean quality.

True, however, a year is hardly long-term either LOL. I was thinking about the Iwaki 40 that I bought in 1988 and ran continuously until 2008.

careefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! Just a comment: assuming 3% per year inflation (roughly the average for the past few decades) for the past 20 years and compounding annually (which is a bit more accurate than your estimation), your $3580 actually turns into about $6466 in today's dollars. So, based on those numbers and the cost of $5951 today, its actually a bit cheaper today than it was then.

I suspect like many other things, the basic stuff is about the same inflation adjusted cost, but you just have access to way more toys now than you did back then if you want to go that route. Want a pair of clownfish in a 40 gallon tank with a nem and some live rock with simple lights and filtration? I am guessing the cost is about the same (inflation adjusted). But if you want to get into all the kit available now, the fancy sumps, high end lights, high end pumps and incredible selection of living creatures then its possible to spend a lot more now than it was then.

I guess an interesting question is whether it is possible to be more successful now per dollar you put into your system than it was 20 years ago?

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is exactly the point careefer. I have been in the hobby since the mid 80’s. I honestly can’t believe Mike can remember what he spent on stuff and have records to prove it. But from running the Jaubert to Berlin and constantly changing stuff back then when Reef Notes came out I doubt I spent less back then than now based on inflation. The big difference from then to now is the success I see people having and that is inspiring. It is not a cheap hobby but what could be more rewarding

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the old guy yet but not a newb either. Just some observations since I’ve been around the hobby. Remember the $500 efflo? How much would it go for nowadays adjusted for inflation? I also paid $400 or so for a 150w metal halide with compact fluorescents actinics in ‘09. Now you can’t give them away or you can buy a new led replacement for $90 or less. The cost of 1 radium MH bulb was close to what you can get a black box led for now. The LFS local to me was charging $7-$8/lb. for “live rock” which was just wet base rock. You can find better deals for dry rock or live rock with actual life on it. For everything that has gone out of hand on price there are some things that are better today.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you don't mind doing it on the cheap , you can get into the hobby on a small budget. I paid:
$50 100gal tank
$20 coffee table stand
$20 power head
$300 skimmer + 3ft tank for sump.
$20 acrylic for sump dividers and tank covers.
$40 Plumbing supplies
$60 media
$25 300 w heater
$120 light
This is how I started but I couldn't afford the 2nd hand skimmer for about 12 months. Just about everything was second hand and I hunted and scrounged parts where I could. It made me think outside the box. Instead of going to the LFS I would quite often find myself at the hardware store or demo yard trying to save a buck.

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good post Cae! Exactly, I find myself these days looking up all kinds of DIY projects for reef. My 75 gal and stand was 150 and was nice solid oak wood. If you look and wait for the right things they will come. It kind of prepares you for when you get everything setup, you won't rush out and buy fish but take the time to study their needs and do much better with their care.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! Just a comment: assuming 3% per year inflation (roughly the average for the past few decades) for the past 20 years and compounding annually (which is a bit more accurate than your estimation), your $3580 actually turns into about $6466 in today's dollars. So, based on those numbers and the cost of $5951 today, its actually a bit cheaper today than it was then.

I suspect like many other things, the basic stuff is about the same inflation adjusted cost, but you just have access to way more toys now than you did back then if you want to go that route. Want a pair of clownfish in a 40 gallon tank with a nem and some live rock with simple lights and filtration? I am guessing the cost is about the same (inflation adjusted). But if you want to get into all the kit available now, the fancy sumps, high end lights, high end pumps and incredible selection of living creatures then its possible to spend a lot more now than it was then.

I guess an interesting question is whether it is possible to be more successful now per dollar you put into your system than it was 20 years ago?

