Have you treated a Sailfin Tang with cupramine?

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I hear from anyone who has completed this successfully? I’m about to prophylactically treat my Desjardini Sailfin Tang with cupramine.

Did anyone else slowly dose cupramine over 5 days or so, and despite having 0 ammonia and nitrite still have a bad outcome? I ask because I see lots of failure stories online.

Thank you for your replies, kindly appreciated. (Yes I know about TTM and Hyposalinity :) )

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all we use for Qt at out maintenance shop, been very successful with it on all species. Safe to use.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! Was the Sailfin Tang able to tolerate 30 days? And how slowly did you’re raise the [Cu+]?

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! Was the Sailfin Tang able to tolerate 30 days? And how slowly did you’re raise the [Cu+]?
If you have an infection it’s better to just get straight to therapeutic levels right out of the gate, if no infections you could jump up over 2-3 days.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No infection, so I’ll go for the few days approach then.

No copper powder here unfortunately. I just doubled checked with all the stores and online, only the cupramine. Why do you ask?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No infection, so I’ll go for the few days approach then.

No copper powder here unfortunately. I just doubled checked with all the stores and online, only the cupramine. Why do you ask?

Not copper powder.

Copper Power Blue. Made by Endich.
It is a chelated form of copper that seems to be much less harsh than ionic copper (cupramine)

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people like copper power some like cupramine. I've used them both at the store with all kinds of fish, sailfins included.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck with that product either.

Thank you Jaime that’s good to hear. Ok just checked the tang is eating everything now. I’ve got an ammonia alert.

Guys, if my ammonia stays 0 throughout the cupramine can I get away without doing a water change then?? What do you reccomend?

My tank was fully cycled with a dead shrimp before I started and I used seeded CERAMIC NOODLES from tiny DT as a biofilter in the canister filter. Are these ok with cupramine?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to go four weeks without a water change ... but be ready to perform one if you find you need to. Add copper to the water you're replacing, _before_ adding the water to the tank, so that the copper never goes below therapeutic levels.

I generally find that I've got to run at least one W/C during the course of a QT run.

~Bruce

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice! I’ve got my water change water ready. I’ve just had a few hiccups trying to keep things clean. And I accidentally used copper in a bucket I use for my DT water change so I had to go buy new buckets haha...

And ok thanks for the copper advice that makes sense :) yeah actually this Tang is eating well so I might do a WC at halfway to remove some debris too.

Copper is at 0.43. Tang is eating. I might leave it here, worried if I go to 0.5 I might overstress it. Just gotta keep testing daily to ensure it doesn’t drop.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an ammonia badge by seachem and use BioSpira and some sort of “sponge” media (that does not absorb copper) for your tank. This will help with ammonia significantly :)

I’ve used cupramine on several zebrasoma tangs without issue, but do agree that copper power is my product of choice.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using mostly SeaChem matrix which doesn’t absorb copper (according to SeaChem customer support who says its inert), and half a cup of noodles which I think may absorb some copper ( and explains why I’ve dosed enough for 0.5mg/L but I’m only at 0.43...). Since it’s all cycled and treating I won’t remove the noodles but I will for future quarantines. And may also add a sponge too.

Oh and yes I’m using the badge! It’s really handy

And thank you that’s good to hear :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back