Have you ever done anything that made your algae more edible / taste better?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us have herbivores in our systems that help keep the nuisance algae at bay ... with varying degrees of success. But sometimes it seems like the same algae grazers will devour one person's GHA but not touch another's. Usually we just say "bad, luck! you must have a very picky fish/snail/urchin." But what if the herbivore's picky palate isn't always to blame?
There are a few instances I've read where people made a change and the herbivores suddenly got much more interested in eating the algae, like accounts of dipping a rock in H2O2 made herbivores go wild for the damaged algae. Over some periods in my tank, my herbivores have been very active, and other times not really. As wild speculation, I wonder if either the nutrients that I've been running lately (0.1 PO4, hard zero NO3, low water changes, no trace additions) or my sometimes usage of algaefix has made my hair algae to be very un-tasty lately. Makes me wonder if I can spice it up a little :p

Anyway, my current system not really the point - tell me about anything you did in your tank that you think made your herbivores suddenly like your algae a lot more.... or a lot less.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone who has dosed peroxide in an algae system noted its palatability increased for fish tenfold/interesting/cell lysis must smell good

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that doesnt mean we should dose it/I rarely advocate adding into the tank water but it will 100% kick fish and cuc into gear nearly always after some initial weakening of plant matrix that's for sure. we noticed that on year 2 ish of the peroxide trending = 2011 ish.

Upvote 0

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above sounds great. Snails & crabs might not agree. I've found that anything the reduces the length of the algae make them want to eat what is left. Sea Hares are the only things I've found that will eat long strands of algae.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sauté it in a little garlic and butter
I have wondered what would happen if you scalded algae with spot treatment of hot water. Do herbivores like cooked veggies?

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back