Heater smoking in Mixing Station

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot my my heater was left on in my mixing station when I did a waterchange. I came out and found it smoking in the garage. I dropped it in the couple gallons of water left to cool it down. Is the mixing container still usable? Should fill and run carbon to remove any contaminants prior to mixing a new batch?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth the risk imo. Id get a new one.

OP
OP
reefbandit

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoking . I haven't pulled it out yet but it looked damaged you could smell burnt electrical. It's a $300 mixing container that's why I wondered if it might be salvageable.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoke wouldn't bother me. If there's a hole in the container, I'd be looking up HDPE (I assume that's what it is made of) welders.

OP
OP
reefbandit

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoke wouldn't bother me. If there's a hole in the container, I'd be looking up HDPE (I assume that's what it is made of) welders.
No hole in it I was just concerned wasn't sure if the metals could leach into to plastic or something crazy

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoking . I haven't pulled it out yet but it looked damaged you could smell burnt electrical. It's a $300 mixing container that's why I wondered if it might be salvageable.
So the mixing container was smoking from the heater then? I'd say the container is probably fine if it holds water. The heater may be a different story.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot my my heater was left on in my mixing station when I did a waterchange. I came out and found it smoking in the garage. I dropped it in the couple gallons of water left to cool it down. Is the mixing container still usable? Should fill and run carbon to remove any contaminants prior to mixing a new batch?
I’d also take a close look at the heater once it’s cooled down. I once had a heater that was switched on accidentally, I noticed after a few minutes and put it in a water bucket but the sudden hot to cold caused the glass to crack. Just make sure there’s no cracks on your heater. Also I’d just get a new bucket, in the long run the cost of the bucket seems cheaper than if you go through the hassle of making more water, the salt and then finding out it’s no good. You could still use the bucket to store extra goods, like cleaned buckets etc.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar happen. I forgot that my heater was on in the mixing barrel and it had a smoky meltdown when I was doing a water change and the water level in the barrel left the heater uncovered. The heater was a Finnex titanium 800 watt heater. Only the plastic sleeve melted and then only partially. I dumped the few gallons left, verified that the heater body was undamaged and it has continued to work for 6 months since.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to watch your Heater smoke when you know it’s damaging their health.
However, smokers need to decide to quit because they realise it will benefit them, not because someone else wants them to.
They might stop smoking for your sake, but they won't stay smoke-free unless they're doing it for themselves.
You should show that you care.
Don't nag but encourage them to quit smoking, be tactful when pointing out the benefits of not smoking and offer your support.

I wish you and your Heater all the best!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back