Heating an RO/DI 100G Water Tank? (Show me Yours)

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals,
I am about to start setting up my RO/DI Water storage room and was wondering about heating. Couple of questions... First off I live in Nashville Tennessee area so you know the climate. I will be running two 105G Water storage tanks. Tall and thin.
IMG_2190.JPG

What type of heater should I use? Should I heat both tanks? Or is heating the RO/DI water tank pointless? I will be running a 10G ATO So I am not sure how often I would be adding large amounts of RO/DI water to the tank. I am using the Cobalt 300W NEO-THERM SUBMERSIBLE HEATER for my main tank and I choose this after much research and feel this is the best for my tank, but wondering if it would be good for a 100G Water storage tank.
207705-cobalt-neo-therm-submersible-heater-b.jpg

Also I want to see how you guys mount heaters in these type of tanks, or do you just let them hang inside. Keep in mind also the reason I am asking with the 300W NEO-THERM SUBMERSIBLE HEATER is that it technically is two 150w heaters tethered together, SO I would need to mount both. Which is also making me question if that is a good choice. Also what Thermostats do you run for making sure your heater is working for your Water Storage tanks? Is there anything else I am missing when it comes to setting up a water storage room?

Quercus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a cheap heater and power head in mine. Just drop them in and let them hang or rest on bottom. I only heat and circulate my salt water mixing tank. Try to get both as close to bottom as possible since the salt tank will not be full all the time.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no need to heat the RODI water. Where are you setting up this station - in a garage, shed, inside? I would only heat the saltwater if you’re mixing it in a space that is not climate controlled, and even then it might not be necessary in your climate.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm puzzled....you have a 300 W heater for your DT....telling me maybe a 120-180 gallons, or there about. But now you want to not only make 100 gallons, but also heat all of it??? Are you planning on 100 gallon water changes? That's why I'm puzzled. Only heat up that what you need.

Now as far as heating water, you don't want to heat water until you're ready to add it to your tank. To restate this differently, mix your salt in unheated water. It's counterintuitive, but it mixes faster/better in cool water.....blame it on the calcium part. Once the salt is dissolved, then you may heat it up.

If you're in no rush to use this 100 gallons, a 300W heater would work. If it were me, I'd be using a 1000W heater. JMTC

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm puzzled....you have a 300 W heater for your DT....telling me maybe a 120-180 gallons, or there about. But now you want to not only make 100 gallons, but also heat all of it??? Are you planning on 100 gallon water changes? That's why I'm puzzled. Only heat up that what you need.

Now as far as heating water, you don't want to heat water until you're ready to add it to your tank. To restate this differently, mix your salt in unheated water. It's counterintuitive, but it mixes faster/better in cool water.....blame it on the calcium part. Once the salt is dissolved, then you may heat it up.

If you're in no rush to use this 100 gallons, a 300W heater would work. If it were me, I'd be using a 1000W heater. JMTC

I agree with you cooler mixing is faster but Salinity changes with temperature so when you’re mixing the salt you have to have it to the same temperature as your tank to test it accurately. Depending on the temp in my garage I will turn the heater on when I start mixing and when it gets to 78 I may have to add more salt or more water depending if I was close with my initial scoops of salt. I also found that when my garage is around 60 degrees I can raise the temp to 78 just with my external panworld pump and not need the heater at all.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't agree with you more @haanstang about SG and water temperature. On cool water, your SG will be higher when compared to heated water. So here's what I actually do when making water.....I know that 15 cups of salt in 25 gallons of water will get me very close to the SG I want when I heat it up. Once dissolved I heat it up and measure SG. Some times it's spot on, and other times I might need to add up to 1/2 cup. And that's it!

Last edited:

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live in Nashville to lol. DO you shop at aquatic critter? I know this has nothing to do with your question but its not often you see Nashville people on here.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't heat mine or use a powerhead. It is in a closet next to a climate controlled room though. I have an external pump hooked up inline that I use to mix my salt for a couple hours before I do a water change.

Other than that it's hooked up to a float valve in my sump that tops off the water.

