Hasted's Red Sea XL 300

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join me on my reefing journey as I upgrade from a basic 29g setup to a Red Sea Reefer XL300!

Aug 1, 2020 FTS

20200801_161318.jpg

Aug 7, 2020 FTS
20200807_174301.jpg

Aug 14, 2020 Right side tank shot
20200814_172145.jpg

Aug 21, 2020 FTS
20200821_150004.jpg

February 6, 2021
20210206_232331.jpg

Non Coral Livestock:

29g Transfer
-2 Black Photon Clownfish
-1 Yellow Watchman Gob
- 1 Pistol Shrimp
- Various Snails
Added
-5-7 Hermits
-1 Emerald Crab
-More Snails

Corals:
Transfered
+ Radioactive Hammer
+ Lava Bomb Acan (doing terrible still)
+ Mayan Moon Favia
+ Candy Cane
+ Splatter Goniastrea
+ WWC Cotton Candy Chalice
+ Other Chalice
+ WWC Phantasm Blasto
+ Acid Rain Lepto
+ Neon Spongodes Montipora (coming back from dead!)
+ Zoas
Bambam
Scrambled Eggs (I think)
Radioactive Dragons Eye
Rainbow Infusion
Rainbow Incinerator
Rando green things

Things I have lost:
+ Beautiful Midas Blenny (flukes)
+ A few zoa heads (too much Aptasia to save)
+ Green Birdsnest (not sure, STN?)

Equipment List:
2 AI Prime HD 16
Reef Octopus Varios-6 Return Pump
Red Sea RSK 300 Protein Skimmer
BRS Temp controller w/ 200w Heater, 150w Heater (or something?)
BRS 5 Stage RODI
Red Sea Blue Bucket

Hanna Salinity / Temp
Hanna ULR Phosphate
Hanna Alkalinity
Hanna Calcium
API Nitrate
API Nitrite
API Ammonia
API PH
Salifert Magnesium

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my original post down to here to use 1st post as a progression post. Here is first and second posts:

Well, I pulled the trigger on an XL 300. It should be here within 2 weeks!

Background: I started this hobby less than a year ago. I went budget and went with a basic 29g, HOB, etc. I absolutely love the current tank and this hobby and felt it was time to do an upgrade.

I originally thought I could manage a 4 foot tank (XL 425). After nearly two months of debating, my wife and I both like the current spot that the tank is in. So, here we are with one that seems to be a perfect fit for that spot!

Now I need to pick up the extra pieces of equipment that I will need for the new tank. I also need to make sure each fits with the tank. The largest purchases in order are:

Ecotech Vectra S2 (Mobius) - I am pretty sure the return pump is all I NEED to get the new tank cycling.

Edit: Vectra S2 and M2 are out of stock. Found a lightly used VarioS-6. Not 100% satisfied, but dang close.

Red Sea RSK 300 Protein Skimmer - the smaller of the the RS skimmers. Hopefully the footprint is small enough to fit in the sump.

MP40QD (Mobius) - I have simple powerheads that will do the trick at first. Will upgrade to MP40 quickly, though.

Tunze 3155 ATO - Replacing Red Sea's "ATO" as I have heard many stories of how useless it is.

There will be plenty if smaller pick ups that will pop up. Another heater, larger siphon, etc. I don't feel like that's exciting for anyone, though!

Now it is time for me to research the best way to swap tanks in the same spot. Was going to be easy with the 4' spot since I could just have them both running.

Been working on some simple things to prepare for my upgrade.

I have a few rocks cycling in a brute can now. I have 20 more lbs on the way that should be here tomorrow. Will clean them and toss them in once they arrive. That should give me plenty of options with the rock already in the 29g.

I have also ordered 40 more lbs of sand. I will have ~60# of dry sand at that point with what was left over from the 29g.

