"Heavy in - Heavy out". How heavy is heavy? :-)

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 grams of frozen (mostly mysis) and 0.5 gram of flakes/pellets per day,

Running the aquaforest probiotic method, I feed almost that much in my 2 month old 40 breeder, and lately I've had to start dosing phosphate to keep it from bottoming out.

Nutrient export is bacteria, skimmer, and 10% weekly water change.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding is extremely important to supply food to both corals, fish and inverts. But we don't often post how much we feed. With my current export capacity, I can only feed 8 grams of frozen (mostly mysis) and 0.5 gram of flakes/pellets per day, or my NO3 will rise. I have a 170 gallon Acropora tank with 14 fish, half of which are tangs. I have a 2-3" sandbed, skimmer, fleece and small 10 L refugium with chaeto, 10% weekly water change. The tank is 1,5 years old. I don't dose anything but kalk and 2-part.

How much can you feed without sending PO4/NO3 through the roof? How large is your tank? Somehow, I feel my export could be higher. Particularly interested in the acroholics among you. @jda @Big E @therman @TUSI @tenurepro @bubbaque @SBB Corals ?
Just chiming in and did not read the entire thread, sorry for any info repeat.

When comparing nutrient inputs, % protein content times mass of food and % phosphorous times mass of food would provide a more consistent set of metrics to define and compare nutrient input. Roughly 16% of protein is nitrogen and for a first approximation, mostly goes to nitrate production.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give phosphate calculations for a variety of different foods and amounts fed here:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back