OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UC Vermi is not as blue or as dark as the HotO. I am pretty sure that the HotO is a vermi, but I will know more when it more than an inch tall.

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder how it will look under led?
Sure looks nice.
What make PM hard to come by and still in demand is it's slow growth besides the color.
If HotO is a moderate grower then maybe more like a Oregon tort.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder how it will look under led?
Sure looks nice.
What make PM hard to come by and still in demand is it's slow growth besides the color.
If HotO is a moderate grower then maybe more like a Oregon tort.

PM is not an easy acro to keep unlike others that you see in the trade .
Water chemistry needs to be super stable for it to flourish and high light . Not sure leds can handle PM . You need MH or may be T5s

Along with PM , I think Pink Panther too as the Holy Grails of acro keeping .

Regards,
Abhishek

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pic of the OT in your tank for comparison?

I have the OT under my LEDs and it's quite blue throughout so wondering how the OT looks in your tank.

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM is not an easy acro to keep unlike others that you see in the trade .
Water chemistry needs to be super stable for it to flourish and high light . Not sure leds can handle PM . You need MH or may be T5s

Along with PM , I think Pink Panther too as the Holy Grails of acro keeping .

Regards,
Abhishek

Not sure why they wouldn't be able to. I have both the PM as well as the OG Pink Panther under my LEDs.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM dies for lots of folks and beginners cannot usually grow it... another reason that it is still expensive. It is still sought after because the purple is hard to come by when done right and the growth pattern is like nothing else. I think that if you weighed PM, it grows as fast as most others in grams, it just gets thicker and stockier instead of branchier - it is not easy to frag. I have seen PM is LED tanks, but they are fewer and farther between - like it is not impossible if everything else is on the money. Of the 25-30 frags that I have given away or sold, nearly all of the ones under VHO/T5/MH are still going and the LED ones are less than 25% survival... and I don't trade/give/sell to people who don't know what they are doing. There could be some correlation here that the absolute best acropora tanks in my area are still 90% lit by MH and T5/VHO and this could be as much as about the hobbyist as the light. PM does like lots of white light, so that could have something to do with it since even every LED user is different and yet the bluest 20K MH bulbs have plenty of spectrum over 500 in them - this is a shallow water coral. The similar one that Jake Adams brought back is mostly the same way... it is not a 100% clone, but really likes the white light and has a pretty-cool growth pattern and does get quite purple, but Jake Adams one does not have the whiteish polyps like the OG one does. I don't have Pink Panther so I have no idea about that one.

In any case PM is legit without any tricks if you can keep it alive. It does not need all-blues or photoshop to look good. The HotO is going to be the same way.

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PM that survived my tank crash and seem hardy since it's an old school.
Been around 20+ years?
Had my frag over 4-5 years but hardly grew for me. ( I'm just glad its not dead)I may have it in the wrong place since it close to the bottom of the tank.

View attachment Purple monster 7.jpg

Last edited:

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jda
Can you post a pic of HotO next to OT?
Or cali tort?
Yea WD doesn't look great unless it's blasted with a 20k and a few extra UV toss in too...lol
I want a HotO too. Blue my favorite color.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are mounted, sorry.

Peng has a nice shot of the HotO next to the UC Super Blue Vermi if you want to find his for-sale thread.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have both Oregon tort and HotO probably end of next week. I'd be happy to provide a side by side.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peng - how's the growth rate compared to Oregon Tort ? Faster ?
Also , do you place it in around lower PAR of 250 or so along with your prized deepwaters ?

Regards,
Abhishek

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing how that frag grows out. What a beautiful blue!

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tolerant is this coral to "issues"? I've had some corals that die whenever I sneeze and others that just don't seem to care about anything.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, as promised, side by side of Peng's Heart of the Ocean and Oregon Tort. You can definitely tell which one is more blue. :p Also I have to say hats off to @Peng as he is definitely one of the best non vendors I have received coral from. In fact he ships better than some vendors I have bought from. :p

Boom-5335.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here you go, as promised, side by side of Peng's Heart of the Ocean and Oregon Tort. You can definitely tell which one is more blue. :p Also I have to say hats off to @Peng as he is definitely one of the best non vendors I have received coral from. In fact he ships better than some vendors I have bought from. :p

Boom-5335.jpg

wow, I cant imagine how blue that is considering how blue I think my oregon tort is. That is crazy, looks great

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back