I have decided I am going to drain most of the water from the 29g, place coasters under the feet, and move it about 4 feet to the other wall. I couldn't wrap my head around how I would break down the tank and also put up the tank with my livestock in the exact same spot. If I go ahead and move it now, I can cycle the XL 300 and then move things over while keeping the 29g running (temp). At that point, the existing rock is all that will be difficult to work around. (I want to take my time with the scape, but kind of want to use most of the 29g rock).

I have picked up some Brute cans to upgrade my water station. Since I will be doing 10 - 15g water changes, I will need more water on hand. 5g changes were crazy simple. I am going to look through some pages and find a good way to set up the cans.

I am going to buy my return pump in a couple days. That SHOULD be the most important piece of equipment I need immediately. Again, I plan on going with the Ecotech Vectra S2 which is 1400gph. Red Sea suggests 660 GPH. That means the pump can run at 50% roughly. I assume that is perfect, but... Any comments on this before I buy?

Thanks for checking out my simple update!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing inventory and picking up cheaper things that are too small, can't be used in an upgrade, etc. Here is the master list that I have created in my notes so far. This list will expand some. If it is BOLD, that means it I just now bought it specifically for the upgrade. Plenty more I need to pick up!

Lighting:
2x AI Prime 16HD Reef Aquarium LED, Black
+Gooseneck mounts

Powerheads:
3x Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead 425gph
+ Hydor Smart Wave Circulation Pump Controller

Heaters
Finnex HMA-S HEATER W/ ANALOG CONTROLLER - 150w
Finnex HMA-S HEATER W/ ANALOG CONTROLLER - 200w
Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller

Test Kits:
API Reef Master Test Kit (I know)
Hannah Alkalinity
Hannah Phosphate ULR
Hannah Calcium
Hannah Salinity/ Thermometer
AquaForest Magnesium

Water, Salt, Mixing:
BRS 5 STAGE PREMIUM PLUS 75 GPD RO/DI SYSTEM
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
10g, 20g Brute Cans w/ Lids
3 5g Buckets w/lids (waste, fresh, salt)

Sand, Rock, etx
60 Lbs ARAGONITE FIJI PINK DRY SAND
40 lbs Carib Sea South Seas Base Rock
- 25 lbs is in use in 29g currently
20 lbs Marco Reef Saver
10 lbs Marco Shelf

Maintenance
Python Pro-Clean Gravel Washer Siphon Kit (Small / Tall)
Flipper MAGNETIC CLEANER
Turkey Baster
Syringes
Measure Cups galore

Random
Coral Dip
Red Sea Reef Foundation Package (Alk, Cal, Mag)
Reef Roids
LRS Reef Frenzy

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new update on tank delivery.

Now up to 4-6 weeks. o_O

Good news is that I have been cycling extra rocks (maybe 30+ lbs?) which will give me a small jump once it does arrive.

It also allows me to put in my return pump order in. Again. It got skipped over and didn't go through apparently. No rush now and gives me a chance to double make sure I want the Vectra S2!!

Coming weeks will just be testing the rocks, washing the new sand that came in, moving existing tank over 5 feet, and waiting.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a whirlwind. Turns out the delivery is NOT 3-5 more weeks... but Wednesday or Thursday of THIS week! I am days away!

With that being said, I still do not have a return pump. The Ecotech S2s are still out of stock. Looks like I am going a different route. Either a more budget friendly option temporarily or upgrade to the M2 (I think that is the next step up) for 50 more dollars. Run it at like 30%... I haven't a clue what to do! I wasn't expecting it for weeks so I relaxed on my search.

Other than that. Rocks still cycling. Sand cleaned.

Zero saltwater mixed up.

Old tank is still in the spot (company Wednesday and didn't want to move until after)...

Oh man. I am now processing everything I need to do!

Pbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I haven't ordered mine yet, but am planning on the same tank in the next month or so. I, too, am going to have to move my current setup, which is why I am waiting your updates. That being said, there is still no reason to rush, plan, re-plan and do things in your time. Enjoy the process!

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank arrived... at the shop. Owner was super busy and wasn't able to deliver it to me today. Which is fine. I am not in that huge if a rush.

