Hawaiin build

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i am planning a Hawaiin 125g mixed reef aquarium. I want to know if my stock list is ok, like if the fish will kill eachother. Also what other fish would be nice in this tank? I would prefer if they are from Hawaii. Also i know some of the fish on my list eat inverts, so i wont have a CUC. is it ok if i dont have a CUC? if not, is there a algae grazer good for my aquarium?

Stock list for the first few months:
1 rectangle humu trigger fish
2 sergeant major damsel fish
1 yellow tang - also where could i buy one online cheap? If you live in the seattle area, do you know any good fish stores that sell yellow tangs? I cannot find any
1 red coris wrasse
1 saddle valentini puffer
1 longnose hawkfish
1 convict tang

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a fish only right? The humu can be very aggressive. Your tank is going to have a very long cycle time to be able to put up with the amount of bio load from most of those fish as they are carnivores. I had a humu and a convict tang in my tank when I was stationed in Hawaii. Puffers will eat any CUC you get so....

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentinis are hit and miss with coral nipping but I’ve never seen one go after inverts. Cool little fellows and worth the gamble if you have a backup home for them in case they don’t work out.

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the humu and the puffer you want are deemed not reef safe but that is because they will eat inverts. So if you are doing a reef tank with these fish and pretty much no CUC, then i'd say you are looking good. Your maintenance work will be quite daunting.

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also highly recommend you add as much live rock as possible to aid in filtration.

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the caribsea life rock, but I have used their live sand pretty extensively over the years. If it is anything like the sand, I'd say it'll do. The rule of thumb is a pound per gallon; however, if you can fit more, I'd do more. Also, this isn't something you have to do right away. I'd start with the 120 lbs, and if you find you have more space add more rock as you add more fish. I have also had a sergeant major damsel, and they can be very aggressive as well when it comes to territory. So I would not recommend adding him first.

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Hawaiian corals you are on your own since it was illegal (presumably still is) to own corals in the state of Hawaii.

mchans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont live in hawaii, i just want a hawaiin style build

I have the same goal. I’ve got a water box 180.5. Here is my stocking list. The Niger Trigger killed three chromis, but everything else has been great. I have a mixed reef with mostly softy and some lps.
  1. Maroon Clown
  2. Green Chromis
  3. Green Chromis
  4. Foxface Rabbitfish
  5. Green Coris Wrasse
  6. Yellow Tang
  7. Diamond Goby
  8. Forktail Blenny
  9. Niger Trigger
  10. Scarus Quoyi
  11. Cleaner Wrasse
  12. Longnose Hawkfish
  13. Flame Angel
  14. Longnose Butterflyfish
  15. Convict Tang
  16. Porcupine Puffer
  17. Red Coris Wrasse
  18. Humu Trigger

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! Which of those besides clowns and the smaller fish of course could live in a 125? Also would you consider the cleaner wrasse to be a difficult fish to care for?

Back