Have you upgraded to a larger tank purely to get more cabinet/sump space?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can go DYI, but if you go Red Sea or Waterbox, there's no way around it. You need to buy a larger tank to have more cabinet/sump space.

I've DYI'd my first tank, a 50G, the result wasn't bad at all. My dad is a mechanical engineer with his own workshop, and he helped a lot. But after 2 yrs, for my living room I want something with a professional finish.

I've been happy with my 50G size-wise, but the cabinet feels really cramped, and this in turn has made skip maintenance tasks.
That's how I've ended up ordering a waterbox Frag 145.5. I've literarily ordered the largest tank my floor can handle weight-wise. And not because I wanted a bigger tank, I just wanted a professionally built aquarium with a much larger cabinet than my 50G.

Anyone else bought a larger tank just to have more usable cabinet/sump space?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. But - my philosophy is a sump functions mainly to increase the volume of tank water (increased stability) as compared to the ability to add more 'stuff'

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. But - my philosophy is a sump functions mainly to increase the volume of tank water (increased stability) as compared to the ability to add more 'stuff'
Why not just get a bigger stand made if you’re happy with the tank? Maybe a 80/20 stand double the size of tank to give room on both sides of tank?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just purchased a planet aquariums steel stand to get that under tank height ive wanted. I have a 48” sump under my 180 and I sill feel like its not enough space…

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know you can go DYI, but if you go Red Sea or Waterbox, there's no way around it. You need to buy a larger tank to have more cabinet/sump space.

I've DYI'd my first tank, a 50G, the result wasn't bad at all. My dad is a mechanical engineer with his own workshop, and he helped a lot. But after 2 yrs, for my living room I want something with a professional finish.

I've been happy with my 50G size-wise, but the cabinet feels really cramped, and this in turn has made skip maintenance tasks.
That's how I've ended up ordering a waterbox Frag 145.5. I've literarily ordered the largest tank my floor can handle weight-wise. And not because I wanted a bigger tank, I just wanted a professionally built aquarium with a much larger cabinet than my 50G.

Anyone else bought a larger tank just to have more usable cabinet/sump space?
You can get a bigger red-sea stand/sump and put your old tank on it?

Edit - To better answer your question - I've never bought a bigger tank to get a bigger sump - the main reason - is that they all tend to be proportional (i.e. the bigger the tank - the more stuff - and the better the stuff you will need). If I were you - I'd reconsider - if you don't want a bigger tank - don't get a bigger tank. Get/Buy/Build the cabinet with the cabinet designed the way you want - i.e. with the sump space and equipment space you want. A bigger tank will not solve (necessarily) your issue.

Last edited:
Back