Helfrichi showing some worrying behavior, interesting spot towards the tail

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This night while I was feeding the tank, I noticed the Helfrichi acting a bit strange. Particularly some rubbing against the sand which is always worrisome but I also noticed some weird twitching towards the tail.

It's eating just fine, and there's no visible white spots so I don't think it's Ich or Velvet however there is this small spot towards its tail which im thinking is a sign of something. Unfortunately it couldn't come close enough to the Glass to get a Macro pic but it's noticeable. Does this look like the start of something ?

Right Side Looks good
DSC04743.JPG

However the spot on the left is worrying
DSC04749.JPG

DSC04750.JPG
DSC04750.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This night while I was feeding the tank, I noticed the Helfrichi acting a bit strange. Particularly some rubbing against the sand which is always worrisome but I also noticed some weird twitching towards the tail.

It's eating just fine, and there's no visible white spots so I don't think it's Ich or Velvet however there is this small spot towards its tail which im thinking is a sign of something. Unfortunately it couldn't come close enough to the Glass to get a Macro pic but it's noticeable. Does this look like the start of something ?

Right Side Looks good
DSC04743.JPG

However the spot on the left is worrying
DSC04749.JPG

DSC04750.JPG
DSC04750.JPG
May be a bite mark. Any occupants in tank antagonizing or intimidating fish?
They often dart into rocks which may be injury

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a bite mark. Any occupants in tank antagonizing or intimidating fish?
They often dart into rocks which may be injury
The only other fish are a Biota Trimma Striatum and an ORA Tiger Goby, both haven't touched the Helfrichi.

I think you might be right about the injury though, mine likes to dart into a cave in the rocks when it gets scared / sleeping and maybe something spooked it and accidently scratched itself. That's the optimistic outcome.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The only other fish are a Biota Trimma Striatum and an ORA Tiger Goby, both haven't touched the Helfrichi.

I think you might be right about the injury though, mine likes to dart into a cave in the rocks when it gets scared / sleeping and maybe something spooked it and accidently scratched itself. That's the optimistic outcome.
Mine has this type of mark injury and they dive into rocks like torpedos

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice pictures, by the way.

I would just watch that for now. Keep watching for strange behavior. If you do eventually suspect flukes, prazi pro can go right into a reef.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue damsel that has had a side injury causing even scale loss, this has happened twice but they are fish that move quickly between rocks, dartfish do too if something scares them so it could just be a scratch.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back