Having a frag tank in the sump

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I'm taking a stab at keeping a nice display tank AND also having a dedicated frag section in the sump. Actually there are two of them in there - one for acropora and one for monti/lower light.

So far it has been going ok, but I'm starting to get algae outbreaks in those sections that I never get in the main tank. Since water chemistry is the same, the only explanation is less of a clean up crew. Any recommendation on what can be done about it? Also, if you were to introduce a tang in there - which would go for most type of algae. The no name guy I have there does not want to touch ulva.

Let me know as I'd like to optimize it as much as possible.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm....I'd go for snails actually instead of a tang. I didn't watch the video, but the tank looks kind of small for a tang really....

What type of algae outbreaks are you fighting? If it's macroalgae like ulva, most snails will chow on it too. And they'll also eat the film algaes (but not cyanobacteria). I think Tidal Gardens had a good video on why they use snails for cleaning their frags, it had something to do with the snails being incredibly meticulous and eating straight to the coral edge?

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm....I'd go for snails actually instead of a tang. I didn't watch the video, but the tank looks kind of small for a tang really....

What type of algae outbreaks are you fighting? If it's macroalgae like ulva, most snails will chow on it too. And they'll also eat the film algaes (but not cyanobacteria). I think Tidal Gardens had a good video on why they use snails for cleaning their frags, it had something to do with the snails being incredibly meticulous and eating straight to the coral edge?

Thanks, great feedback. I find that small tangs do fine in these tanks until they get moved to something bigger. Snails - great idea, but they seem to move corals around when the quarters are tight.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back