Heating the new Saltwater or RO water to replace the water removed during a water change

christianhherzog1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I would like to raise the temperature of the water in my 2.5 and 5 gallon containers I use to store fresh RO and Saltwater in to the temperature of my reef tank so that as I syphon off water I can pour in the new water and it will be the same temperature as the water in the tank
Both the tank and the containers are in the finished basement and it stays around 67 degrees. The tank’s heater keeps the tank right around 80 degrees so when I’ve done my water changes it has negative effects on my tank inhabitants. My main concern would be metals leaching into the new water from the heating source , but I am honestly not sure. Years ago I bred freshwater angelfish and I used gallons of distilled water from my local Walmart to do all water changes but one day in the winter I left the water in the car and when I brought it in it was really cold so I boiled some water and poured just enough to warm the water up and I was not educated enough to understand heavy metals at the time and lost half my fish before massive water changes and chemical dosing took place to save the other half. At first I thought I could just use a regular in tank heater but I imagine that it would lock up if it was removed from the water too soon and it was still hot even if it was unplugged but I’m not sure and would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on that as well because I do have an extra EHEIM 100 watt.
Any suggestions thoughts ideas or what you personally do would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheap Fluval heater and a no-name power head in a 5 gallon bucket. I mix everything up the day prior and check it before water change.

I do unplug The heater and wait before removal.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"My main concern would be metals leaching into the new water from the heating source." I'm confused....where would this mysterious metals come from. Even using a "metal" heater....titanium heater....the amount of metal that would enter the water is virtually zero....certainly no where near a toxic level....actually no where near detectable without fancy pants chemical testing. And I'm not sure what happened to your angelfish, but warming water in a metal pot is not going to put metals into the water that would be an issue. If that was the case, we'd all be walking around with tons of metals in us from the cooking of foods in metal pots.

My suggesting is to mix your salt in cool (unheated) water because the carbonate portion dissolves better in cool water. Once the salt is mixed (I prefer overnight), or when you're ready to use it, heat it up. I leave the un-plugged heater in my mixing bucket while I remove the old water from my tank. This allows the heater to cool so I'm not pulling it out hot.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set the cold holding container in a common sink of hot water for 5 mins/ world's easiest solution/no need to use heater and run it for four hours.

Last edited:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a cheap heater in the container is the easiest way.

Ive used hot almost boiling water in a ziplock bag to heat the water quickly in an emergency situation once.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you’re doing massive water changes the temperature change in the tank will be minimal and will not effect your inhabitants.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back