Hatched a batch of Gold Nugget maroon clownfish eggs!

PinkLadyLVT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My beloved pair of Gold Nugget maroon clowns gave me a nice batch of eggs after 3 years. Dad took wonderful care of them over the last week, cleaning and aerating them. I watched their development and we moved them last night on hatching night, and we have about 50 hatched so far! All swimming around and doing well. They’re set up in a 10g tank with water from the main display kept at 78 degrees, blacked out on all sides and bottom, and I added the first rotifers from the main batch today. Still several viable eggs on the rock that haven’t hatched yet, and they’re still good and moving inside. Hoping they come out.

How often and how much should I be feeding them each day? I have TDO-A to start introducing on day 5. Should I crush it more than it is? Added phytoplankton to the water to help keep the rotifers alive as they eat them but not sure if I added enough. The rotifers are in their own container.

How much water flow should they have? The bubble stone gently cycles the water and I worry it’s too much? We’re going to add a stop-**** tonight to adjust it down a bit. They do have some live rock in there to hide under if they like. Clean bare glass bottom.

How much water should I change each day? I can use a turkey baster to clean any detritus on the bottom without sucking up any babies. But not sure about what percentage of the water should be changed.

I know some won’t make it, but if I get a handful of survivors I’ll be happy! I adore mom and dad, they’re so personable and funny. They eat from my fingers and like to swim in my hands when I offer food (and they hate my husband — she bites the crap out of him when he cleans the tank…LOL).

Any tips are much appreciated! I’ve been reading all these threads and many articles while we waited for them to be ready.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    62.6 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ve
My beloved pair of Gold Nugget maroon clowns gave me a nice batch of eggs after 3 years. Dad took wonderful care of them over the last week, cleaning and aerating them. I watched their development and we moved them last night on hatching night, and we have about 50 hatched so far! All swimming around and doing well. They’re set up in a 10g tank with water from the main display kept at 78 degrees, blacked out on all sides and bottom, and I added the first rotifers from the main batch today. Still several viable eggs on the rock that haven’t hatched yet, and they’re still good and moving inside. Hoping they come out.

How often and how much should I be feeding them each day? I have TDO-A to start introducing on day 5. Should I crush it more than it is? Added phytoplankton to the water to help keep the rotifers alive as they eat them but not sure if I added enough. The rotifers are in their own container.

How much water flow should they have? The bubble stone gently cycles the water and I worry it’s too much? We’re going to add a stop-**** tonight to adjust it down a bit. They do have some live rock in there to hide under if they like. Clean bare glass bottom.

How much water should I change each day? I can use a turkey baster to clean any detritus on the bottom without sucking up any babies. But not sure about what percentage of the water should be changed.

I know some won’t make it, but if I get a handful of survivors I’ll be happy! I adore mom and dad, they’re so personable and funny. They eat from my fingers and like to swim in my hands when I offer food (and they hate my husband — she bites the crap out of him when he cleans the tank…LOL).

Any tips are much appreciated! I’ve been reading all these threads and many articles while we waited for them to be ready.
ry nice. See if you can find rotifiers and hatch or purchase baby brine shrimp- perfect foods
Reef nutrition carries them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yep, already have them. I mentioned I’d already given them some. Just wasn’t sure how much they need each day.
Several (4-6) feedings per day and what they can sonsume in 2-3 minutes

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back