HEATER LEAKED INTO TANK?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently set up a nano 5-gallon tank with live sand and rock a little more than 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow, I was planning on adding one clownfish (I was going to upgrade to a 10 gallon, I have everything I need except some more rock and water). However, today I put a heater that I bought a few days ago. It was a HITOP heater from Amazon. I did buy a larger wattage than what I needed because I bought a heater for a tank in advance (i.e. the 10 gallon I was upgrading to and then a 20 gallon after that). When I put the heater in the water and turned it on, almost immediately, I noticed something was slightly wrong. The heater was letting out this sort of clear oil like liquid into the tank. It was very subtle, not easily noticeable tbh I would have just walked away but I stayed for a little bit after I installed it). I took out the heater no more than 2 mins of its installation. I am worried that the heater may have leaked something into the water and I am worried this will prevent me from adding a fish tomorrow. I did a 50%water change, but ran out of water and could only add about 30-35% new water. The filter has carbon running in it by the way. I use premixed water from a lfs since this is only a 5 gallon i didn't feel the need to get a rodi just yet. I am just worried that maybe this oil like substance went into my rock and it wont come out or my sand, but I am trying to reassure myself saying that nothing might happen because I removed the heater immediately and did a 50% water change. I plan on going to a lfs tomorrow, completely removing all of the old water and adding 5 gallons of new water into the tank just in case as the bacteria is in the filter not the water yk. After that, I might add a small clownfish or damsel either the same day or the day after. What do you think? Should I proceed with course or do something different? Also, I had someone at an lfs test my water last week and he said that only my nitrates were high. he didn't really mention my ammonia or nitrites so I'm guessing they're good. i was planning to do a water change today anyway, just this happen which forced me to do it even sooner. anyways, what should i proceed with? please and thank you!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is oil in heaters. What your seeing I think is the heated water is lighter than the surrounding cold water and creating a small current or flow of the warm water in cold.

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If your tank is only 2 weeks old you should not add fish yet.
2. Never get a heater from Amazon, last one took out my tank when it self destructed.
3. No idea what kind of liquid would be inside a heater?
Water change and carbon like you are doing but you need to wait till the tank is cycled to add fish.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is oil in heaters. What your seeing I think is the heated water is lighter than the surrounding cold water and creating a small current or flow of the warm water in cold.
also i should mention that i saw some condensation inside the heater. is this normal?

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If your tank is only 2 weeks old you should not add fish yet.
2. Never get a heater from Amazon, last one took out my tank when it self destructed.
3. No idea what kind of liquid would be inside a heater?
Water change and carbon like you are doing but you need to wait till the tank is cycled to add fish.
also i should mention that i saw some condensation inside the heater. is this normal?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks, could you recommend me a good heater that is below 25 dollars for a 20 gallon tank?
Best quality and most accurate that ive used.
And ive used em all lol.
I now use the same elements just plugged into a more robust controller (ranco)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-191833_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-191833_Chrome.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 79

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no. return it and never buy a glass heater again
Condensation inside the heater is totally normal. It's just some residual moisture from when it was sealed up condensing on the glass due to the cold water. It's just as likely in a metal heater, but you don't see it. In fact, if your concern is that water is getting in, you'd see it filling up over time, not just the same amount of condensation coming and going.

As for the heater leaking, I agree with the others that it's probably just the hot water swirling as it rises, which is normal. If it was any type of liquid, it would probably be mineral (or other dielectric) oil and you'd see it on the surface of the water. I'd let it run a bit longer and you'll probably find that there's no liquid getting lower in the heater. You could even just leave it off and/or in a glass of water to see that nothing leaks out.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d spend a little extra money on eheim. Not perfect, but no heater is. Controller is nice, but it’ll cost you. Heater failure is one of the most common issues for reef keepers. They get stuck on or off and if you’re not looking it can turn bad. If your heater is oversized and it gets stuck on it can speed things up. If your volume of water is small it’s going to cool off faster if it gets stuck off. You might have luck with cheap stuff. Many of us have, but components like heaters and return pumps and ATOs can really end bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Condensation inside the heater is totally normal. It's just some residual moisture from when it was sealed up condensing on the glass due to the cold water. It's just as likely in a metal heater, but you don't see it. In fact, if your concern is that water is getting in, you'd see it filling up over time, not just the same amount of condensation coming and going.

As for the heater leaking, I agree with the others that it's probably just the hot water swirling as it rises, which is normal. If it was any type of liquid, it would probably be mineral (or other dielectric) oil and you'd see it on the surface of the water. I'd let it run a bit longer and you'll probably find that there's no liquid getting lower in the heater. You could even just leave it off and/or in a glass of water to see that nothing leaks out.
actually i think you might be right. after I unplugged and took the heater out, the water condensation disappeared and so did the droplets. i really want to keep the heater but I am worried for when I add a fish tomorrow. i think the water swirling makes sense tbh bc I don't think I saw anything on the water, just some light film but I think that is bc I ghost fed a lot and I only have a filter so there are some slight dead spots in the tank with minimal filtration. if the heater is indeed faulty, do I need to do a massive water change or worry abt the sand or rock?

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait longer to add fish my lfs said my tank was fine perimeter wise but just recently I had a nitrate spike along with amonia I trusted they said it was fine but it wasn't the tank wasn't truly fully cycled (I caught it early and fixed it thankfully I test a lot considering it's a carnivore tank) wait another week just to be on the safe side

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add my tank was 2 weeks in when they said it was cycled and it was a week or so after the levels went haywire

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back