hauling tank (or how to keep fish alive in the car across states)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to keep things alive for a drive across states. Any recommendations?

I see Pentair offers one they call the "HT6" at https://pentairaes.com/hauling-tank-25-l-x-16-w-x-16-h.html with built in aeration. Picture attached. I haven't really seen anything else comparable.

ht6.jpg

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an igloo that I put a hole through (drilled it on top). I run an air stone through the hole attached to a portable battery operated air pump. I’ve also heard they sell heaters that work via the car lighter outlet although I have not looked for one myself. Oxygenation and heat can be pretty well controlled via these methods. However if your drive is super long you would need to worry about ammonia build up.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you moving? Most fish will do fine in a 5 gallon bucket lined with plastic bag. You can secure (close) the top of the bag so no loss of water or fish. Live rock can be loosely wrapped with wet newspapers and then place inside plastic bags which then are placed in coolers.
Place everything in back seat with car heater on. No need for air or supplemental heat in most instances. Don’t feed fish for two days prior to move.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an igloo that I put a hole through (drilled it on top). I run an air stone through the hole attached to a portable battery operated air pump. I’ve also heard they sell heaters that work via the car lighter outlet although I have not looked for one myself. Oxygenation and heat can be pretty well controlled via these methods. However if your drive is super long you would need to worry about ammonia build up.
you can run a power inverter through your lighter outlet, then you can plug whatever you want.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be using this for bringing home things I purchase while on the road. Typically no more than 1 night but sometimes a few days.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be using this for bringing home things I purchase while on the road. Typically no more than 1 night but sometimes a few days.

Can use that set up, or a simple battery/usb pump and if you stay in a hotel bring a cheap 50w heater.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, interesting. numerous days will be tricky for a few reasons. at that point Id recommend building or buying a rather thick (acrylic could be good) box with a secured lid (prevent evaporation and spills) with cutouts for the pipes of an airstone, heater, and an AirPower sponge filter along with a few small ones for ventilation (not too many or too big, you need to minimize evaporation. This should ensure a safe environment for transport. Put a few cut PVP pipes and attach magnets to them (prevent rolling) so the fish will be less stressed (they need a hiding place).

This recommendation will allow the tank to be stable over long drives and in different temperatures along with supporting larger fish or sensitive fish. and could even be used as a QT tank if need be.

EDIT: how large of a space is within the car?

Last edited:

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petsmart/Petco have cheap pumps that work well. But they are loud and may bother you on a long drive.

Also consider something that binds ammonia because it will build up.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something like this

Edit
Apparently you can't post Amazon links?
Something like this but you can find cheaper Chinese alternatives, not something I would go expensive on by any menas.

Last edited:

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This airstone is only $10 and plugs into your cars USB port.

ALON Aquarium USB Air Pump Ultra Quiet Nano Air Pump for Fish Tank with Hanging Buckle and Check Valve - Blue (Blue)…​

This is a great little heater that I use for warming new water change water in the winter. Has doubled in price in the last couple years but still fairly cheap at $15. Could use in your hotel.

Aqueon Preset Heater​

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the distance of the move as mentioned above the few things for a successful move of your fish in order of importance are...
Well aerated water, curtail ammonia buildup, keep temp from fluctuating more than a few degrees. Regardless the most important thing is well oxygenated water. Fish are easy, corals are a whole different animal.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any pump recommendations? I am not familiar

This little pump that plugs into your car usb is only $10 on amazon.

Back