Soon!

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200720-213413_Gallery.jpg

It has arrived! Barely got a delivery in time right as I was needing to head out the door. Super busy tomorrow with an all day event with my team (coach). Hopefully start assembling on Wednesday.

Still no return pump. Hesitated too long on the upgraded Vectra and the m2 was sold out again by the time I got back with my shop (24 hours). I am not sure what I am doing in that regard.

To catch everyone up to date with where I am at.

Old tank needs to be moved over.

Rocks are currently in a Brute can. I haven't checked on them in 4 days. May be good to go, may need more time.

Sand was cleaned a couple days ago. Was almost dried again today. Will only need about half of what I have I think (58 lbs).

I still have no return pump (as mentioned) or skimmer. Skimmer doesn't matter for a bit. I can pick that up next month or so.

I have powerheads that will work. Will upgrade to MP40s, though.

Slow and steady.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally built the stand today. Took 2.5 hours. I really feel like they skipped an entire step. Ended up with 2 pcs left which ended up being the supports inside the stand for the top. Couldn't find it anywhere in the instructions. Was pretty clear where they were meant for by looking at the stand, though.

I also snagged a lightly used Reef Octopus Varios-6 return pump today. Was a great price, but didn't come with the float switch. I wasn't able to find a Vectra in stock and this popped up. Not completely stoked about it, but happy.

Tomorrow comes leak testing and also moving the previous tank. I am excited to get this filled!

Rocks are finished cycling. Sand has been cleaned. I have 35g of salt water mixed (not enough, but a start). Wife is on board. Couldn't be happier.

20200724_160811.jpg

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update post!

20200726_112831.jpg

Drained old tank down to a couple inches. Put furniture slides under the feet and scooted it over. Was a pretty easy process. I took the chance to brush off the removable rocks, also.

20200726_123803.jpg

Back together with no issues. Yet.

And then the fun part!

20200726_144044.jpg

Stand is together. This is as far as I am getting today until someone is available to help me with the tank. Looks great in this spot.

20200726_144052.jpg

Another step or two down. Closer and closer.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "upgraded" my mixing tanks, but definitely not enough to full fill 80g in one go. Had about ~35g mixed up and to temp. Mixing 20g more as I type this. Slow and steady.

20200728_184738.jpg

This is the "extra" rock I ordered for this tank. Once I get it full amd tests 0 on everything, I will also transfer over most of the rock in the 29g. Right now it feels... empty. I especially want the center rock that my Yellow Watchman and Pistol Shrimp hang out. Keep that front and center and hopefully they gravitate to it again.

The shelf rock is awesome, but i definitely should have done things a bit different.

Should have bought enough rock where I didn't need the 29g rocks. Cemented it and then cycled them. Right now I am kinda half scaped waiting to get the other base rock in. Now I am going to have to move a ton of crap with 2 feet of water to plunge into. And sand...

With the shelf rock (awesome) it is hard to get the ledges I want. Managed it at one end, but still want to add something to give it a small bond to be safe. Again. If I did things differently.

Not gonna deter me. I will gladly rescape if I don't like it.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Got it filled yesterday. Finished fine tuning the overflow to get it silent. Took a while. Wife thought the loud gurgling was normal and was not a fan. Didn't help that I had the 29g low on water so it was also splashing... both fixed and now fish room is relatively quiet with 2 tanks running.

Scape is "ok" at parts. I ended up moving everything again (also took out a couple rocks from 29g since they were base rocks). Completely moved sand with a credit card so the rocks won't collapse on my YWG or Shrimp when they get under them.

I am not sure what I will keep and how many more times I will change the scape.

I did make a cool little pedestal that I can slap a couple SPS on later in life.

Here are some current pics. I am not utilizing a lot of the front space other than the left side:

20200730_131347.jpg

Front tank shot
20200730_131359.jpg

Looking down. I have plenty of space for my mag cleaner on all sides.

