Hawaii aquarium fish update: renewed request for a ban

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawaiian ornamental fishery saga continues as we have just watched a State of Hawaii public hearing once again calling for a total ban on aquarium fish collection, just as we thought we might be getting our beloved Yellow Tangs and friends back, so what’s happened? Here’s the story so far: In January 2021 a…
Source

Continue reading...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Hawaiian ornamental fishery saga continues as we have just watched a State of Hawaii public hearing once again calling for a total ban on aquarium fish collection, just as we thought we might be getting our beloved Yellow Tangs and friends back, so what’s happened? Here’s the story so far: In January 2021 a…
Source

Continue reading...
Thank you for update and Not good news

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good news at all. Working at the LFS I get asked frequently when we are getting Hawaii fishes back in after everyone saw the last headlines in regards to the ban being lifted.

I do hope to see Hawaii fish back in our tanks in the near future.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm truly curious...what peer reviewed research has been conducted and published regarding the sustainability or unsustainability of Hawaiian collection (namely yellow tangs since they seem to be the most sought after)? The article failed to cite the source of the 30 years of research provided to support the sustainability although I have seen studies citing the unsustainability. I'm not on either side here since i have no dog in the race. Plenty of yellow tangs in Indonesia btw. I'm really just curious as to whether the hobbyists are truly putting the environmental impact first or not. Again, I'm not on either side at this point so don't blast me with your emotions regardless of which side you're on.

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where is the factual evidence that collecting yellow tangs from Hawaii is better than from Indo? Also what about any evidence for the sustainability. I am trying to remain as unbiased as possible, and am not trying to get into any debates with anyone, I am just curious on this fact and would like to learn more. I would like to add that I do not own a yellow tang, and I never have.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the factual evidence that collecting yellow tangs from Hawaii is better than from Indo? Also what about any evidence for the sustainability. I am trying to remain as unbiased as possible, and am not trying to get into any debates with anyone, I am just curious on this fact and would like to learn more. I would like to add that I do not own a yellow tang, and I never have.
I don't think anyone has made the case that it's better or worse (but if collection is negative in one place shouldn't something be done about it regardless of other places?). Here's an article regarding the sustainability of collection in Hawaii...

Attachments

• Effects_of_Aquarium_Collectors_on_Coral_Reef_Fishe.pdf
    330.2 KB · Views: 37

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm truly curious...what peer reviewed research has been conducted and published regarding the sustainability or unsustainability of Hawaiian collection (namely yellow tangs since they seem to be the most sought after)? The article failed to cite the source of the 30 years of research provided to support the sustainability although I have seen studies citing the unsustainability. I'm not on either side here since i have no dog in the race. Plenty of yellow tangs in Indonesia btw. I'm really just curious as to whether the hobbyists are truly putting the environmental impact first or not. Again, I'm not on either side at this point so don't blast me with your emotions regardless of which side you're on.
The Hawaii aquarium fishery is the most studied fishery of its type in the entire world. It’s the most managed and studied fishery in the state of Hawaii amongst all commercial fisheries found there. As far as references go I can point you in the right direction. Take a look at the following:
1.the 2400 page HEPA document that was accepted recently by the BLNR which includes all the science from DAR/DLNR and coral reef ecologists such as Brian Tissot
2 the five year report to the Hawaii Legislature per Act 306 in 1999 which set up the west Hawaii regional fishery management area. This comprehensive report is submitted every five years so there’s several of them. In these reports you can find the long term population trends in open and closed areas with active fishing taking place. It’s all there
3 just Google Dr. William Walsh Kona DAR. He has done thousands of transects and hundreds of studies on this fishery

All of the premiere fishery scientists and coral reef ecologists from Dr.William Walsh from Kona DAR to Randy Kosaki from the NW Hawaiian islands management area to Richard Pyle from the Bishop museum support this well managed fishery based on the simple facts that the management plan and long term studies prove that the fish populations continue to trend upwards over the last 23 years. Yellow tang for example is the number one caught fish by a wide margin making up 92% of the fishery and its population has increased over 100%. There are literally millions and millions of yellow tangs just on the west coast of the big island. The second most collected fish is the kole tang and again the take is very small compared to the overall population which has also doubled...there’s millions. It’s actually laughable that there are even so called credible people saying otherwise because the data is clear, it’s sustainable.

sorry I can’t dig all the links up for you because I’m busy but it’s all public record and I would guess that reef builders and other people saying the same thing are basing their commentary off all the stuff I mentioned. Have a nice one

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawaii aquarium fishery is the most studied fishery of its type in the entire world. It’s the most managed and studied fishery in the state of Hawaii amongst all commercial fisheries found there. As far as references go I can point you in the right direction. Take a look at the following:
1.the 2400 page HEPA document that was accepted recently by the BLNR which includes all the science from DAR/DLNR and coral reef ecologists such as Brian Tissot
2 the five year report to the Hawaii Legislature per Act 306 in 1999 which set up the west Hawaii regional fishery management area. This comprehensive report is submitted every five years so there’s several of them. In these reports you can find the long term population trends in open and closed areas with active fishing taking place. It’s all there
3 just Google Dr. William Walsh Kona DAR. He has done thousands of transects and hundreds of studies on this fishery