I completely agree, compounding annually is how inflation is calculated. The value of money does not have a “starting” point per say. As such compounding annually allows us to take the variable nature of money into account when calculating its “value” over a period of time. It’s the same reason why interest is calculated at an annual percentage rate.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the price of a Chevron Tang. Here are some from 2000 at a local fish store in San Antonio. And you will notice some things were not that cheap as in liverock.

rock 2000.jpg
corals 2000.jpg
What store is that? Im located in sa. Ć nu

Seagars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its very simple that is Reefer on Reefer crime. from the sale of all items and most of all the sale corals.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I wish the price of Achilles Tang is still $9.95 :(. Funny thing is my present 90 gallon tank was actually a thriving freshwater tank (brother in-law's buddy's system) that has been around way before I got interested in saltwater hobby (2004) & my converted sump was a trickle filter filled with bio balls, hoses & an overflow box as well. I don't really care about all the new & expensive hardwares and back then majority of corals that used to be a standard $40.00 have risen to at least $65 - 75.00. Anything colourful would cost at least $100 & up .... that's from a regular lfs. Premium lfs would cost a whole lot more money ....

It has become a very expensive hobby indeed!

AnalogKid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the mark-ups are beyond ludicrous. Some of these places are selling those refractometers for $40, but you can find the EXACT same one on ebay for $14 (beverage industry). and $30+ for a 4 oz bottle of bacteria??? If you cross shop other industries for same products, you can find huge discounts -- I found a chiller in the hydroponics industry for much less than the same one re-branded for aquarium industry.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else said, the inflation over that period was actually 53%, which means the cost of the hobby (using your data) in real terms is up around 8.5%. I'm not sure your method is precise, but it's certainly better than what most people do, which is pull things out of thin air!

Aside from the fact that products have improved (something that is counted in the inflation figures, BTW. It's called a hedonic adjustment: https://www.bls.gov/cpi/quality-adjustment/home.htm), you also forgot one of the largest factors...the price of shipping. And what is a huge driver of shipping costs? Fuel. Your starting point of 1998 was a generational low in terms of oil prices http://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crude-oil-price-history-chart which have gone up six-fold since 1998. My guess is that adjusted for oil prices - again, using your data - the cost of the hobby has gone down in real terms, while the quality of most things is better.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I started my first reef tank in 1985. At that time the major limiting factor was availability not price. I was forced to DIY for much of my equipment - sump, wet-dry, lighting. The initial impetus was the series of articles by George Smith in FAMA. My lighting was metal halides made out of outdoor floodlights. My wet-dry and sump was a modified 40 Gal tank. I even made my own bulkheads. My livestock was primarily fish and anemones. My invertebrates came from my live rock- clams, shrimp, worms. My limiting factors were not so much money, as availability, and time. My knowledge came from LFS, books and experimentation, not from the internet and forums. I made many mistakes that I regret such as trying to keep a full sized Queen angel in too small a tank.
Today I am retired with much more time to spend on my tank but I must be careful with my money. In addition routine maintainence can be difficult. I can no longer do water changes with 5 Gal buckets. Even manually filling my 6 Gal ATO reservoir can be a challenge. As a result I have gravitated to low maintainence methods. I am currently trying the Triton method. I have RSR 450. My lighting is Chinese black box LEDs. My return pump is an Ecotech Vectra S1. My flow is an MP40 and a Gyre 150. My protein skimmer is a Reef octopus. I converted the RSR ATO into a DIY refugium. Although I consider myself to be computer and internet literate the idea of programming a controller like an Apex or controlling my lights spectrum with a smartphone to be daunting. I use simple timers. I do have a controller on my heater. I buy most of my frags at meets. I limit my tank to primarily fish, softies, LPS and gorgonions. I only keep a couple of SPS such as Setosa, Montipora, and Chalices. I do not buy anything I can not keep alive.
My major problem with costs is the poor reliability of some high end equipment. I have had to replace 3 Pumps and two complete Tunze ATO 3155 units in five years time. I had an Eheim 1262 pump develops a short and almost fried my tank. I find that I have to replace the wet side on my MP40 every three years. The real problem is not just the cost but the virtual lack of support and accountability by these high end manufacturers. When I travel I use a web cam and my iPhone to monitor my tank. I use an a Eheim automatic fish feeder. If there is a problem I rely on my family. They are not reefers but since I can watch what they are doing I can direct them.
I have enjoyed my hobby immensely for the past thirty years. When I can no longer lift my 6 Gal ATO reservoir, or afford any livestock it will be time for me to give it up.

CountryReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a broke dude. But I manage to have a thriving 125 gallon and 10 gallon. All very basic. I have less than $150 in my entire 10 gallon and less than $2000 in my 125. I don't buy into the vortex or radion lights craze. But I also have zero interest in SPS or most LPS corals. I have a basic skimmer and like others use Jabeo return pumps and power heads. My most expensive items in the hobby was my RODI unit, but I justified that by being able to drink the RO water. I have been in the hobby for 8 years or so. And definitely seen the craze of expensive fish and corals. But I stay with basic equipment and non designer livestock.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a broke dude. But I manage to have a thriving 125 gallon and 10 gallon. All very basic. I have less than $150 in my entire 10 gallon and less than $2000 in my 125. I don't buy into the vortex or radion lights craze. But I also have zero interest in SPS or most LPS corals. I have a basic skimmer and like others use Jabeo return pumps and power heads. My most expensive items in the hobby was my RODI unit, but I justified that by being able to drink the RO water. I have been in the hobby for 8 years or so. And definitely seen the craze of expensive fish and corals. But I stay with basic equipment and non designer livestock.

Thankfully for some ... this hobby isn't all about the designer named corals and hi tech hardwares but basic simplicity and thriving system ;)

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pieces of equipment are more expensive and some are cheaper. I can justify the cost of some pieces of equipment. Fish are the same. Corals on the other hand, I think are outta control. There are a lot of WOWs out there. I personally have a $100 limit on any livestock item. So I will never have that new coral or a lot of different frags. I’m in it for the beauty and not the sale. If I do buy one of the WOWs, for sure I won’t sell it for that price when I frag it. I would rather trade. I understand business is business but a 1” acropora frag and 1 polyp on a plug a joke to me. When I give a frag to a friend or the LFS it’s at least 2”-3” or 5 polyps. But that’s just me. I’m not knocking the system but it needs to take a look at itself.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the hobby gotten too expensive and how does it compare to the past?

I have been in this hobby for a long time, but I am not going to act like an old codger and say I remember when Flame Angels were a quarter and corals were a dollar. Nor am I going to get into a discussion of how a frag costing more than a major appliance is good for the hobby or even what it means. I have difficulty comprehending this as well as how so much money and so many new hobbyists have come into the hobby. The latter at east in part driving the former. Also it is not my job to tell anyone how to spend their money, as I have gotten caught up at times and bought expensive frags, equipment and fish. My only comment about this is if you are willing to spend $200+ on a frag without batting an eye, you should be just as willing to spend $200 on clothes for your wife and kids, but that is just my opinion. In some of my past articles I have been criticized for focusing too much on how much things cost or how expensive the hobby is. So before I continue I want to let it be known that when I put together this article and worked out my comparison of costs I did so as blindly as I could in determining the prices. So when I was finished doing my analysis I could have found out that compared to 20 years ago the hobby could cost the same or even be less and if I found this I would admit that I was wrong. Also I did not take into account for the most part how much the price of things now is accounted for by the advancements we have made or in how much more successful we generally we are now. As it is still the case, that the most expensive thing in the hobby is something you have to replace.

IMG_2603.jpg

The issue of FAMA from 1998 from which I got the prices for things.

So as I mentioned the basis for this article is to focus and discuss how much the hobby costs now compared to how much it cost 20 years ago. Specifically, how much it costs to start a tank from scratch. While I have been keeping reefs since 1986, it is my opinion that we only achieved a high level of repeatable success approximately 20 years ago. Since I save things, I still have lots of magazines from then, so I thought it might be interesting to compare the costs of things then versus now. However, I also know that a significant amount of inflation has occurred since then, and in estimating things this need to be taken into account. So for the sake of argument I am going to say that over that time span inflation has been approximately 40% That is, what you could buy for $100 then would now cost you at least $140. This may not be precise, but from looking at the inflation numbers over the years that is the best I could come up with.

