Have you ever cut a piece of live rock?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... so I have a big piece of live rock, too big for the planned display. So I want to cut it into smaller pieces so that I can use it in the intended display.

Have you ever cut a piece of live rock? What type of saw/blade did you use?

Thanks,
Dom

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bandsaw, like a gryphon xl or inland

(if the piece is larger, you’ll have to chisel 1st)

Yeah, I thought of that. But I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet dry tile saw has worked for me when I want clean smooth cuts. If I don’t want clean and smooth I use a drill with a concrete bit. Drill through in strategic places to create a perforation, then smack it with a hammer. Boom new rock(s).

Yes, I want smooth, clean cuts to make it stackable against the back of the tank.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I want smooth, clean cuts to make it stackable against the back of the tank.
Go to Lowe’s and rent a big wet dry tile saw. Remember, a 12inch blade will only cut about 5 1/2 inches deep. So if you have to or want to bet the biggest one you can. You may have to rotate your piece and make a cut from the back depending on how big the rocks that you are cutting happen to be.

If it’s really porous rock, go slow it will send chunks flying. Wear a face shield, sleeves and gloves; not goggles

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Lowe’s and rent a big wet dry tile saw. Remember, a 12inch blade will only cut about 5 1/2 inches deep. So if you have to or want to bet the biggest one you can. You may have to rotate your piece and make a cut from the back depending on how big the rocks that you are cutting happen to be.

If it’s really porous rock, go slow it will send chunks flying. Wear a face shield, sleeves and gloves; not goggles
I agree with all of this re a tile saw. Also, do it outside in a place you can easily hose down afterwards. It's super easy to use this saw, but it makes a big mess.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely even a hammer and chisel sends little chunks flying. Definitely want face shield long sleeves and gloves. Well vented area that’s easy to clean

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210524_062118.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back