All of the premiere fishery scientists and coral reef ecologists from Dr.William Walsh from Kona DAR to Randy Kosaki from the NW Hawaiian islands management area to Richard Pyle from the Bishop museum support this well managed fishery based on the simple facts that the management plan and long term studies prove that the fish populations continue to trend upwards over the last 23 years. Yellow tang for example is the number one caught fish by a wide margin making up 92% of the fishery and its population has increased over 100%. There are literally millions and millions of yellow tangs just on the west coast of the big island. The second most collected fish is the kole tang and again the take is very small compared to the overall population which has also doubled...there’s millions. It’s actually laughable that there are even so called credible people saying otherwise because the data is clear, it’s sustainable.

sorry I can’t dig all the links up for you because I’m busy but it’s all public record and I would guess that reef builders and other people saying the same thing are basing their commentary off all the stuff I mentioned. Have a nice one
Hey, thanks for pointing out the supporting research for me! I actually did read through some of the research by Dr. William Walsh...very thorough and comprehensive to say the least. From what I gathered, although in certain areas open to fishing there was lower fish density, that shouldn't be an issue as the nearby protected areas act as a "bulwark against overexploitation" and help to ensure long term sustainability. Appreciate it!

This really does make me wonder why the ruling went the way it did though...I mean isn't it in the best interest of the state to support this industry? I'm gonna try to did into the case a little deeper when I have the time since i do like to hear both sides of the story (although I'm well aware there are certain groups out there that are simply unreasonable). However, I'd be very interested in maybe finding out the logic behind the decision. Maybe there's something they foresee occurring in the future that could possibly lead to a dramatic change in the ecosystem due to climate change or something like that... I'd be interested in knowing so I'll see what I can dig up.

I guess at least it seems to have spurred an increased interest in CB fish and I'd imagine led to advancements in the industry to meet the demand created after the ban.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for pointing out the supporting research for me! I actually did read through some of the research by Dr. William Walsh...very thorough and comprehensive to say the least. From what I gathered, although in certain areas open to fishing there was lower fish density, that shouldn't be an issue as the nearby protected areas act as a "bulwark against overexploitation" and help to ensure long term sustainability. Appreciate it!

This really does make me wonder why the ruling went the way it did though...I mean isn't it in the best interest of the state to support this industry? I'm gonna try to did into the case a little deeper when I have the time since i do like to hear both sides of the story (although I'm well aware there are certain groups out there that are simply unreasonable). However, I'd be very interested in maybe finding out the logic behind the decision. Maybe there's something they foresee occurring in the future that could possibly lead to a dramatic change in the ecosystem due to climate change or something like that... I'd be interested in knowing so I'll see what I can dig up.

I guess at least it seems to have spurred an increased interest in CB fish and I'd imagine led to advancements in the industry to meet the demand created after the ban.
The ruling? We haven’t been ruled against. We’ve won. Our environmental review was accepted and was upheld in the court of law. The opposition who sued to initiate the process isn’t happy with end result so they’re now trying to ban us in the legislature in bad faith. The bill that was written by them is nothing but a pack of lies with zero scientific evidence, data, research, scientific support....nothing. Just claims that are unsubstantiated and easily disprovable. They’re now claiming that the reef fish we are catching face extinction. The fish we catch are not even considered threatened and in fact the population is thriving and experiencing massive growth. 100% certifiable LIES.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re now claiming that the reef fish we are catching face extinction.

Definitely laughable as people eat them there... tons of vides on YouTube of tangs everywhere... spear gunning them and grilling them up... yum!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is you don’t even need science to figure out that yellow tangs are not going extinct. Commons sense and a dive mask will solve that issue
Most people involved in making laws have neither.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one respect the democratic and legal process of the peoples of Hawaii, its their decision and their decision alone.

Hi @Tamberav , I respect your position, however, when comparing the harvest of natural food source for consumption by indigenous population (something that is ingrained in their culture) is in my opinion not directly comparable with taking their animals and shipping them around the world for the aquarium industry.

Society, the law and democracy is about far more than just science.

I would like to add, that I feel great empathy for those indigenous fishers who made a living through the collection trade. I hope they can find alternative economic subsistence using the skills in an alternative to supplying the aquarium industry.

As a open source of the democratic process and for individuals to have an informed view , I have linked here the relevant information. Also attached is the original draft EIS (Environmental Impact Statement that was rejected and amended. The main body of data is still relevant.

The proceedings and arguments for and against the proposed ban 505 included as an attachment at the end of this post. Please follow the links below.

Please take the time to watch and read if you would like a more informed view.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessions/session2023/Testimony/SB505_TESTIMONY_AEN-WTL_01-30-23_.PDF

Testimony was also allowed to be heard live at the public meeting of the committee, including video link testimony. This is the first hearing available on the website or here on YouTube.