IMG_2604.jpg

A small section of John Burleson's 120-gallon tank in 1998, which at the time was the state of the art.

So to do my comparison I thought it would be interesting to compare the total cost of setting up a complete reef tank in 1998 and now. Twenty years ago I set up a 120-gallon reef tank, so I thought this would be a good tank to set up for comparison purposes, even though back then it was considered a “large” tank. For this comparison I took the cost of each piece of equipment I used and compared it with something comparable now. I tried to be fair in that back then I tried to use the best piece of equipment I could find and that is what I tried to do now. Some may have a difference of opinion from mine as to what is the “best” but I tried to be fair in both evaluations. To try and be fair in this comparison I got the prices from the advertisements in the magazines that I had from then while now the best prices were obtained from online stores. Again there may be some dispute, but I tried to be as equitable as possible in terms of the quality and equivalence of products as I could.

IMG_2307.jpg

A section of what a modern 120-gallon tank can look like today.

So let’s get started on the comparison of what things cost now versus twenty years ago. To start with let’s begin with the basics: tank, stand and canopy. In 1998 I actually purchased a complete set of these items at what I thought of then as a good price of $149 for the tank, $229 for the stand and $129 for the canopy for a total of $507. Today when I got the prices for these items, $480 was the price for a tank, $500 for a comparable stand and $440 for the canopy for a total of $1420. When getting these prices I tried to have the tank, stand and canopy be comparable to what I got in 1998 so I’m sure there can be differences in what some may find for these basic items, or one could even save money by getting these items used. But this is not an exercise to compare the lowest prices on things but rather an attempt to see how the cost of getting into the hobby has changed in twenty years.

IMG_0009.jpg

A picture of my current 120-gallon tank.

The next group of items and which in my opinion are essential for a reef tank are lights, protein skimmer, sump, overflow, powerheads, return pump, RO/DI unit and heater. Again there can be a marked difference in the cost of things depending on what is chosen, but I tried to select what I either used then to what I felt was comparable now. For lighting I used a Coralife metal halide fixture with Actinic fluorescent lights included, as to me this was the light I used then as I thought it was a great light back then. The cost for this unit was $450, bulbs included. One thing that needs to be considered though in my choosing metal halide lights is that I when I used these lights on my tank, then I also needed to use a chiller, otherwise the tank would overheat. For this size of tank, the recommended chiller cost $399 in 1998. Today I would use two Radion G4 LED light units. I chose these, as like the Hamilton metal halide unit of its day, it is my opinion that these are the best lights available. I’m sure this will stir up some arguments, but that is for another time, here I am just trying to compare costs and the cost for two of these fixtures is around $1600.

IMG_2609.jpg

A page showing one of the many mail order pet shops that were the just starting to supply the hobby.

1998 was an interesting time in that it was during that time that reef keepers were in the midst of switching over from trickle filters to using protein skimming to control nutrients in their tanks. So to be honest at this time it was hard to find any that I would consider really good commercially available protein skimmers. But if you looked around you could find some, so for me it was the MTC skimmer which cost $170. While this seemed expensive at the time it was considerably less than what a trickle filter cost which was $400. Today I would use a Vertex Omega 800 which cost $49.

IMG_1106.jpg

Unlike today where much of the hobby is fueled by frags back in 1998 full colonies were how we filled our tanks.

As long as I have had tanks, all of my tanks have had a sump and an overflow to get the water from the tank to it of some kind. Back then I used a 40-gallon tank for $40, which I modified as the sump along with an overflow, which cost $129 and I used an Iwaki 55 for the return and this cost $259. Today I could go a little crazy and get a custom built sump for $500, but to keep things under control, like on my current 120-gallon tank I use a modified 40-gallon tank, which cost me $70, along with a CPR overflow for $135 and a Vectra M return pump for $$325. Again these are my choices of what I had and what I feel now are comparable in terms of quality.

