Have to tear down tank due to leak. How to clean rocks

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.

Have to tear down and replace tank due to a seam giving out. I have a lot of rock cycling in my frag system I'll move over.

I want to kill/clean anything on my rocks from my display tear down. I'm most concerned about Ulva, hydroids, and aiptasia (thanks to a certain cleanup crew package)

I took a bunch of rock out. Placed in RO water. If I let it sit for a few days. Take out. Brush and rinse anything off. And then re cycle the rocks. Will that kill aiptasia/hydroids AND the ulva?

Secondly. Will it be a shock to system if I add all my fish right away again in new tank if I am adding cycled rock and marinepure blocks? I'm assuming yes.

Anyone have input on the best way to achieve this? I have quite the list of live stock, but don't want to use the rock or sand currently in tank. And want to safely transfer everything.

I want to avoid bleach and chemicals if possible.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also sorry if I'm all over the place but I currently have 2 straps holding a glass panel up on a 300g aquarium in my basement living room. Kind of on edge right now.

20201023_105407.jpg

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine an ro/di soak would kill the pests and algae on your old rock. It would take time to re-cycle it anyway so you could treat that period as a quarantine as well.

Hard to say if the new rock transfer would support the livestock. Without knowing how much livestock and how much rock it’s a tough call. I would definitely expect some uglies/blooms though even if there’s enough biofilter. If it’s just fish it’d be safer, more sensitive corals would have a harder time.

That being said, none of the livestock will survive in the existing tank if all of the water is on the floor.

That’s hard to hear about, good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine an ro/di soak would kill the pests and algae on your old rock. It would take time to re-cycle it anyway so you could treat that period as a quarantine as well.

Hard to say if the new rock transfer would support the livestock. Without knowing how much livestock and how much rock it’s a tough call. I would definitely expect some uglies/blooms though even if there’s enough biofilter. If it’s just fish it’d be safer, more sensitive corals would have a harder time.

That being said, none of the livestock will survive in the existing tank if all of the water is on the floor.

That’s hard to hear about, good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks. I have a frag tank everyone can go in. Coral too. If needed. And will ultimately probably have to at some point here. Would be just fish in new tank. Corals can chill in frag system.

New tanks roughly 3-4 weeks away. So I'm going to get moving on cleaning and recycling rock right away. I have about 100 pounds of live rock cycling in frag system. With more in RODI soak right now. Then will get that cycling too.

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your frag tank can support all of the live stock I would personally move it over there while the old rock is cycling. Then slowly add livestock into the new tank as if it was a brand new system (which it will be).

Setting up a Simple 40breeder or 55g with 30-50lbs of the old rock could house some or most of the fish as well, that wayyou don’t shock the fray system with a huge bio load all at once.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ro/di soaked rock might not kill the biological filter but it will impact it for certain. I do not know for certain if that will kill your specific pests either? Tooth brush with peroxide would probably increase the likelihood of a 100% pest kill rate without chlorine.

System shock (from increased bioload in the frag tanks) is something to watch. I think I would add some bottle bacteria and add an ammonia monitor and be read to do a water change(s) or chemically bind the ammonia if the frag system gets challenged.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ro/di soaked rock might not kill the biological filter but it will impact it for certain. I do not know for certain if that will kill your specific pests either? Tooth brush with peroxide would probably increase the likelihood of a 100% pest kill rate without chlorine.

System shock (from increased bioload in the frag tanks) is something to watch. I think I would add some bottle bacteria and add an ammonia monitor and be read to do a water change(s) or chemically bind the ammonia if the frag system gets challenged.

Thanks. Out of everything my biggest concern is the pests. If I'm having to redo this I don't wanna re introduce anything I dont want in tank. Or avoid it if at all possible.

My frag system is 120 gallons. With a lot of rock and its already cycled. Can also setup temporary fish tubs.

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not only that, but it will throw all other parameters out of whack.

Personally I’d lean toward setting a temporary fish only system up with some of the old rock to limit the issues in the drag system.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only that, but it will throw all other parameters out of whack.

Personally I’d lean toward setting a temporary fish only system up with some of the old rock to limit the issues in the drag system.
Ya. I'm less concerned about that and more concerned about whether or not a rodi soak will actually kill hydroids, aiptasia and ulva. I can use already cycled rock, and even wait a full cycle again on new tank and add the fish slowly. But I wonder if I am wasting my time soaking rock as opposed to another method.

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. I'm less concerned about that and more concerned about whether or not a rodi soak will actually kill hydroids, aiptasia and ulva. I can use already cycled rock, and even wait a full cycle again on new tank and add the fish slowly. But I wonder if I am wasting my time soaking rock as opposed to another method.

Just brainstorming, but have you thought about moving your coral only to the frag system. Then you could get a couple horse troughs for the old rock, add the fish, and an army of berghia. Put a small compact fluorescent so the fish have a light schedule but not enough light for the ulva?

A rabbit fish and a couple tangs would wipe that ulva out pretty quick, esp if it’s growth is limited. Berghia would take care of the aiptasia... I’ve never dealt with hydroids so I wouldn’t know what to do there.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just brainstorming, but have you thought about moving your coral only to the frag system. Then you could get a couple horse troughs for the old rock, add the fish, and an army of berghia. Put a small compact fluorescent so the fish have a light schedule but not enough light for the ulva?

A rabbit fish and a couple tangs would wipe that ulva out pretty quick, esp if it’s growth is limited. Berghia would take care of the aiptasia... I’ve never dealt with hydroids so I wouldn’t know what to do there.

I mean I have to tear down the tank regardless cause its about to be all over my floor. And the ulva is uncontrollable at this point. It went sexual in my refugium and its spores went everywhere. Its so much its literally growing on my snails. I'm using this opportunity to reset. I have 7 tangs. 15 urchins. 2 sea hares. And a gang of snails and hermits and crabs. And they don't make a dent.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting the ulva for months. Tried everything except literally dosing peroxide. This stuff is cancer. Its the worst. I wouldn't wish this on my enemy. But I see this as an opportunity for a reset. Hopefully rodi soak for a few days kills it. Worst comes to worse ill just fully start over. Tanks only 3 months old. So not like its 8 years of coral growth.

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I have to tear down the tank regardless cause its about to be all over my floor. And the ulva is uncontrollable at this point. It went sexual in my refugium and its spores went everywhere. Its so much its literally growing on my snails. I'm using this opportunity to reset. I have 7 tangs. 15 urchins. 2 sea hares. And a gang of snails and hermits and crabs. And they don't make a dent.

Gotcha. Like I said, just brainstorming. If its that bad, a peroxide dip/scrub like the poster above recommended probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Sounds like its time to re-set.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Like I said, just brainstorming. If its that bad, a peroxide dip/scrub like the poster above recommended probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Sounds like its time to re-set.

Think peroxide over just rodi? I'm fine with a reset if its the safest bet to kill everything. I have 100 pounds of clean untouched rock thats fully cycled I can use too when its time to start new system. And since I have a month or so I can have a month long cycle on more going by then.

Also thanks for you help. Everyone.

Back