20200730_132019.jpg

View from left.

20200730_132011.jpg

Darker pic, right side. A lot of extra space. I have a few more rocks. I want to utilize this deep tank, so I hope to figure out something.

I tested again today and had a very small amount of ammonia. I dumped in a bottle of Bio Spira. The rocks are pre cycled so I assume the Ammonia is going to go away soon. No rush if it doesn't. Not going to move any fish until it goes away, though.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the "established" rocks from my 29g and the rocks I cycled in a Brute, looks like we are good to go. First day showed very small amounts of ammonia (as mentioned). Bio Spira added. Next day (Friday) nothing. Tested again yesterday (Saturday). Went ahead and moved the clowns over!

We are officially a fish tank as of August 1, 2020.

I will keep monitoring both tanks.

Now for today. I moved over an extra Rainbow Infusion Zoa frag I have as a tester. I assume it won't be SUPER happy due to how clean the water still is. Every day it should help that aspect.

Stay tuned! Will be completing the transfer within a week if everything keeps in check like it has been!

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't highlighted my corals that I had in my nano. Photo dump time!

20200805_153154.jpg

20200805_153149.jpg

My two hammers. They are essentially opposite colored. One has light stems with bright green tips (Radioactive Hammer) and the other is green stems with light tips (LFS pick up, no idea on name). Hammers, Frogspawn, etc are my favorite coral at the moment.

20200805_155817.jpg

WWC Phantasm Blasto top down. It has many (6+?) Little heads popping up underneath this one.

20200805_153142.jpg

WWC Mayan Moon Favia. Had a deep purple outer area with the green insides when I got it. The green has slowly taken over the whole thing. Pretty neat to see.

20200805_180949.jpg

My two chalices. Top is a... crap. I forget. I will edit this once I remember. It "seems" real upset with the move. I haven't seen the mouths/eyes open like that before. The bottom, smaller one is a WWC Cotton Candy. I kinda ripped some flesh off when I was scrubbing it before the transfer. I hope it heals up because I love the color of this little guy.

20200805_180952.jpg

Top is my saddest purchase so far. It is a Lava Bomb Aussie Lord that looked absolutely stunning in the WYSIWYG pics from WWC. Literally never has been open more than a bit more than this. This is and the Hammer were the reason I ordered this set of corals. I still don't know if I can salvage this guy or not... I have been doing everything I can. I am open to any suggestions. In low flow sand bed at the moment.

The bottom is an Acid Rain Leptoseris. It hasn't done much. But it looks neat!

20200805_155837.jpg

I currently have all my Zoas in one rack. In no particular order are:

Rainbow Infusions
Rainbow Incinerators
Radioactive Dragons Eye
Scrambled Eggs (probably)
Bam Bams
Rando deep green ones
Um, maybe one or two more?

Not pictured are two corals that are doing worse than the Acan.

I have a Neon Spongodes Montipora that was doing fine in the 29g. I dipped it and transferred it and it immediately lost all its beautiful green color and is a full white / tan color now. I think I killed it..

I also have a Candy Cane that just hates me. It came with some algae and I have brushed it off three times. I think I may be a bit rough with my cleaning and hurt my corals...

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my set up for my 300xl. Little bit of a mess at the moment
87248B28-5765-489F-9B60-27E062C348A9.jpeg
6837D5C3-2B3D-4ECB-9157-39A76A269E9C.jpeg
Ooh, I see some good stuff here!

I am definitely interested in a roller in the not-so-distant future!

My skimmer arrives Wednesday. I was going to put it in the back right section. I see you have it in the front right? Is there something behind it?

I am sure there are other things I can't make out, also. Thanks for sharing! I feel like yours is quite a bit more advanced than mine right now, so it is awesome to see that!

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the back I have 3 separate pumps. Macro algea reactor, uv sterilizer and reactor. Then sectioned off an area for live rock. I didn’t want the skimmer before the return pump cuz it usually eats up a ton of pods. Want as many pods go back up top as possible.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back