heading down to the florida keys and looking to harvest some marine life, crabs, snails, fish, maybe some flower nems for an aruarium.

Slicknick420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will be heading down in the next few weeks to the florida keys, wanted to harvest fish, crabs, etc. have fishing licenses needed. only problem there is not much info on good spots to find stuff and where you can and cant collect. obviously no collection in sanctuaries or state parks but i cant seem to find any border maps for state parks. if anyone has any info on some spots to collect that would be a blessing ! ill be in key largo area but willing to drive anywhere in the keys and also have a small boat, jetski and kayaks i could bring to get out on the water if needed. anything helps!
thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will be heading down in the next few weeks to the florida keys, wanted to harvest fish, crabs, etc. have fishing licenses needed. only problem there is not much info on good spots to find stuff and where you can and cant collect. obviously no collection in sanctuaries or state parks but i cant seem to find any border maps for state parks. if anyone has any info on some spots to collect that would be a blessing ! ill be in key largo area but willing to drive anywhere in the keys and also have a small boat, jetski and kayaks i could bring to get out on the water if needed. anything helps!
thanks!

Collecting from shore in the keys is difficult. Back in the day, I would just stop at every road pull off I could and look for rocks in the water. The bridge supports for old US-1 have a lot of stuff on them, but with currents, anglers and boats, I don't think it is safe to go to them. If the water is really calm, you might be able to take a small boat out into Hawk channel and snorkel some of the patch reefs. The true reef line is 6 to 7 miles offshore, so don't go out there.

Be careful, there are a lot of regulations governing this activity. Here is a link: https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68B-42

Jay

OP
OP
Slicknick420

Slicknick420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collecting from shore in the keys is difficult. Back in the day, I would just stop at every road pull off I could and look for rocks in the water. The bridge supports for old US-1 have a lot of stuff on them, but with currents, anglers and boats, I don't think it is safe to go to them. If the water is really calm, you might be able to take a small boat out into Hawk channel and snorkel some of the patch reefs. The true reef line is 6 to 7 miles offshore, so don't go out there.

Be careful, there are a lot of regulations governing this activity. Here is a link: https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68B-42

Jay
i appreciate the input! will defiantly be stopping at the pull offs to check around. and yes i been reading up on all the rules and regulations, there is lots of them haha.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is thread where we discuss numerous locations close to shore, off shore and all around things in the keys. It does list other areas for collecting, but you should be able to find some good info on where and what some things are.

As Jay said, follow the rules. My brother works for FWC and they will bury you under the jail for improper collection. About as bad as poaching snook lol.

Also, one thing I have learned over my many years of collecting FL. Look where you think you do not need to look. For example, the Fort Pierce Jetty has numerous patches of zoas that are exposed at low tide. The Jensen beach bridge has a small channel that runs through on the opposite side of the island that has easily accessible shallow flats loaded with macro and inverts. Headed towards Key West, the bridge right after Islamorada and the next one down that crosses the Whale Harbor Channel have some areas where you can flip rocks and collect NPS anemones (Warty nems), tons of snails and hermits (mostly white legs) and if you are quick with a net, some gobies/blennies.

Here is the link to the thread. We have even posted google earth snipets with locations noted.

OP
OP
Slicknick420

Slicknick420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is thread where we discuss numerous locations close to shore, off shore and all around things in the keys. It does list other areas for collecting, but you should be able to find some good info on where and what some things are.

As Jay said, follow the rules. My brother works for FWC and they will bury you under the jail for improper collection. About as bad as poaching snook lol.

Also, one thing I have learned over my many years of collecting FL. Look where you think you do not need to look. For example, the Fort Pierce Jetty has numerous patches of zoas that are exposed at low tide. The Jensen beach bridge has a small channel that runs through on the opposite side of the island that has easily accessible shallow flats loaded with macro and inverts. Headed towards Key West, the bridge right after Islamorada and the next one down that crosses the Whale Harbor Channel have some areas where you can flip rocks and collect NPS anemones (Warty nems), tons of snails and hermits (mostly white legs) and if you are quick with a net, some gobies/blennies.

Here is the link to the thread. We have even posted google earth snipets with locations noted.

thank you ! much appreciated, been doing alot of research of what you can and cannot collect. defiantly dont want to be dealing with fwc on their bad side lol. i completely get it though, if they didnt put these rules into affect our reefs will be gone!

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you ! much appreciated, been doing alot of research of what you can and cannot collect. defiantly dont want to be dealing with fwc on their bad side lol. i completely get it though, if they didnt put these rules into affect our reefs will be gone!
How did this go for you? Right now we are planning a trip down in March, I'd really love to get a rock nem for my home reef!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back