Have you ever completely thrown in the towel in regards to reefing?

Have you ever completely thrown in the towel in regards to reefing?

• Yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently trying to catch a mantis shrimp has killed my life stock. Two fish left and bottled trap is only catching brittle worms

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the funnest aspect of online reefing is someone about to quit, willing to try anything because they no longer care if it even works, talk them into rip cleaning their jacked up reef over the internet, they run the rip clean and post a pic of the reef they always wanted thinking it was going to kill their tank further, not completely make it run in every way they ever wanted.

it’s for sure the most fun possible in forums. Reef tank cpr rehab is awesome and it saves thousands and thousands of dollars from total waste. The post about downsizing / gains better control over surfaces / is a really good option too for sure

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw in the towel every week....

In fact, i throw in all my dirty fish towels into the washer every week

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I get frustrated with my progress and want to give up, but then a live sale pulls me back in.

1627906302072.png

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only once I was very close, after having dinos for about a year. Tried everything, couldn't keep corals, tank looked gross, room smelt bad. Fish hated it, dinos growing on their fins. It was a rough one. Then I read some old threads on RC where people didn't sweat it and freak out and throw tons of products at issues like they do on R2R. The overall consensus I walked away with from RC was, this issue didn't happen overnight and nothing will fix it over night. The system needs to heal, so I let it do it's thing. Stopping all additives and changes allowed stability to lock in and within 30 days dinos faded away. I had the wonderful large and small cell amphidinium.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if anybody COMPLETELY threw in the towel, they probably wouldn't still be here :)
Not necessarily true I quit once and then 10 years later started again. It's not uncommon to see threads where someone says they've gotten back into the hobby.

Edit- Unless when you emphasize completely you meant not getting back into reefing...then I agree. I guess by that I only partially threw in the towel LOL

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily true I quit once and then 10 years later started again. It's not uncommon to see threads where someone says they've gotten back into the hobby.
The way I read it, if you come back, you have not completely thrown in the towel lol.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I read it, if you come back, you have not completely thrown in the towel lol.

Yea I realized that as soon as I posted and edited my post. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the fact the completely was all caps.
Also, based on that no one can know if they've completely thrown in the towel. When I left the hobby I had no intentions of ever having another tank. It was my wife 10 years later who suggested I setup another tank.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of. When I moved I completely took down my 2 AIO tanks, and sold what I could. I think the only thing from the old tanks I still have is a magnetic algae scraper that somehow got in a box. The tanks were salvagable (one was doing well but only had softies and no fish, other one was ridden with aiptaisa but not to the point it was unstoppable), but when you add in all the expenses of moving and difficulty of keeping livestock alive, it didn't make sense to me to keep them.

I'm doing it "right" this time (ie making a completely different set of mistakes)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never …
I’ve thought of closing a setup for awhile but think …. I in too far to quit now .
reefing and had salty aquariums for over 20years .
there is no turning back now

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Dinos caused me to quit for about 8 years. Would literally fill the tank overnight....and I mean FILL. Killed everything so I just stopped doing anything out of disgust and let the water evaporate. Back then the way to "beat" them was zero phos & nitrates. More GFO & more water changes. They loooved me. lol

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this thread as I'm already thinking about it after just 7 months or so in.
I hate how I can't tell why corals act up, or why my chaeto is dying. It's more frustrating than rewarding most of the time.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about if after my 75 flooded my 2nd then 1st floor and I lost everything but instead I used it as an chance to upgrade and upsize my set up. This is alot more than any old hobby its a passion and as long as I'm kicking I'll keep reefing.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back