Have you ever called into work SICK bc of a major tank issue?

Have you ever called into work SICK bc of a major tank issue?

• Yes! plz tell us your story

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 36 43.4%

• Total voters

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of interest:
1. Had to step out of a meeting w/ a customer overseas when my wife texted me to say there was an usually loud noise coming from the mancave (i.e. fish room). Turns out the HOB overflow lost its syphon and the return pump was running dry. Had her turn off the return pump switch until I could return the following week.

2. Called my wife during a power outage and, for some reason, asked her to check on the mancave. She walks in and states "the floor is wet". I frantically told her to get out of the room, go to the breaker box, and shut down everything! I immediately left work to resolve it. Turns out it was a back-syphon issue with my return line. It was plumbed too deep into the tank...which I had propped up higher...but it knocked loose during a recent cleaning and I hadn't realized. Probably overflowed about 10 gallons.

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank emergency no. Take a personal day to stare at my tank yes. Also called out the other day as I did a move from 18.5g to a 40g. gf and I started the move Thursday night at 10 pm and did not finish untill 4 am so we both took the day off... slept like a baby that day.

scdigby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasnt an emergency per say but let's say Sunday night at 1230 isnt the time to decide rerun some plumbing knowing dang well menards isnt open to get parts.
Same here! Except it wasn't at 12:30 at night. It was during the day, so the excuse that the boss heard:
"i have a plumbing problem, and a plumber is coming to my house and i have to be here."

Last edited:

C.Rode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never called in sick, but I have taken a vacation day when I was expecting an overnight fish or coral delivery. In fact ... it’s today!!! Waiting for the fedex man as we speak while I do a water change and make sure the tank is ready to go for some new coral

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost power and didn't have a generator, it was mid-October in NY 2012, and looked like it was going to last awhile. Have gas stove so spent 2 days warming up tank water on stove and pouring back into 55 gallon tank every 15 minutes or so. Yeah, some long nights .... Didn't lose anything except a couple dinner-plate sized colonies of Montipora, but both pieces ended up with about a quarter size area that lived, cut it out and re-attached it and have another large piece today, along with giving a few pieces away since the power outage. Went out and bought a generator as soon as stores had them back in stock.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've taken a day off but I have gone in late by a couple hours. I was up early to work out one morning and heard a really loud noise that sounded like water splashing around. Not the normal water splashing noise. I came downstairs around 4:30am to find that my Tunze 6150 was somehow pointed up at a 45 deg angle and shooting water out of my tank (it was about a foot below the water surface too). Lost about 8-10 gallons of saltwater all over the floor. Thankfully, I was able to clean it up pretty well and have some large fans to dry it over the next few days. I had just enough saltwater sitting and ready to go so the refill wasn't a big deal. Anyway, be careful when you put the flow rectifier on your 6150... they move a LOT of water!! :0)

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course i did! I called my patients saying kids were sick. They were my 6 dwarf seahorses,and 1 small erectus. They were scratching themselves like crazy and started panicking. Got great answers here and alot of help. My tank is still cycling and frustrated.i think ill call out tomorrow again. (Bit then again as a homehealth nurse,I scheduke my own hrs) does this count?

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes when my tank got wiped out by idiot who lived next door to us He fumigated his garden and the poison drifted into our house wiping out my tank.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went into work, and borrowed a generator, the backup batteries were dying. Told them I had a serious problem in my basement. BTW At that point I was running off of a car battery. Utility said it would be days to get the power back up. Wouldn’t you know it, I get everything hooked up extension cords running everywhere, just started to relax, and the power comes back on.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back