Haven’t seen my diamond goby for about 48 hours should I worry?

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my diamond goby in my tank for about 2.5 weeks. He has always been out and about or behind rock work and would come out when i fed my tank. He’s been MIA the last 48 hours. I know they make caves but I cant seem to find his anywhere. He also didn’t make a cave yet that I’ve Seen, he was always swimming around or behind a rock.
should I worry? Any advice on how to find him so I can target feed if he is in a cave He made?

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my diamond goby in my tank for about 2.5 weeks. He has always been out and about or behind rock work and would come out when i fed my tank. He’s been MIA the last 48 hours. I know they make caves but I cant seem to find his anywhere. He also didn’t make a cave yet that I’ve Seen, he was always swimming around or behind a rock.
should I worry? Any advice on how to find him so I can target feed if he is in a cave He made?

Have any of your other fish been bullying him lately? I had one in my old tank that would stay hidden because of that. Once I got rid of the troublemaker he would be out a lot more. At the very least you should able to see em pop his head out from a cave from time to time.

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby as well. Yes they love to make caves and mine has restructured my sand bed as well. I went 4 days without seeing mine. I am sure yours is ok.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of your other fish been bullying him lately? I had one in my old tank that would stay hidden because of that. Once I got rid of the troublemaker he would be out a lot more. At the very least you should able to see em pop his head out from a cave from time to time.
He’s only 1 of 4 fish so far. All peaceful fish. Pj cardinal fairy wrasse flame tail blenny and him. Tho I do have 2 peppermint shrimp and one is a lil aggressive it seems.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry. Mine hid off and on in the beginning. Also just because you don’t see his cave doesn’t mean he doesn’t have one. Most will “close” the entrance once inside. So if he dug it at night and went inside you may not even notice.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked around the outside of the tank to see if it went carpet surfing?

Is it in your filtration/sump?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is more than likely just hiding good. Mine will from time to time. Also in regards to the cave thing, I know where mine is but sometimes he will bury the entrance and I've watched him dive straight through the sand and into his cave. So he could possibly just have it blocked and your not seeing it.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is more than likely just hiding good. Mine will from time to time. Also in regards to the cave thing, I know where mine is but sometimes he will bury the entrance and I've watched him dive straight through the sand and into his cave. So he could possibly just have it blocked and your not seeing it.
So it’s not uncommon for him to hide for 7 days straight and not come out during feeding?

dillan2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t sweat it mine regularly disappears for a week or more at a time. Seems to find a nice spot he likes to dig way in the back.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond has hid for days as well, he's really active like a helicopter now. My original goby, well I won't see him for days on end

20200807_171523.jpg 20200807_171507.jpg

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s not uncommon for him to hide for 7 days straight and not come out during feeding?
He is more than likely eating, just not from direct feedings. That's why they soft the sand so much is they are eating the micro fauna in the sand bed and food that gets trapped. I would try to keep a look out for him though if you don't see him at all in the next week

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is more than likely eating, just not from direct feedings. That's why they soft the sand so much is they are eating the micro fauna in the sand bed and food that gets trapped. I would try to keep a look out for him though if you don't see him at all in the next week
I haven’t noticed any sand sifting since he’s gone mia either

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Notorious hiders they are

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back