Heated and circulated saltwater storage, how long will it last? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Do you heat and circulate your saltwater in storage?

• Yes

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • I will now!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate these investigations. The content is entertaining and informative. One of the major reasons why I purchase from you over others. Thanks!

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy.
One question
I have asked the R2R community, but didn’t get any answers.
Using Reef Crystals, after mixing, aeration, and circulation for 48 hrs, my Alkalinity is 14 dKH @ 1.025. What am I doing wrong? I contacted Instant Ocean, no reply. I’ve added Vinegar to reduce, but why is this salt mixing with such a high Alkalinity. I’m mixing 45 gal, and add salt in 4 stages and mix until salt is dissolved each time.

U

User1

View Badges
Hey Reefers!

We're continuing our investigative tests on saltwater mix and saltwater storage, this time answering what effects heat and circulation have on keeping Alk/Ca parameters stable in your saltwater storage bins!

Good job and thanks for doing this - good info.

Quick question - care to share the coral names below (red arrows)? that are in the tank behind you in the video (I sort of feel like a stalker). I'm not exactly sure what they are but assuming they are close to the same type but of different color? Wanted to add them to my list :)

Thanks - keep up the great work.

upload_2019-5-3_17-32-46.png

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy.
One question
I have asked the R2R community, but didn’t get any answers.
Using Reef Crystals, after mixing, aeration, and circulation for 48 hrs, my Alkalinity is 14 dKH @ 1.025. What am I doing wrong? I contacted Instant Ocean, no reply. I’ve added Vinegar to reduce, but why is this salt mixing with such a high Alkalinity. I’m mixing 45 gal, and add salt in 4 stages and mix until salt is dissolved each time.

I would guess a couple of different reasons this may be happening.
1) Perhaps the test kit or testing procedure is the issue. I'd run the test at least three time (being very meticulous about conducting each test exactly the same) then average the results to see if you end up with the same.
2) Stratification. - It's possible that different components of the salt mix separated from the vibration of shipping, which might possibly equate to pockets of higher Alk in different parts of the bucket. To know for sure you can shake the entire salt bucket/bag to blend evenly then test a new batch of water.
3) Could be poor batch consistency. It may also be possible that the specific batch you received is just higher than other batches. I personally doubt this one, given how far "off" your testing levels are compared to what is typically seen with that salt brand.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job and thanks for doing this - good info.

Quick question - care to share the coral names below (red arrows)? that are in the tank behind you in the video (I sort of feel like a stalker). I'm not exactly sure what they are but assuming they are close to the same type but of different color? Wanted to add them to my list :)

Thanks - keep up the great work.

Thanks!

I believe those are purple and green Nephthea corals. :)

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the testing. Being a new reefer I had grand ideas of mixing up a few weeks worth of saltwater at a time and storing it in 5 gallon jugs. (I have a 45gal tank and only need 5 gallons a week) My LFS kinda stepped on that dream staying you need to heat and mix. As a result I just mixed up 5 gallons at a time. Now I understand more, I may revisit that dream.

One additional question. If you let the water sit for a few weeks Unheated and unstirred, then heat an stir just before use, can you get the same results as if you kept it heated and stirred the whole time?

Thanks
Terry

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One additional question. If you let the water sit for a few weeks Unheated and unstirred, then heat an stir just before use, can you get the same results as if you kept it heated and stirred the whole time?
Thanks Terry

We've had the heated and circulated test shut down (no heat / no circulation) for over 2-weeks now...... My results so far... No Change! ;)

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess a couple of different reasons this may be happening.
1) Perhaps the test kit or testing procedure is the issue. I'd run the test at least three time (being very meticulous about conducting each test exactly the same) then average the results to see if you end up with the same.
2) Stratification. - It's possible that different components of the salt mix separated from the vibration of shipping, which might possibly equate to pockets of higher Alk in different parts of the bucket. To know for sure you can shake the entire salt bucket/bag to blend evenly then test a new batch of water.
3) Could be poor batch consistency. It may also be possible that the specific batch you received is just higher than other batches. I personally doubt this one, given how far "off" your testing levels are compared to what is typically seen with that salt brand.
I’m good on my test kit technique, and tested both kits twice. I’m also using a full bag of salt, I turn the bag over a few times to mix, then add a 1/4 of the bag / vicious mixing, checking salinity as I go. I opened a new Red Sea kit and new Hanna reagent, and my results were still 13.9-14 dKH.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had the heated and circulated test shut down (no heat / no circulation) for over 2-weeks now...... My results so far... No Change! ;)

Ok you got me. Up till now I mixed up 5 gal of saltwater at a time in my bathroom. I carved out a dedicated area with gear for mixing larger batches. It’s not as impressive as what you folks have but should fit my needs. I even have room for a quarantine tank or two.

I also have been watching your videos that talk about automatic water changes so it has room to add a dosing pump (very short run to the tank). It just out of my budget for an apex system right now. Perhaps reef pi. Who knows.

Anyway thanks for investigating, it helped me make a decision to do what I really wanted to do,

Last edited:

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1000 litres of Indian Ocean water delivered every 10 weeks (I change 200 litres of my 1500 litre tank+sump every 2 weeks). I probably could get away with 150 litre change every 2 weeks and do the last 100 litres a week after the last. That would stretch out deliveries to 12-13 weeks instead of 10.
Anyway, the water goes into an opaque 1000 litre IBC tank that has a fairly cheap 3000l/hr pump and a 500W heater set at 26°C switched on for 1 to 2 days before a W/C (we only need heaters for Perth Australian "winters" - they can drop to 5°C and maybe an extremely rare 0°C which is 32°F but always come up to 15-20° by noon - to convert °C to °F multiply by 1.8 and add 32). The same pump (twist a simple valve) gets the new water to the system some 25 feet around the corner really fast. Not sure if keeping the water moving all the time would do anything good or bad. The guy who delivers water keeps it in a 5000 litre tank on his truck. He reckons keeping a pump and heater going 24-7 is a waste of power. He and his father deliver water to all the LFS in Perth and metro areas. Hardly anyone mixes water here.
If I ever do have an emergency, there's 100 litre container in the house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you got me. Up till now I mixed up 5 gal of saltwater at a time in my bathroom. I carved out a dedicated area with gear for mixing larger batches. It’s not as impressive as what you folks have but should fit my needs. I even have room for a quarantine tank or two.
I also have been watching your videos that talk about automatic water changes so it has room to add a dosing pump (very short run to the tank). It just out of my budget for an apex system right now. Perhaps reef pi. Who knows.
Anyway thanks for investigating, it helped me make a decision to do what I really wanted to do,

After seeing all of the results from our testing thus far, I will definitely be mixing and storing larger batches without concern of parameter shifts. Glad we could help bring some insight to your setup! :)

J.durk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there somewhere i can find a picture of this tank? it just looks great behind randy and I would love to see it in its entirety.
sorry randy :)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there somewhere i can find a picture of this tank? it just looks great behind randy and I would love to see it in its entirety.
sorry randy :)

Haha! There's a few shots of it on our BRS Instagram account, but I'll see if @Bulk Reef Supply can throw up a full feature of it over there! ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back