Have y’all seen this new product called Reef Delete?

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great and all but you still have to be able to see and reach the pest. If they’re growing in your overflow or plumbing it’s not really effective.
Agreed.

Fatcobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it but i think that only apllys for example in plugs. If you want to exterminate Aptasias on the reef, buy a fish and problem solved.

ITCreefculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
Craig here from ITC Reefculture. I’m one of the co-inventors of Reef Delete and also the in house biologist! If you have any questions on how it works please drop me a line or ideally via our ITC Reefculture Facebook page then we can answer those!

A couple of classics so far: Aiptasia releasing planula (spawn) from our testing and direct sampling above aiptasia being treated.. we haven’t detected any under a microscope yet! That said though.. you’re firing an intense high power UVC beam directly at it.. any that come out will get dosed up! Being tiny simple organisms without any kind of protection,, they are going to get damaged beyond repair and or destroyed! Aips don’t retract into the rock they tend to puff out! See the video at www.reefdelete.com.

Reef Delete could be dangerous if used not as directed by the instructions - as such to help accidental exposure we have safety systems that stop it from being used out of water cutting out if remover whilst power button is pressed outside of the tank. We also include UV400 safe safety goggles just in case. Our thoughts were… toddler proof it . Both me and Matt have young kids and those little hands get into everything!

Aips only touch the surface of the what Reef Delete can do.. anything soft bodied/skin can be damaged beyond repair and killed. It’s a touch up pen for your reef! In some cases you’re better off removing as much of the coral as possible if possible to reduce amount of dose/time required e.g Xenia, Mushrooms etc, No need to scrub or boil rocks, treat it with reef delete to clear the remains. Conversely if it’s bubble algae you can treat it without touching it to kill it then let it break down naturally.

We’re going to release individual species test info over the coming weeks via our Facebook page and are gathering more as we go! There are so many species we can’t test them all so we are looking forward to hearing what you can do with it too!

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like fancy majano wand.

Honestly I just boil some water on the stove... suck it up with a syringe (no needle) and then aim and shoot the aiptasia and it does the same thing but costs like 10 cents. Also they can't hide in a hole since you can flood the hole with the boiling water.

I suppose if I had a fancy looking syringe, with fancy packaging, and a fancy video... then I could also sell special reef safe "aiptasia killing water" bottled like the betta water at Petco.....

They say a sucker is born every day... ya? :)
^^^This has been my go-to method for 34 years^^^
Hi All!
Craig here from ITC Reefculture. I’m one of the co-inventors of Reef Delete and also the in house biologist! If you have any questions on how it works please drop me a line or ideally via our ITC Reefculture Facebook page then we can answer those!

A couple of classics so far: Aiptasia releasing planula (spawn) from our testing and direct sampling above aiptasia being treated.. we haven’t detected any under a microscope yet! That said though.. you’re firing an intense high power UVC beam directly at it.. any that come out will get dosed up! Being tiny simple organisms without any kind of protection,, they are going to get damaged beyond repair and or destroyed! Aips don’t retract into the rock they tend to puff out! See the video at www.reefdelete.com.

Reef Delete could be dangerous if used not as directed by the instructions - as such to help accidental exposure we have safety systems that stop it from being used out of water cutting out if remover whilst power button is pressed outside of the tank. We also include UV400 safe safety goggles just in case. Our thoughts were… toddler proof it . Both me and Matt have young kids and those little hands get into everything!

Aips only touch the surface of the what Reef Delete can do.. anything soft bodied/skin can be damaged beyond repair and killed. It’s a touch up pen for your reef! In some cases you’re better off removing as much of the coral as possible if possible to reduce amount of dose/time required e.g Xenia, Mushrooms etc, No need to scrub or boil rocks, treat it with reef delete to clear the remains. Conversely if it’s bubble algae you can treat it without touching it to kill it then let it break down naturally.

We’re going to release individual species test info over the coming weeks via our Facebook page and are gathering more as we go! There are so many species we can’t test them all so we are looking forward to hearing what you can do with it too!
It sounds promising and I'd like to see some real-world results. Now if you could just bring the price down......it might be something for a club to buy and loan out to members, sorta like a par meter?

