Haven’t seen my diamond goby for about 48 hours should I worry?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding for days or weeks is not at all uncommon, especially for a tank newbie. Once he gets comfortable he'll start excavating your sand and show up. In the meantime do a thorough carpet check just to be sure. If he's not carpet surfing he's busy re-designing your tank bed with AutoCAD and sending out bid requests to contractors.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding for days or weeks is not at all uncommon, especially for a tank newbie. Once he gets comfortable he'll start excavating your sand and show up. In the meantime do a thorough carpet check just to be sure. If he's not carpet surfing he's busy re-designing your tank bed with AutoCAD and sending out bid requests to contractors.
Have a lid. Also hardwood floors so if he would have escaped he woulda been confirmed casualty by now.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re a cryptic fish. They live in burrows and dig a lot. If you have a lid and it’s only been a day or two, my money is on he’s hiding. Like others have said, they’re notorious for it. And he’s a new addition. Give him time. Imagine being in his shoes, you’d probably be a bit skittish at first too lol!

as a wiser member than I had said: the most expensive thing in this hobby is impatience. This isn’t a case of money persay. But there’s another saying I’ve had to take to heart: nothing good in this hobby happens fast. Give your goby some time. Keep an eye out. But yeah, there’s a guy on here named Paul. He has a lot of fish like yours, has an incredible tank, and doesn’t see them for weeks or months at a time only to see them pop up again. Others report the same with gobies like yours. If you don’t have cats, have a good tank cover, and feed enough that he could get food when you’re not looking? Give it some time

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby goes missing for a week at a time sometimes. He still eats; just scavenges after I walk away from the tank.

Hope yours turns up!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back