"Healthy fish", my foot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tired Thank you for sending us an email. We have contacted our Coral Farm and Aquatic Life Facility for their suggestions, and we will reply to your email once we have their response.
Am I the only one who reads this post as “we don’t know to properly care for any animals as we are only a middleman so we asked them what to do”

You guys are a joke of a company ever since you were sold off to petco (which I know was since sold off again)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The health and well being of the specimens we ship are our main concern. All fish do go through an extensive quarantine period and the fish does undergo a final health inspection prior to shipping.
I would love to hear about your Extensive quarantine program.

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tired We sincerely apologize that the Brown Clown Goby is not gaining weight. Our Coral Farm and Aquatic Life Facility and our licensed fish veterinarian has reviewed the information provided. We have sent a private email with additional information. Please contact us directly if you need any further assistance.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
zemail 2.png

As I've described, the fish isn't showing any signs of internal parasites, though I can certainly try to check on that. I don't think I can give him any medications, as he isn't eating any sort of prepared food I could soak those medications in.

I'm aware that baby brine shrimp lose their nutrition quickly (though I don't think it's entirely gone within 12 hours), which is why I've been giving him newly hatched ones.

The recommendation for a better diet is interesting. "Live isopods", I've never heard of as a food source, and I wouldn't know where to get any marine ones to feed him. He's not eating the munnid isopods I already have in my tank, anyway. "LIve arthropods" is basically meaningless; that could mean anything from blue crabs, to adult brine shrimp, to butterflies. I'm already giving him live arthropods, in the form of freshly hatched brine shrimp. "Bloodworms" would be a freshwater food source, and one that might be too large for him. I'm going to try to get ahold of a live whiteworm culture, but I can't buy anything live online until probably September, as I live in Texas.

He did gain weight while in quarantine, is the thing. So, evidently, providing him with a significant number of baby brine shrimp works. Which is why I'm doing that now, in an isolation box.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zemail 2.png

As I've described, the fish isn't showing any signs of internal parasites, though I can certainly try to check on that. I don't think I can give him any medications, as he isn't eating any sort of prepared food I could soak those medications in.

I'm aware that baby brine shrimp lose their nutrition quickly (though I don't think it's entirely gone within 12 hours), which is why I've been giving him newly hatched ones.

The recommendation for a better diet is interesting. "Live isopods", I've never heard of as a food source, and I wouldn't know where to get any marine ones to feed him. He's not eating the munnid isopods I already have in my tank, anyway. "LIve arthropods" is basically meaningless; that could mean anything from blue crabs, to adult brine shrimp, to butterflies. I'm already giving him live arthropods, in the form of freshly hatched brine shrimp. "Bloodworms" would be a freshwater food source, and one that might be too large for him. I'm going to try to get ahold of a live whiteworm culture, but I can't buy anything live online until probably September, as I live in Texas.

He did gain weight while in quarantine, is the thing. So, evidently, providing him with a significant number of baby brine shrimp works. Which is why I'm doing that now, in an isolation box.

maybe check and see if anyone on ebay is selling white worms from texas so travel time is short. Maybe they can toss in an ice pack in some insulated bag? I would just message the seller and see what they can do/suggest.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be helpful in the slightest but ive had similar issues with a few different species not eating initially and then when eating not gaining weight.

I have found "lobster eggs" to be fairly invaluable with small fish not eating and gaining weight to a point i keep a huge collection of them ready. Im not 100% on their nutrition but they are claimed to be oily and fatty so tend t be good for getting those fish to gain the weight. Being a very fishy, smelling food ive not had many, if any refuse to eeat them either.

Just thought worth a mention. They are my go to for picky or non weight gaining eaters.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooh, those could be good. Do you get them frozen, canned, or what? I'm going to get more fish in future, so whatever he doesn't eat can go to them. I am gonna have some spoiled clownfish.

Right now, he's able to literally gorge himself on BBS. Every time I look in there, his stomach is as full as it can be.
If anything is going to get some weight back on him, "as many fresh BBS as can physically fit into his entire digestive tract, constantly" should do the trick.

Back