Heating large tanks with your gas hot water heater. Save 40% on energy cost!

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1/3 hp chiller sitting in my garage and another 1/4 hp as well. If I decided to go the titanium exchanger route and spit between a window unit and the boiler how would that actually work?. The boiler is sending hot water and the AC unit is sending freon. I'm far from a heat and AC guy that's why im asking. I'm wondering if I'm better off using a heat exchanger for heat and then a titanium coil for chilling? Any thoughts.
I was thinking you were just running a coil of water on the evaporator coil of the window ac, and using the same circulation pump to move water over it- kindof a getto air-water heat pump.
If you are going to do it with actual freon, then you might as well buy a $600 mini split and get both heating and cooling out of it- I just have no idea how you would do this (Yet).

irReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying it’s not worth it to chill my tank with cold water?
Right now I use two computer fans to keep my tank u set 80 degrees I figured cold water is a lot less noisy
I would agree it would use a great deal of cold water! Your water bill could get large!

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree it would use a great deal of cold water! Your water bill could get large!
He was planning on recirculating the water, not dumping it to the drain. But your right- I would hate to see the water bill of someone who dumped it to drain!

irReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m recirculating the water I shouldn’t use anymore correct?
If recirculating then no it won't use a bunch of water. Are you going to cool the water somehow? Maybe I missed a post. Without cooling, the cold water process won't be as water efficient as the hot water heater method (ie: as it is recirculated, it is reheated).

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a gas on demand hot water heater this will definitely work (in fact it will be more efficient than a tank hot water heater), provided the on demand is sufficiently large for your house and tank, and you can figure out the plumbing

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere in the 11 pages of this thread, but has anyone verified that saltwater can be run through a hot water heater without damaging it? I'm interested in plumbing my tank into a small tankless and getting rid of the in tank heaters but afraid that its not made to handle salt water.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere in the 11 pages of this thread, but has anyone verified that saltwater can be run through a hot water heater without damaging it? I'm interested in plumbing my tank into a small tankless and getting rid of the in tank heaters but afraid that its not made to handle salt water.
No tank water goes thru the hot water heater

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no salt water can be put through a tankless- that is what the titanium heat exchanger is for. If you are planning on having a completely separate system then I might suggests a heat pump- more efficient than gas and has the added benefit of being a chiller if you need it. However this depends on the system, your house, and where you live.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven’t found a cheap titanium heater

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TomLi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use pex tubing with a heat exchanger I have a garage sump so in the winter it gets pretty cold it is also a decent run to get hot water so if I could make that run in pexs to the heat exchanger with out cause a health risk or does any pexs still cause that risk

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use pex tubing with a heat exchanger I have a garage sump so in the winter it gets pretty cold it is also a decent run to get hot water so if I could make that run in pexs to the heat exchanger with out cause a health risk or does any pexs still cause that risk
I was trying to do that but not enough led will be in my sump to do anything in my opinion

TomLi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to do that but not enough led will be in my sump to do anything in my opinion

Not enough led??

I just ment he ran his hot water to heat exchanger is copper pipe I have a long run so it will get expensive so I was hoping I could run that in pex but not risk anything

Back