Dated 30 Jan 2023. 505 is discussed between these time points on the video 45:28 seconds to 1:43:08 seconds.

www.youtube.com

AEN-WTL, AEN Public Hearings 01-30-2023 1:00pm

Hearing Notices:AEN-WTL 1:00PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2023/hearingnotices/HEARING_AEN-WTL_01-30-23_.pdfAEN 2:00PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/s...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

There was problems with submitting testimony by some users due to a technical error with the web portal. However at this meeting it is proposed to delay for further submissions. this was discussed on meeting 3rd Feb 2023 video section 1:20:14 and 1:20:57

www.youtube.com

AEN-WTL, AEN, AEN DEFER, AEN-WTL DEFER Public Hearings 02-03-2023 1:00pm

Hearing Notices:AEN-WTL 1:00 PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2023/hearingnotices/HEARING_AEN-WTL_02-03-23_.PDFAEN 1:30 PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

The next meeting will be on YouTube on 10th Fed 2023. Link is here if you would like a notification when it begins.

www.youtube.com

AEN-WTL, AEN DEFER Public Hearings 02-10-2023 1:00pm

Hearing Notices:AEN-WTL 1:00 PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2023/hearingnotices/HEARING_AEN-WTL_02-10-23-1_.PDFAEN-WTL 2:00 PMhttp://www.capitol.hawa...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

Attachments

• SB505_.pdf
    976.1 KB · Views: 17

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one respect the democratic and legal process of the peoples of Hawaii, its their decision and their decision alone.

Hi @Tamberav , I respect your position, however, when comparing the harvest of natural food source for consumption by indigenous population (something that is ingrained in their culture) is in my opinion not directly comparable with taking their animals and shipping them around the world for the aquarium industry.

Society, the law and democracy is about far more than just science.

I would like to add, that I feel great empathy for those indigenous fishers who made a living through the collection trade. I hope they can find alternative economic subsistence using the skills in an alternative to supplying the aquarium industry.

As a open source of the democratic process and for individuals to have an informed view , I have linked here the relevant information. Also attached is the original draft EIS (Environmental Impact Statement that was rejected and amended. The main body of data is still relevant.

The proceedings and arguments for and against the proposed ban 505 included as an attachment at the end of this post. Please follow the links below.

Please take the time to watch and read if you would like a more informed view.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessions/session2023/Testimony/SB505_TESTIMONY_AEN-WTL_01-30-23_.PDF

Testimony was also allowed to be heard live at the public meeting of the committee, including video link testimony. This is the first hearing available on the website or here on YouTube.

Dated 30 Jan 2023. 505 is discussed between these time points on the video 45:28 seconds to 1:43:08 seconds.

www.youtube.com

AEN-WTL, AEN Public Hearings 01-30-2023 1:00pm

Hearing Notices:AEN-WTL 1:00PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2023/hearingnotices/HEARING_AEN-WTL_01-30-23_.pdfAEN 2:00PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/s...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

There was problems with submitting testimony by some users due to a technical error with the web portal. However at this meeting it is proposed to delay for further submissions. this was discussed on meeting 3rd Feb 2023 video section 1:20:14 and 1:20:57

www.youtube.com

AEN-WTL, AEN, AEN DEFER, AEN-WTL DEFER Public Hearings 02-03-2023 1:00pm

Hearing Notices:AEN-WTL 1:00 PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2023/hearingnotices/HEARING_AEN-WTL_02-03-23_.PDFAEN 1:30 PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

The next meeting will be on YouTube on 10th Fed 2023. Link is here if you would like a notification when it begins.

www.youtube.com

AEN-WTL, AEN DEFER Public Hearings 02-10-2023 1:00pm

Hearing Notices:AEN-WTL 1:00 PMhttp://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2023/hearingnotices/HEARING_AEN-WTL_02-10-23-1_.PDFAEN-WTL 2:00 PMhttp://www.capitol.hawa...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

Hello, I agree that food consumption is not the same. I was merely pointing out that there are lies being said that these fish are in danger of going extinct. I was not trying to compare food to a hobby.

If people of Hawaii do not want it open. That is fine but I find it irritating that some groups outright lie to try and get their way. I have no respect for liars.

Last edited:

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I agree that food consumption is not the same. I was merely pointing out that there are lies being said that these fish are in danger of going extinct. I was not trying to compare food to a hobby.

If people of Hawaii do not want it open. That is fine but I find it irritating that some groups outright lie to try and get their way. I have no respect for liars.

Lobbying groups, with their public relations and marketing strategies tend to use selective or often unfounded statements in an attempt to support the interests of the clients or agendas they represent.

However I believe it very important to make the effort and the time to listen to the much broader debate, including personal rather than corporate interests.

Individuals of the local community , also in this case the wider community and industry. Have been given the chance to put forward there testimony and also if needed, challenge any stated inaccuracies that may have an effect in others perceptions.

That is democracy.

If I where to address in this post the topic topic of, 'lies' or misrepresentations of the facts. In balance I would be inclined to include my personal experience of the Ornamental aquatic industry (trade). As both a former LFS owner and as an active hobbyist I have been appalled by some of its rhetoric.

Nice to communicate with you on this forum @Tamberav . I am much more used to enjoying social content with yourself on the other forum Humble.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 52.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 69 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back