Hats off to micro and nano reef owners!

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a fan of big tanks. I started by helping my dad with his little 29g damsel tanks back in the late 70's. Even then, I pushed hard for bigger!! As a kid, we never had a tank over 55 gallons, but as I got older they seemed to accumulate around the house :)

I like stability! I'm also a gadget geek, and working in IT it only fuels that side of it. It may cost more in salt. It may cost more when things go wrong. However, for the LIFE of me, I can't figure out how anyone can grow SPS in a nano unless testing everything three times a day!!

LOL, this came about from trying to QT some SPS. It wasn't a total disaster. 5 of 5 survived from one batch, 4 of 5 from the next. All recovered once in the DT. But, DANG, small tanks are hard :( I'm moving from a 10g to a 29g for the next go. More stable, I'll test more. Sheesh!!! I STINK at maintaining a small tank!!

Kudos to the nano folks!!! I hope it's on your work desk and you test it while on the clock! :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cv.jpg

Im not saying that's pretty, im saying its the densest coral loading ever sustained in a reef tank long term per unit of water heh.

pressed against the glass dense, for a decade + (to current date)
1 gallon
no filters, only water changes and no dosing no measuring anything but temp and salinity

feed it well, change the water regularly, that's the work involved.

corals are 12x variety, lps and sps included, none are chemical warring.

12 years, no algae, so much coral I have to dremel it out, and topoff is NO ATO assist, and once a week :)

wanna know the sauce secret?

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inner diameter fitting lid.

not a square tank, and not a lid that rests on the surface or one that vents the system with a huge opening like most reef lids (gotta have that gas exchange)

A vase has a fluted neck which allows a simple plastic gardening dish to sit inverted pressing down on the inside, and what that does is change the whole game.

our gas exchange is handled because we pump air in, the only movement is an airstone. So what difference does it make if an inner-fitting lid blocks out 95% evaporation, if positive pressure o2 comes up from under it and vents out a tiny pinhole? o2 in, and co2 out.

ID lid fit changes EVERYTHING

so the irony is, a one gallon reef is way more stable than a 5, 10, 15, 30 but its not nerf proof and those are.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing, what's that? ;)

Seriously, test alk and salinity 2x/week and the rest every couple weeks or so in this 10 year old unfiltered 12g:

12g FTS 10th Year Aug 2018.jpg

Acros grow too quick and are too aggressive for this small system, but I've left one 8 year old Granulosa in there to battle it out among the Leptoseris, Pavona and Seriatopora. Just have to keep up with maintenance, be patient and let the system mature without too much interference.

Ralph.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back