IMG_2258 (1).jpg

Better more efficient equipment is one of the reasons for the increase in the hobby, but in my opinion it is worth it.

Back then we were just starting to add more water movement to our tanks beyond simply relying on our return pumps so on my 120 I used a powerhead and a wavemaker. I used a Hagen 800 powerhead that cost $26 along with a wavemaker that cost an additional $199. Today I would employ either a Tunze Stream that costs $299 or a Vortech MP 40 which costs $339, so let’s split the difference and say it costs $319 to provide good flow in this tank. While flow is important so too is having clean water to start with so I have employed RO/DI units for my tank since I pretty much began keeping saltwater tank. In 1998 a good RO/DI unit ran $199. Today a comparable Spectrapure 4-stage RO/DI unit will run $350.

IMG_1448.jpg

A 120-gallon tank can be set up as simply as this.

The last item in this group while necessary, has caused more problems in my tanks over the years due to its unreliability than just about any other item. If you have been in the hobby for any length of time, then of course you know I am talking about a heater. Back then my favorite heater was an Ebo-Jager and for this size of tank I would have used a 150-watt heater and the price would have been $10. Today I would use Eheim jager heaters and this unit costs $27. When adding up the prices for all of these items in this grouping the cost in 1998 would have been $1881, while the price for comparable items today is $3010.

IMG_2608.jpg

One of the trace elements and additives used in 1998.

IMG_2607.jpg

A picture of the light I used in 1998.

While all of the above items are the backbone of a reef tank, you really can’t have a successful reef tank without the next two: salt and a means for measuring salinity. In 1998 I was already using Instant Ocean salt which cost $19 for a 200-gallon bucket. Today I still use Instant Ocean salt but it now costs $49 for a 200-gallon box. I do miss the big buckets I must admit, but the bucket adds to the price. Back then most of us used the inexpensive and inaccurate box hydrometer that cost $3, while today many of us now use a much more accurate refractometer that costs $35. So the difference in salt and being able to measure it from then to today would be $22 versus $84, to me.

IMG_2261.jpg

The trace elements I am using today.

If salt is the most essential component of a reef tank, then live rock and substrate are probably the components of a reef tank right behind it. Back then live rock was usually used at the rate of 2 pounds per gallon. It was relatively inexpensive, at $4 per pound, which helped, but I still would have only have used 200 pounds so this would have cost $800. Today I only use 1 pound per gallon and let the corals fill in the space, but it is more expensive so the cost would be comparable at $800. Back then bare bottom tanks were not quite as prominent as they are today and live sand was just starting to be the substrate of choice. So to fill the bottom of this tank I would have spent around $100. Today I prefer keeping a bare bottom tank, but to keep things comparable, I would use Carib Sea Ocean Direct Original live sand and it would cost $150 for this size of tank.

IMG_1250.jpg

In 1998 most mushrooms cost about $5, today mushrooms like these can cost significantly more.

The last group of items necessary for doing a reef tank are things we often don’t think about as they are relatively inexpensive, but when you add them all up they add to the cost of the hobby. They include food, autofeeder, carbon, additives, and test kits. When looking at food I chose a mix of dry and frozen as that is what I have always used. In 1998 the mix I chose to start the tank would have run $40, today it would cost $60. I have also always used an autofeeder to feed my tank during the day when I am working as I have found it cuts down on aggression as well as reduces the likelihood that my fish will get so hungry that they will start eating the corals. Then I used a fish sitter which cost $30 while today I use a Current which costs $25. Carbon, something I only run for a week a month, for a pound cost $5 while today it is $10. Test kits, which often don’t get the attention they should are in my opinion crucial when setting up a tank just to know where the tank is in the cycling process and in order to see how good we are at keeping a tank stable. So just getting kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calcium, Alkalinity would have cost $50. Today I would get those and also Magnesium and Phosphate and the cost would be $116. Lastly, I have always over skimmed my tanks and then used additives to make up for the good things that had been taken out. The Coralife additives that I added back then cost $60. Today I still overskim and use additives as I always have. Now I use Brightwell’s additives, and the ones I add cost $65. The total for all of these items is not as high as many of the earlier items, but they do add to the total cost of starting a tank. In 1998 the total for these items was $185, while today the cost is $276.

