Has the number of people staying in the hobby grown?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen numerous threads on here and on other forums and pages about the shortage of supplies and livestock. Everything is blamed on the pandemic, but is it actually a by-product of it? Normally the hobby sees a huge downturn in the summer. People become busy doing things outside. This summer however most of us stayed home more. I am still new, but I didn't notice a downturn on any forum or page I belong to. This leads me to believe that more people stuck with the hobby and are successful. If this is true then the reason there is a shortage of things like TMP and livestock could be that there is more demand. The companies that produce the item were not prepared to have this much product on hand. This makes a lot more sense to me than they are producing less. I would think that it would have been worked out by now.

There are exceptions of course. Why you can't get the versa pump is beyond me. They sold out quickly and I haven't seen one since. Yet, the Trident is now easily available and Neptune shut down almost completely. TropicMarin even posted that it wasn't a production nor shipping issue for their salt. It is a supply vs. demand issue.

This could also explain the higher prices on fish. The same number or close to is coming in, but more people are trying to buy them. This would make supply seem low and would help explain the higher prices. I am positive that shipping plays a part, but higher demand also plays a part. It will also keep the prices of fishes high because I don't see a good way to increase supply without more breeding.

Anyway, I am just bored at work and started to think about this. I would enjoy hearing your idea as well.

Snaizel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i actually work at a speciality pet store (independently owned (specializing in high end reptiles/freshwater fish and plants) and because of the lockdowns and the pandemic we have been the most successful (defining success in business/monetary terms) we have ever been in the stores history. People routinely come in now and buy up all our supplies/setups/animals etc as fast as we can get stuff in. Its a combination of having to be inside quarantining + most other hobbies getting restricted on shut down + more income saved due to lockdown + time on your hands.

More people are buying pets for their children to be entertained with and for themselves now that they have the time to really invest in deep hobbies like reptile and fish keeping. No one is spending money on vacations or eating out so irs going to hobbies. Also the supply chains are strained right now with a LOT less shipping going on and the infrequency of all of it. It's essentially a perfect storm so I imagine it's both of these factors attributing to the lack of supplies from big online supplies and also LFS. There's more likely been a huge uptick of interest in the hobby it's actually how I was able to get into it haha.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the case for a number of hobbies that take place at home. I know some that I am involved in are having record years (computerized christmas lights, BBQ smokers)

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in this hobby for a long time, but I can say I have spent more on it this year than I have in a long time. For me, my tank has been what is keeping me sane during this quarantine. Without my tank, I would be going stir crazy. So I have no doubt been one to increase demand on dry goods. I have not done much with livestock though.

I can’t imagine I am alone in turning towards my hobby to occupy my time. Fortunately for me and my wife, we have been able to keep our jobs, so we haven’t had to trim the budget to make ends meet. So the online marine retailers have I’m sure benefited from my newfound interest in this hobby.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back