20171113_125906.jpg

20171122_111626.jpg

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't agree with you more @haanstang about SG and water temperature. On cool water, your SG will be higher when compared to heated water. So here's what I actually do when making water.....I know that 15 cups of salt in 25 gallons of water will get me very close to the SG I want when I heat it up. Once dissolved I heat it up and measure SG. Some times it spot on, and other times I might need to add up to 1/2 cup. And that's it!

That’s better than how I do it. Lol. I may have more time involved in my way but sometimes you need to get out of the wife’s domain.

OP
OP
Rhinotronics

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no need to heat the RODI water. Where are you setting up this station - in a garage, shed, inside? I would only heat the saltwater if you’re mixing it in a space that is not climate controlled, and even then it might not be necessary in your climate.

I am setting up the water storage in the laundry room. I have heard and read that you want to hear the salt mix so that when doing any kind of major water changes the temps match. So I’m not throwing colder water into the tank.

OP
OP
Rhinotronics

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 265g tank. I have a sump that is about 80-90g that the heater will be in. I will be using a pump to circulate the mix. Does that help?

OP
OP
Rhinotronics

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Nashville to lol. DO you shop at aquatic critter? I know this has nothing to do with your question but its not often you see Nashville people on here.

Yes I’ve been a few times. I’m actually up in Mount Juliet, so it’s about a 30 min drive there. But yep, new to the area. Hit me up some time. Would love to talk shop or just meet people in the hobby.

OP
OP
Rhinotronics

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't heat mine or use a powerhead. It is in a closet next to a climate controlled room though. I have an external pump hooked up inline that I use to mix my salt for a couple hours before I do a water change.

Other than that it's hooked up to a float valve in my sump that tops off the water.

20171113_125906.jpg

20171122_111626.jpg

Very nice set up. I hope mine looks that good when I’m done.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 265g tank. I have a sump that is about 80-90g that the heater will be in. I will be using a pump to circulate the mix. Does that help?

I'm guessing in Florida you can get away with less wattage. However, that said, I'd be happier with two 300W heaters (if not higher), for that volume of water.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't heat my ato water, as it's added so slowly to make any difference. When I mix up 40 gallons of saltwater to do a waterchange I just throw a heater in for a few hours before I use it. I use an aqueon pro vs a glass in the containers, so when it breaks I don't have to fish the broken glass out.

OP
OP
Rhinotronics

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing in Florida you can get away with less wattage. However, that said, I'd be happier with two 300W heaters (if not higher), for that volume of water.

But the heater is going to be in the 80g sump. So it’s not having to heat the whole 265g tank at once. Yes in FL things were different, which is where I bought it all.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve been a few times. I’m actually up in Mount Juliet, so it’s about a 30 min drive there. But yep, new to the area. Hit me up some time. Would love to talk shop or just meet people in the hobby.

If you haven't yet...Check out Emerald Bay in Old Hickory and 7 Seas in Hendersonville. Both are run by great guys and always helpful. Aquatic Critter is the biggest fish store and also very nice.

OP
OP
Rhinotronics

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't yet...Check out Emerald Bay in Old Hickory and 7 Seas in Hendersonville. Both are run by great guys and always helpful. Aquatic Critter is the biggest fish store and also very nice.

Yep. Spoke with both of them last week.

dqbryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals,
I am about to start setting up my RO/DI Water storage room and was wondering about heating. Couple of questions... First off I live in Nashville Tennessee area so you know the climate. I will be running two 105G Water storage tanks. Tall and thin.
IMG_2190.JPG

What type of heater should I use? Should I heat both tanks? Or is heating the RO/DI water tank pointless? I will be running a 10G ATO So I am not sure how often I would be adding large amounts of RO/DI water to the tank. I am using the Cobalt 300W NEO-THERM SUBMERSIBLE HEATER for my main tank and I choose this after much research and feel this is the best for my tank, but wondering if it would be good for a 100G Water storage tank.
207705-cobalt-neo-therm-submersible-heater-b.jpg

Also I want to see how you guys mount heaters in these type of tanks, or do you just let them hang inside. Keep in mind also the reason I am asking with the 300W NEO-THERM SUBMERSIBLE HEATER is that it technically is two 150w heaters tethered together, SO I would need to mount both. Which is also making me question if that is a good choice. Also what Thermostats do you run for making sure your heater is working for your Water Storage tanks? Is there anything else I am missing when it comes to setting up a water storage room?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back