Heater Malfunction - It finally happened to me

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, apologies as this is actually related to my sons freshwater tank not my 40 gallon. But I’ve been having issues keeping fish in my sons 8 gallon tank. They would live a few days or even a couple months and then “Runaway” according to my son.
Well I didn’t pay much attention, I figured it was the LFS as they’re not known for the highest quality.
Anyway after our last fish passed, my wife said the tank feels warm. We didn’t have a thermometer so I ran out and got a basic glass thermometer. Put it in the tank, and 95 degrees. This was one of the Tetra preprogrammed non adjustable heaters. Took the heater out and tank dropped to room temp (75). I’d never had a heater malfunction but perhaps this will fix the issue. Anyway, I know it’s a well documented issue, but don’t think it can’t happen to you. This was my first heater failure in nearly 18 years of fish keeping.
Happy Reefing!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 heaters in my tank, one has a digital read out. One is set slightly lower temp.
Now I'm going to be checking them multiple times a day.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, apologies as this is actually related to my sons freshwater tank not my 40 gallon. But I’ve been having issues keeping fish in my sons 8 gallon tank. They would live a few days or even a couple months and then “Runaway” according to my son.
Well I didn’t pay much attention, I figured it was the LFS as they’re not known for the highest quality.
Anyway after our last fish passed, my wife said the tank feels warm. We didn’t have a thermometer so I ran out and got a basic glass thermometer. Put it in the tank, and 95 degrees. This was one of the Tetra preprogrammed non adjustable heaters. Took the heater out and tank dropped to room temp (75). I’d never had a heater malfunction but perhaps this will fix the issue. Anyway, I know it’s a well documented issue, but don’t think it can’t happen to you. This was my first heater failure in nearly 18 years of fish keeping.
Happy Reefing!
Sorry that happened to your son.

I recently purchased one of those preprogrammed for a grow out tank I’m setting up. Mine was the same as yours out of the box. Heat just kept going up.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened to your son.

I recently purchased one of those preprogrammed for a grow out tank I’m setting up. Mine was the same as yours out of the box. Heat just kept going up.
Luckily, he’s only 2.5 so he’s just kinda forgetting about them after a day or two

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back