Haven’t done a water change in one year

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I got incredibly lazy and have not done a water change in about a year my question is after 5 years is the tank “running itself”? Ammonia 0 nitrate 5 nitrite 0 ph 8.0 salinity 1.025 alkalinity 9.6 calcium 430 magnesium 1300 phosphate 0 are these acceptable levels for a mixed reef tank? My lfs says to keep doing what I’m doing but I’m literally not doing much ...just wondering what the pros think about this?! 72 gallon socks changed monthly filters washed out here and there skimmer is running most of the time ...ty all!

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers are great, if everything is happy and healthy stick with it. Personally I think my only concern would be trace elements if anything is weird in the future. Honestly curious what a triton test would show. What kind of corals and stuff do you have going?

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked to be honest ....I have a bunch of lps corals 3 scolys few mushrooms a hammer coral 2 montis that are spreading like wildfire zoa colony that I hate and was told they’re poisonous A plate coral and a Duncan colony along with 6 clownfish a blue star wrasse flame angel goby and a bunch of snails and hermit crabs ....the only thing is when I look at these insane tanks on Instagram my water is nothing like that it’s not crystal clear but it’s also not dirty but I’m getting my uv bulb back today after a year of not using it

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked to be honest ....I have a bunch of lps corals 3 scolys few mushrooms a hammer coral 2 montis that are spreading like wildfire zoa colony that I hate and was told they’re poisonous A plate coral and a Duncan colony along with 6 clownfish a blue star wrasse flame angel goby and a bunch of snails and hermit crabs ....the only thing is when I look at these insane tanks on Instagram my water is nothing like that it’s not crystal clear but it’s also not dirty but I’m getting my uv bulb back today after a year of not using it
Nice! You should share some pictures :) I think its probably normal for year old water to have a bit of extra color lol but who knows, could try some carbon if you havent already?

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing CA and alk? Mg? You have to be to keep those levels right?
I’m not dosing anything that’s why I was like this can’t be right ....then again I cannot keep certain corals such as sps except the montipora or anemone since they just slowly fade away

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly 4 years without any regular WC

1622307863842.png

Additives after result from ICP tests

Sincerelyn Lasse

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone through many periods of this over a few decades. Only problem is the false sense of security. When things slide they do so rapidly. Also it depends on age of dsb. When mine was new I could go a few years. When it's older you loose all your capacity

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have learned is that chasing numbers is a fool's errand. While they may help diagnose an issue, the true test is listening to the patient. Is the color good, the inhabitants healthy? Regular check ups, don't put it on a bad diet ... pay attention.
It's no different than our bodies. Take care of it so it will take care of you.

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here’s a picture kinda crappy my Camara blows it’s nothing like your guys tank on here but it makes me chill out

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here’s a picture kinda crappy my Camara blows it’s nothing like your guys tank on here but it makes me chill out but I plan to try and make it way nicer doing reefapoolza in ny!
My hammer got hurt in a crazy rock slide that was my fault so he’s not happy atm

Back