Have I dosed my last dose of RS?!? (Switching to Tropic Marin)

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I just dosed my last bit of Red Sea (RS) magnesium this morning and calcium plus isn’t far behind. Instead of reordering the Red Sea I’ve had my eye on the Tropic Marin ALL-FOR-REEF BRS has some great reviews and it’s been sold out during covid times. I’m wondering what folks think of it and what are the results you’re getting.

also if you would share:
What type of tank are you running? Mixed, dominant?
Post a pic, always helps sell me on things:)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude AFR is soooo nice! Only one doser to worry about it’s great. I put in 16 ml a day and it keeps my Alk at 9 cal at 450 and mg at 1415. It is so stable you could set your watch to it. I have a mixed reef, 65 gal w sump. It can get expensive I am at 33.00 every 85 days which is more than acceptable for me but if you have a huge tank you can always make your own. The recipe was released by TM! Of course they want you to use there ingredients but how cool is that of them to give that info out to the community! Good stuff. As you can see tank is full of corals and AFR gives me complete stability. I am gonna do a ICP next month to check trace as it’s been dosed for 6 months now.

BEC43B24-1ACA-4657-8F08-05A163632407.jpeg

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking into doing the same thing for my 300xl. I’ve been dosing my Nuvo10 with it every so often.

One thing I haven’t been able to find a reef calculator that has it listed as a chemical.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking into doing the same thing for my 300xl. I’ve been dosing my Nuvo10 with it every so often.

One thing I haven’t been able to find a reef calculator that has it listed as a chemical.
Good to know! I’ll be in the hunt for that. Or maybe I’ll have to creat an excel sheet and share it out.
How do you like the Nuvo10?

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude AFR is soooo nice! Only one doser to worry about it’s great. I put in 16 ml a day and it keeps my Alk at 9 cal at 450 and mg at 1415. It is so stable you could set your watch to it. I have a mixed reef, 65 gal w sump. It can get expensive I am at 33.00 every 85 days which is more than acceptable for me but if you have a huge tank you can always make your own. The recipe was released by TM! Of course they want you to use there ingredients but how cool is that of them to give that info out to the community! Good stuff. As you can see tank is full of corals and AFR gives me complete stability. I am gonna do a ICP next month to check trace as it’s been dosed for 6 months now.

BEC43B24-1ACA-4657-8F08-05A163632407.jpeg
The color in your tank is amazing! It looks like you've got some great growth going on!

Thank you for the knowledge drop I'm going to look for that receipt :). I love it when companies do things like that, we'll still be ordering their product, we been thinking about switching to their salt. I really like that you only need to dose once with the TM. I also like the fact that you're seeing stability, we have a week to week fluctuations with the RS, our corals are sucking it up. I'll update this thread once I get some results... Think I'll probably order a bottle today :)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best thing I can suggest is used 2 part or whatever to get your calcium and alkalinity and magnesium exactly where you want it. Start dosing anywhere from 10 to 15 mL a day wait about three days because your alkalinity will not rise right away it Has to interact with bacteria first to be readable. Then test for a couple days and adjust. It is designed to keep your levels where you want them not increase your level. I started dozing 12 ml a day and my alkalinity would drop after a few days so I would dose a little bit more and a little bit more until my Alk stayed right at nine. It just happened that my cal and mg lined up as well.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're moving into the SPS world and from what I've read stability is one of the core checkboxes. Not that we don't monitor the chemistry of our tank, we just want to make sure we're not seeing large swings. Ordered some Tropic Marin today so hopefully we'll see some SPS growth in the coming months.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link for this?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks, not what I would consider a recipe as it's just buying all their products and do your own mixing.

It's all good though if it saves vs buying it pre-mixed by them.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I suppose trying all of there products isn’t a. Idea either. Lol.

I haven’t found any negative reviews about Tropic Marin...they seem like a solid company. Anyone have any issues with there product?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love afr, I was using it for quite awhile but then my doser spazzed and dropped too much in. My calcium and magnesium spiked so I'm dealing with dropping those and just dosing alk right now until I can put AFR back on. Got a new doser too, since that one obviously wasn't trustworthy.

Much better color on everything when it's running though. 90g mixed reef (softy/lps dominant, very few sps)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back