• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Heat packs

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you guys buy reliable 40 hour heat packs?
I had a batch where all of them worked but forgot where I got it.
Lately i've been having terrible luck. Got some from amazon and the whole batch doesnt work and got some from lllreptiles and none of them work.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, I just saw that you had issues with them. I may have to test a few before I use them. They do take a while to get up to temperature. I'll test one out right now. Just got them a day or two ago.

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, I just saw that you had issues with them. I may have to test a few before I use them. They do take a while to get up to temperature. I'll test one out right now. Just got them a day or two ago.
Yeah i’d test one. Thank god i only got like 30-40 instead of the bulk one

epleeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I buy from superior shipping. 40 hour packs. Sometimes they take several hours to heat up

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened one up 2.5 hours ago and left it on the countertop and it did not feel hot, but did register 85 with an instant read in a 68 degree house. The 40 hour packs do not get very hot. They are not suppose to. Otherwise they fry what ever is inside the shipper. I'll check in the morning and will report back.

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it wrong. They dont work opened on countertops. In an insulated box, it got hot. I had previously had uniheat 40 hours that got hot even on countertops so was confused.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you guys buy reliable 40 hour heat packs?
I had a batch where all of them worked but forgot where I got it.
Lately i've been having terrible luck. Got some from amazon and the whole batch doesnt work and got some from lllreptiles and none of them work.
If you're new to shipping the best way to do it is 3 stop shop, go to local chain pet store(supply, co or smart) go to reptile aisle they have 72 hour heat packs) go to deli or buy urine sample kits online (cut piece of styrofoam to cup size lid stick frag plug in styrofoam will keep frag from moving or getting inverted or damaged during shipping) buy fish cooler from lfs, bait and tackle store or hardware store(3/4 to 1 in thick to protect from elements) tape up cups nice and tight, double bag ,put heatpack in put newspaper around inside of container line cooler with bubble wrap insert parcel then tape it up super tight find appropriate box (follow up with local commerence and see if you need a liquid perishable live animal specific container, or label under cites or lacey... then you're set you may need labels you can buy the labels or have the buyer purchase the label and mail it to you(not reccomend but was the oldschool way )buyer paid label and box fee) and the seller would handle the shipping aspect after the buyer sent the box and label; some people still do this but may hurt your credibility as a seller(people would complain sometimes so now I do everything)

That's my 2 cents worth everyone has a different method it all in what's simple and the most cost effective for you aswell as what you feel comfortable doing

Last edited:

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uniheat works best or if your a working man and work in a mill or scrapyard or railroad yard you can steal some hand warmers or toe warmers from work and put them under newspaper and tape to lid

Last edited:

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its winter do a practice run get a coral you dont care about something cheap or unhealthy and test your packing skills by leaving the wrapped parcel outside on porch or in garage or out in your car(would be more appropriate replicates Cold trucks) and see if it can survive the conditions with your packing skill(18 to 24 hours)

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get me wrong you'll get a dud here or their but its usually do to them getting beat up(or kids playing with them in stores) or someone was to careful and taped up the package too tight(not enough oxygen to make the carbon magnesium pellets heat up(some people poke holes not reccomended in winter)

Back