Have I just infected my new tank with ich after dipping live rock in freshwater for 20 minutes

jibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I had a small piece of live rock I wanted to add for my new angel from my other tank which likely has ich in it.

I dipped this piece of rock in freshwater for about 20-30 minutes and then added to the tank.

After about 20 minutes I removed from tank as realized perhaps the cysts could still survive

As I dipped and removed quickly from a tank with no other rocks (literally just frag racks and PVC piping), is it fair to say I'm safe from ich in this new tank or is it still possible?

Thanks very much

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ich is gone, so is everything that would have been beneficial from the rock.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, it’s possible, but the chances are usually pretty slim. Keep an eye out - best thing you can do is keep the rock in a fallow system for 60 days if you don’t want to kill any other life forms.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Do you quarantine every fish, every coral, every snail, everything wet and hard whatsoever, before putting it in your tank? If not, you are not safe. Also it's dead rock now, not live rock

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back