IMG_0996.jpg

A 120-gallon tank today can still be quite beautiful when set up correctly even when it is not stocked with the most expensive corals.

As I said at the beginning I was not going to get into the cost of coral in this article as that is a topic in itself possibly for a later article. However, I thought it would be interesting to look at the cost of fish from 1998 to now when considering the cost of setting up a tank. For this I decided on just adding 10 fish to this tank, yeah I know well below what I usually have in my tanks, but I thought it would be a good place to start. Also I did not go with anything too esoteric to add, so I decided on adding 5 green chromis, a flame angel, a pair of clownfish none designer, and Yellow tang and a blue hippo tang. In 1998 the cost for these fish would be $10 for the chromis, $20 for the pair of clownfish, $30 for the flame angel, $10 for the yellow tang and $15 for the blue hippo for a total of $85. Today the cost would be $25 for the damsels, $34 for a pair of clownfish, $55 for the Flame angel, $49 for the yellow tang, and $48 for the hippo tang for a total of $211.

IMG_2606.jpg

Back in 1998 the hobby was just switching from trickle filters to protein skimmers.

When quickly looking at the price difference of twenty years to today it is clear that things are indeed more expensive today, but it is also clear that the hobby has never been inexpensive. In 1998 to start a 120-gallon tank it is my estimate that it would have cost around $3580, while today for something comparable it would cost $5951. However, as I stated at the beginning inflation needs to be taken into account when making this comparison. So to compare the costs in an equitable manner the cost for everything in 1998 needs to be multiplied by 1.4 to see how it compares. When this is done the cost for a tank in 1998 at today’s dollars is $5,012 or a $939 difference from today’s price, which is 15%. So That means that setting up a tank today will cost approximately 15% more than it did twenty years ago even when accounting for inflation. Some may disagree with my choices of products or how I came up with the numbers, but I was just trying to see how costs compare and tried to be a s equitable as I could and I thought seeing how the expense compared when setting up a tank from scratch.

IMG_2605.jpg

An interesting picture showing the cost of fish in 1998.

To some, the cost of the hobby or this 15% increase may seem like a lot but to me at least the price of the hobby and this increased cost has been more than offset by the improvements in the hobby and the increased success that we are now enjoying. Also to be honest I thought that the cost of setting up a tank today versus twenty years ago would be significantly more than I found. So in this regard I must admit that I have been wrong in saying that the hobby is more expensive now than in was twenty years ago. Also it is my opinion that the hobby is significantly better and we all have a much higher chance of success, far more than 15% better, that more than offsets this 15% price difference. Now that I have done this estimation I am happy to see that the hobby really hasn’t gotten that much more expensive, at least in terms of setting up a tank. No of course we can go crazy and get far more expensive equipment and get pricey fish and corals to stock it with, but that was not the intent of this article. Instead I hope I showed that you can set up a nice tank for a reasonable amount of money and even if you don’t go nuts on pricey fish and corals you can still have a beautiful tank to enjoy. And having a tan to sit back and enjoy really is the point of the hobby, at least it is for me.
My father and I started keeping marines in 1968 , back then you had to use a undergravel filter with crushed cockel shell for the gravel layer, tap water , no R/o available then and ordinary freshwater tropical fish lighting. Yes things were cheaper, but fish died awfully fast, so you bought a lot more , making it more expensive probably than today. one thing though, the living rock was real , straight out the ocean full of life, not the sterile junk you get today

Back