Hawaiian Flame wrasse finally transitions to a male!

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had this wrasse a couple years now and was worried that he wasn’t actually a flame wrasse (he looked just like a pink margin fairy wrasse for a while), but last week or two he finally transitioned to a male coloration.

Here’s how he looked for the longest:

Here he is now:

I am super stoked as with the Hawaii ban I figured I would never again have a chance to acquire one....

Darren

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Wish I could find another, the males can put on quite the show! My old male would do it every night around dusk.

Congrats.

OP
OP
L

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Wish I could find another, the males can put on quite the show! My old male would do it every night around dusk.

Congrats.

Mine does the same thing....he freaks out at dusk and flashes like crazy, but only after he transitioned to a male. He develops white all along his body....wrasses are such cool fish!

Darren

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same thing....he freaks out at dusk and flashes like crazy, but only after he transitioned to a male. He develops white all along his body....wrasses are such cool fish!

Darren

I bought mine as a male so I'm not familiar with the females behavior. With mine, you would've swore it was a flasher though. That display is something else!

I think I got mine for around $100 back in
2010 ish. I wish I could find another for a reasonable price but with the Hawaiian shutdown that seems unlikely. Seems the price for a rhomboid has come down considerably though so I may try one of those this go round.

Best of luck with him!

OP
OP
L

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of him flashing, he only does this during twilight so I can’t get a good pic of him.....

Darren

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back