Helfrichi lymphocytosis and or ich?

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

i think my tank has ich, and I’ve been trying to manage with water changes and keeping on top of fish nutrition (sell on, garlic, mix of mysis brine and cyclops). At first i thought it was lymphocytosis since i only saw some spots on the fins of my fire fish. I have since seen some spots on my clownfish, making me think it is ich. I looked at my firefish today, and it’s like no ich I’ve ever seen. The cysts seem to be protruding far off of his body.

Here is a link to pics and a video

is this ich causing it or potentially something else?

could anyone offer some advice on how to tackle this? I’m aware of ich treatments but it is going to be very difficult to get my display ich free as i have a shrimp goby pair that lives under the rocks and will be impossible to catch. I do have an extra 10 gallon tank i can try to set up as a hospital tank if i need to remove fish to save them from ich. The shrimp goby has no spots and has never had symptoms

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately - I can only see the first pic of the filefish - and none of the others - and with the blue light it's hard to tell. I would say 'Ich' - rather than lymphocystis based on what I see and the limited history you gave. Did you recently make changes, etc? add fish? are the spots changing from day to day (the location or number) - if so, that's ich. Additionally - any other symptoms - breathing etc.

The best way to deal with this is a hospital tank - with QT/copper for 30 days - and leaving your display tank fallow for 45-76 days - depending on this protocol you use. If you have inverts - you can try hypo salinity in your display tank.

FWIW, IMHO diet, though important, will not alone prevent or eradicate Ich - nor will water changes - which will likely produce more stress and issues. Unfortunately I cannot respond again to your thread due to being out of town - but will use the #fishmedic hashtag to get the rest of the experts on board. Hope this helps - sorry for your troubles and best wishes with your tank and fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics very blue to clearly distinguish but from what I can tell, it’s secondary bacterial and the dots look like bacterial tufts.
With ich, you will/would notice loss of appetite, heavy breathing, listless behavior and scratching/darting and the dots morecc CC widespread.
Best treatment in quarantine would be neoplex by seachem otherwise kanaplex

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ich outbreak started when one of my clownfish disappeared. My assumption is it somehow went through the overflow and died. I have since added overflow blockers to keep fish from going thru. I think this has reduced the flow, increasing the concentration of Theronts as they aren’t flowing into my filter floss which is removed weekly. My tank is filled with inverts and corals so I’d be hesitant to treat the display. I’ll set up a hospital tank, but i think it will be impossible to fallow my display since i am unable to remove all fish. I’ll just be putting them back into an environment with ich. I do also have a 5g bucket that i could try out TTM.

thanks for the input on the potential secondary bacterial infection. These spots just popped up today and in the past, they have changed location. I’ll see how long they persist.

Fish are all eating, but firefish is doing a bit of darting and flashes against the sand every so often.

i can also try to get better quality pics when i get back from work, just wanted to get something before i went in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

i think my tank has ich, and I’ve been trying to manage with water changes and keeping on top of fish nutrition (sell on, garlic, mix of mysis brine and cyclops). At first i thought it was lymphocytosis since i only saw some spots on the fins of my fire fish. I have since seen some spots on my clownfish, making me think it is ich. I looked at my firefish today, and it’s like no ich I’ve ever seen. The cysts seem to be protruding far off of his body.

Here is a link to pics and a video

is this ich causing it or potentially something else?

could anyone offer some advice on how to tackle this? I’m aware of ich treatments but it is going to be very difficult to get my display ich free as i have a shrimp goby pair that lives under the rocks and will be impossible to catch. I do have an extra 10 gallon tank i can try to set up as a hospital tank if i need to remove fish to save them from ich. The shrimp goby has no spots and has never had symptoms

Looks like it is ich - at least the spots on the upper right side of the head do. It isn't Lymphocystis. It could be benign mucus. The way you tell is to watch the spots for a couple of days. If the spots come and go, change in location and number, it is probably ich. If they are in the same spot in the same numbers, it likely isn't ich.

Treating a full blown case of ich in your display with invertebrates isn't going to be possible. If you catch it early enough, you might be able to "manage" it by installing a strong UV, and siphoning the sand early every morning.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics very blue to clearly distinguish but from what I can tell, it’s secondary bacterial and the dots look like bacterial tufts.
With ich, you will/would notice loss of appetite, heavy breathing, listless behavior and scratching/darting and the dots morecc CC widespread.
Best treatment in quarantine would be neoplex by seachem otherwise kanaplex
This is not a secondary bacterial infection - no redness - no streaking - I'm sorry I totally disagree. There could be a secondary bacterial infection - but not this.l. It's Cryptocaryon IMHO.

EDIT - this was a little unclear - what I meant to say - for the OP - is that the underlying problem is ICH - and only treating with antibiotics is unlikely to be successful, but there MAY be a secondary bacterial infection on top of that. The rationale for saying this is that I would not imagine a bacterial infection affecting multiple fish at the same time.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back