Heater is always on but temp is right - will this lead to heater failure?

cweye2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I have a 40B that I’m setting up. I put in a 100w Eheim Jager heater and it’s keeping the tank right about 78 deg, which is perfect. The problem is when I check the power consumption on my Apex I see it’s constantly on...see attached pics.

I recognize that maybe the heater is a bit too small...but the 100w is marketed as up to 40 gal and it’s keeping the tank at desired temp.

My question is: Is it okay is the heater is on constantly (but maintaining desired temp) or do you think being constantly on will lead to early heater equipment failure?

Additional background, the temp in our house is only about 68 deg as we live in MN. There is no cover/lid on the tank. Two hydor power heads 1350 gph are used for flow.

Sorry for the long post - this is my first thread...thx much!

EB1BB22D-019B-44AE-8CD4-C08054D56A67.png
1A39EA20-238D-4153-99C9-FF93E8068C41.png

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is the on/off cycle is what the main source of wear and tear occurs. So if the heater is constantly turning on and off that is less desirable than always on.

FWIW I have a "back up" 300w that is stuck on, that has worked for probably 6 years.

I use it in my SW mixing barrel mainly but during the freeze in February we had in Texas I had it in my tank as well.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes undersized and yes will lead to a "fail on" event.

I run 2x 100w heaters in my 40b and when the room temp drops to below 60 for a long period it even struggles to keep up.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heating element has a lifespan. The longer it's on, the sooner it will reach the end of life.
With that said, make sure the heat is not being dissipated out of your tank and wasted. If the tank or the sump is sitting on the concrete floor, the concrete will absorb all the heat, no matter how much.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%

Back