Heart of the Ocean Acropora

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a frag of this from Peng. He said it was amazingly blue, but he undersold it. This makes a Oregon Tort look teal. My curiosity is piqued on this one...

Does anybody have any history on this? Anybody have a piece? Google search turns up a whole lot of not-much.

Here is a picture of my newish piece - forgive the frag plug, it will be gone as soon as I know that I am not going to lose it behind the rocks. I tried as hard as I could to keep this photo accurate - I left some sand in there on the left to show that it is actually white.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's pretty blue, isn't it? Never heard of it, but it's nice.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing jda .. Show us some more of the deepwater beauties you got from Peng !!!
Think you snatched it before I could make a move . Pretty rare stuff !!

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will get some photos when they are more than just nubs. This was the best pack that I have ever gotten and it really make my collection of Loripes and Grannies even better. This finished off all of the room in my tank, except for one place that I am saving for one special coral that I don't have yet.

Just in the last week since I took this photo, the HotO has encrusted a bunch and gotten even more blue. I will see if I can get another photo. The one in Peng's thread is not even as good as it is in person.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will get some photos when they are more than just nubs. This was the best pack that I have ever gotten and it really make my collection of Loripes and Grannies even better. This finished off all of the room in my tank, except for one place that I am saving for one special coral that I don't have yet.

Just in the last week since I took this photo, the HotO has encrusted a bunch and gotten even more blue. I will see if I can get another photo. The one in Peng's thread is not even as good as it is in person.

No one will take a better care for them than you . It's surprising that now a days we run for the so called enigmatic Walt Disney and other rainbow tenuis where such deepwater beauties hardly get any appreciation .
Personally , if I had the money , I would pay for these rare grannies , loripes and lokanis than spending on a rainbow tenuis .

Regards,
Abhishek

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like a solid blue.
Is a fast grower?
Any hints of green or brown?
What color is the entrusting base?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just solid, deep and dark blue. It makes Oregon and Palmer's Mille look pedestrian, which I realize sounds insane. It is one of the first things that people see when they come over and it is not even big yet.

Peng - any idea what species it is?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just solid, deep and dark blue. It makes Oregon and Palmer's Mille look pedestrian, which I realize sounds insane. It is one of the first things that people see when they come over and it is not even big yet.

Peng - any idea what species it is?
Looks like either tenuis or tortuosa to me. Hard to tell. When I get one I'll let you know. :p

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE is fine. I don't have a ton of PE since I have a lot of fish, but it is like any other coral. It has encrusted the plug and grown about 40-50%. I might try and get a shot from the front, but I cannot really get the blue to show. Peng has a better picture than I do in his for sale thread, but it is still not even blue enough.

Why can't I have a named URL on this board?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda - if it's so intense under radium , can't imagine what it will be under reeflux 12k . Reeflux 12k makes an Oregon Tort on fire ..
Guess I should just get this to see how it shows under reeflux

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are under 14k Phoenix (display) - close enough to 20K Radium (frag tank lights). Peng has them under T5. This might just be a good one that does not need Radion All-Blue and then a trip through Photoshop to look good. IMO, the HotO is the real deal that might be around for a long time like OG Purple Monster since it does not need any "tricks" to be outstanding.

It is hard to explain because OBT and Palmers Blue Mille really glow under 14K Phoenix and 20K Radium too. I borrowed the below chart from elsewhere on the web, but if OBT is a glowing version of "cobalt" or "lapis," then HotO is a glowing version of "admiral." The both glow, but HotO is darker.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say it’s a vermiculata. I really don’t know;Hilarious. Its growth is moderate. The Blue is darker if nutrients are not in ULNS range. Polyps are brown on stem and light blue on branches newly grown or lit with higher par. The corallites however are blue top to bottom.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say it’s a vermiculata. I really don’t know;Hilarious. Its growth is moderate. The Blue is darker if nutrients are not in ULNS range. Polyps are brown on stem and light blue on branches newly grown or lit with higher par. The corallites however are blue top to bottom.

I was about to ask if it's similar to Unique Corals Vermiculata in structure . Am guessing from color , it's a little more dense than UC vermiculata

Regards,
Abhishek

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to ask if it's similar to Unique Corals Vermiculata in structure . Am guessing from color , it's a little more dense than UC vermiculata

Regards,
Abhishek

Check out my selling post I have a comparison picture there

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back