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds promising and I'd like to see some real-world results. Now if you could just bring the price down......it might be something for a club to buy and loan out to members, sorta like a par meter?
I don't think they will need to bring the price down much. This is a hobby where people spend $400 on 4 heads of _________coral. This will also be appealing to those struggling with bubble algae, I think. Just look at the Vibrant thread.

Of course, this is just my guess and I'm wrong a lot.

ITCreefculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t forget Aiptasia is just one species in a whole list of potential pests we can treat and are looking at here… we have a big potential to treat coral diseases too (research being done!). Bubble algae is a great one - doesn’t physically have to be touched to break its DNA and deactivate it.. we’re really looking forward to what the community will do with it!

ITCreefculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We’ll be working with a few British retailers and coral farms in the coming months to provide real world examples. We hope to get a few samples out to key players around the world in the coming weeks as well as continuing our work with some of the worlds best coral farmers and scientists to bring some external case studies.

I appreciate our lab macro and tank tests don’t seem real worldly!!

That said all our ‘in tank’ footage from the launch video was filmed at Tristian Wilday’s house - he’s Nano_tank_reefer on Insta - he was not paid for his time he was just happy to help us out….. and loose the aips out of his DT! So he is very much impartial. Free to drop him a line. All his pests were a one hit for the video.

As for the cost.. hopefully you’ll find Reef Delete to be of an extremely high build quality. We didn’t want to go cheap and instead to our mate’s ABYZZ approach.. just build the best dang thing you can!! The UVC LED is 33% of the cost of the device! And 100% worth it. We don’t want to make a cheap product and could have outsourced electronics and manufacturing to china but we didn’t want to. It’s not the way we do things :).

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people using lasers but they seem to be hit or miss. This device looks promising because I know how effective UV can be. I even have a UV water purifier for backpacking now.

@ITCreefculture how long do you need to hold it "beaming" the thing you are trying to kill? For example, you want to zap an aiptasia. You put it under water, aim it, pull the trigger, then hold it there for 5 seconds, 5 minutes? Will you be listing instructions such as how long exposure should be for each pest (Bubble Algae, Aiptasia, Majano, etc.)?

ITCreefculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people using lasers but they seem to be hit or miss. This device looks promising because I know how effective UV can be. I even have a UV water purifier for backpacking now.

@ITCreefculture how long do you need to hold it "beaming" the thing you are trying to kill? For example, you want to zap an aiptasia. You put it under water, aim it, pull the trigger, then hold it there for 5 seconds, 5 minutes? Will you be listing instructions such as how long exposure should be for each pest (Bubble Algae, Aiptasia, Majano, etc.)?
It’s going to vary per species, size and it’s condition etc but let’s say a big honking 30mm aip will probably need about 2x 120s
Doses 1 day apart. If you are happy to stay there longer and give it all you got…! Do it! You cannot overdose and more is better - it just helps to break down faster. Motile stuff like aips and mojo after dosing sometimes go and hide away from light until they rot away. So doing more upfront will help to be sure.

We also think (anecdotally) that adding a detrivoruous bacteria species like Fritzyme 460 will help speed up breakdown. We think they jump the coral and start breaking it down faster! It’s probably a good idea if you’re dosing up lots of things at once.

ITCreefculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like something useful in a large scale operation, like large frag tanks.

Cost prohibitive for most of us.
I think stores will rent them too y’know! At our launch event people felt they would, or offer a treatment service for X pest. They also felt once people got into how it works and becomes a tool for maintenance on going they’ll pick one up or people will club to go in on them. If you see it as a one off cost to do one pest once then it’s not going to pass the wife / husband test..!

Does this work on vermatid snails?
Unsure… although I am going to a coral farm next week to try on micro clove polyps in an infested reef so we can take a look. Shell might just be hard/thick enough to block UVC. If you can get it… then 100% no issue. We’ll be filming in macro and will share on our FB/Insta!

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thing sounds really cool to me! It would be a really good option for an aiptasia infested tank that I have where I can’t add any peppermint shrimp & my berghias were picked off by my Pixie Hawk fish. There are simply too many for AiptasiaX all the time too.
mid be interested in picking this up and I have a few friends who would definitely use this as well, so we could trade it around.

Attachments

• 647BA05B-B67B-4121-9AB3-01C4A7E698EA.jpeg
    647BA05B-B67B-4121-9AB3-01C4A7E698EA.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 54

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back