OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean bucket - freshwater same temp as aquarium. Allow to swim up to 5 mins
Add general cure or ruby rally pro which is formalin based daily for 5-7 days.
as for breathing. . . add oxygen via airstone and check your ammonia and nitrate levels to assure theyre not high.
This happening overnite can and does happening. They also do this during pairing but this looks like a little more than a pairing issue
They’re obsessed with each other they never leave each other’s side I just can’t believe it to be aggression

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They’re obsessed with each other they never leave each other’s side I just can’t believe it to be aggression
It happens and not just with clowns

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would echo the separation advice too.

I had a pair of clowns who were fine with one another for over a year, no bite marks no fin tears. Then one day I came home and the larger one was beat up and had bite marks on its body.

I do not have any first hand experience with brook but here's more info on it from Humble Fish

Good luck with your nemos!

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought it was too I have a really hard time believing that it’s aggression I have never once seen then show any aggression towards each other at all since the second I put them together they haven’t left each other’s side they’re obsessed with each other and now the other clown is new thing heavy and having a tough time staying afloat. Did your fish have chunks missing overnight ? Like I out of nowhere
Yeah like my clown fish and firefish had what looked like bite marks but how many firefish do you know who bite a clownfish? Anyway my clown fish ended up dying because I assumed it was aggression but I managed to save my firefish

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a difference in hanging out and bonding.
If she’s moving to spawn, she may not want him.
There’s also a difference between fighting and constant harassment.
The reason I didn’t agree with Brook is that you posted this happened overnight.
Brook would progress to that in hours.

Whatever happened, it may be finished.

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost them both I’m so devastated my poor babies!! I have no idea what happened?!? everything was normal it couldn’t have been aggression because the other clown didn’t have one mark on her and she died too I’m so heartbroken. What did I do wrong?? I feel so guilty and felt so helpless. Ugh my heart rip my little ones.. I loved you so much!

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a difference in hanging out and bonding.
If she’s moving to spawn, she may not want him.
There’s also a difference between fighting and constant harassment.
The reason I didn’t agree with Brook is that you posted this happened overnight.
Brook would progress to that in hours.

Whatever happened, it may be finished.
I lost them both I’m so devastated I have no idea what happened everything was normal it couldn’t have been aggression because the other clown didn’t have one mark on her and she died too I’m so heartbroken

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure it wasn’t aggression because I separated them and when I came back about an hour later his tail was almost halfway gone. And the two were separated...what happened to my babies

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure it wasn’t aggression because I separated them and when I came back about an hour later his tail was almost halfway gone. And the two were separated...what happened to my babies
I’m so sorry for your loss, losing fish is an indescribably bad experience, it puts a bad taste in your mouth, but at least you’ll come out of it stronger than before, Brook is a very fast killing disease, so before you buy a new set of clowns, you should make sure you have something that has 37% formalin in it, and while your at it just get everything that can cure fish diseases, and if you haven’t already I suggest getting a qt

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost them both I’m so devastated my poor babies!! I have no idea what happened?!? everything was normal it couldn’t have been aggression because the other clown didn’t have one mark on her and she died too I’m so heartbroken. What did I do wrong?? I feel so guilty and felt so helpless. Ugh my heart rip my little ones.. I loved you so much!

I was probably brook which needs to be treated immediately as it kills clowns quickly.

You can not add another fish for 6 weeks. The disease will still be present in the tank. If you add new clowns now, the new clowns could catch brook still in the water and get sick as well. The parasite will run its course in 6 weeks.

Fish disease is common in this hobby and why many have a quarantine tank. Be glad you only had two fish as I have seen people lose dozens of fish to disease.

If you can not quarantine you may want to consider a hydrogen peroxide dip before you put fish in your display tank as it will knock off a bunch of parasites.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going to go against the grain and say that it might be a water contaminent. You know your fish better than we do and if you don't think it was aggression, I tend to believe you. If it was aggression they would fight until one was dead. That's usually how clowns are. To me, it looks like a secondary infection...but the cause might be something chemical in the water. Perhaps an aerosol or cleaning spray that got in the tank, something that might've been on your hands (soap/lotion), or even a plug in air freshener can all poison a tank.

True Story: I once stuck my hands in a tank full of freshwater swordtails. I didn't realize that there was still soap residue on my hands and the entire tank (100+ fish) died within a few hours. The swordtails fins as they were dying looked exactly like what you have pictured on your clowns.

Do you have any other livestock in the tank? Inverts? Corals? Are they showing signs of stress?

Check your ammonia levels too. I'm curious to see what they are.

Last edited:

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss! I am also too familiar with the feeling of helplessness :( no matter how hard you tried.

There are just so many hurdles you had to overcome and even if you treated them perfectly there are so many factors that you may not be able to treat. You had to first figure out what was happening, then figure out an appropriate treatment, and actually getting the treatment, all while having that time constraint. It’s definitely a stressful process due to the urgency of the situation as your babies were deteriorating rapidly.

Great job on asking for help and providing them with the best chance of survival! The next pair of clowns will thank you! Don’t be too hard on yourself and best of luck on the next nemos!

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss! I am also too familiar with the feeling of helplessness :( no matter how hard you tried.

There are just so many hurdles you had to overcome and even if you treated them perfectly there are so many factors that you may not be able to treat. You had to first figure out what was happening, then figure out an appropriate treatment, and actually getting the treatment, all while having that time constraint. It’s definitely a stressful process due to the urgency of the situation as your babies were deteriorating rapidly.

Great job on asking for help and providing them with the best chance of survival! The next pair of clowns will thank you! Don’t be too hard on yourself and best of luck on the next nemos!
Thank you so much I needed to hear that I feel so bad and I only lost one one is still alive but barely and now her color is turning white and her fins are deteriorating this all happened in a matter of 2 hours half of her tail is gone what the heck is going on???

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back